• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Only 11 weeks to go for another year's results

Even Aussies dream of different cultures, different societies and different opportunities :) Living in a developed country doesn't stop the desire to explore another life sometimes :)

Q

I think that immigration to US (like to any other country these days) is more about wanting to have different experiences , wanting to live in a different way and explore different cultures and opportunities. Yes, the social development of a country and the 'coolness' is something to consider when filling some immigration papers, but that's not the only reason...

Even Aussies dream of different cultures, different societies and different opportunities :) Living in a developed country doesn't stop the desire to explore another life sometimes :)

Q

Exactly!
I've always dreamed of living in the US. I"m 22 and have had 2 working visas there. Aussie's are lucky to be from such an amazing country but even we dream of something different and exciting!

7 more weeks to go! 1 of May may be a celebration! We all hope so!
Best of luck to all of you out there!

Hi all,

I've been popping in to visit the forums every now and again over the past year or so. I figured it was time I posted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm an Aussie who first lived in the US for a year when I was 18 years old. I worked as a nanny for a family, and fell in love with the country. Ever since, it has been my goal to move back there and live permanently. Over the years, I've taken many opportunities to live and work there, some short term, some open ended, but always on a non-immigrant visa (I've held various J1 and a couple of E3 visas). And throughout the years, I have almost religiously entered the DV lottery. This year - DV-2014 marks my 16th year since first entering back in 1998. There were a couple of years where I didn't enter due to disillusionment or forgetfulness, but I'd say I've entered at least 13 or 14 times.

It might seem really depressing, or like a horrible wake-up call to hear that I've been unsuccessful for that long, but really, I just wanted to share that while I haven't been lucky, I remain persistent and optimistic. I figure that it will happen for me eventually. And in the meantime, I carry on with my life, I don't let the chances of winning the lottery determine what I do, and I look for alternative ways to live and work in the US. The E3 visa is a fantastic option for Aussie professionals - it's easier to get than most other employer sponsored visa, it's cheaper, and doesn't have a renewal limit. In fact, I plan to return to the US next year to find a job and get sponsored on an E3 visa - my third.

But with any luck, I'll be a DV winner this year, and be making that move as a permanent resident instead. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone - not long to go now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nicole and welcome to the forum, so nice to meet you :)

Thank you for sharing your story; what incredible patience you have! I'd always had in my mind that most Aussies win within about 5 years of applying, obviously not! Statistically, I think it's time your number came up :D In our case, I am sure my hubby could apply for an E3 after becoming a citizen this year (I am Aussie, he Canadian) but after he has worked over there for over a decade on TN's, we have decided to just pin our luck on the Green Card this time, no more temp. visas. You are certainly wise in advising to move along in life without planning everything around the lottery. To me the DV has now become one of those things in my 'life backpack' that I carry around with me. One day, I may need to use it. In the meantime, it's just there :)

Where in the States have you been working and where would you like to move to permanently? We want to move to South Bay area as my husband is in IT.

Q

Hi all,

I've been popping in to visit the forums every now and again over the past year or so. I figured it was time I posted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm an Aussie who first lived in the US for a year when I was 18 years old. I worked as a nanny for a family, and fell in love with the country. Ever since, it has been my goal to move back there and live permanently. Over the years, I've taken many opportunities to live and work there, some short term, some open ended, but always on a non-immigrant visa (I've held various J1 and a couple of E3 visas). And throughout the years, I have almost religiously entered the DV lottery. This year - DV-2014 marks my 16th year since first entering back in 1998. There were a couple of years where I didn't enter due to disillusionment or forgetfulness, but I'd say I've entered at least 13 or 14 times.

It might seem really depressing, or like a horrible wake-up call to hear that I've been unsuccessful for that long, but really, I just wanted to share that while I haven't been lucky, I remain persistent and optimistic. I figure that it will happen for me eventually. And in the meantime, I carry on with my life, I don't let the chances of winning the lottery determine what I do, and I look for alternative ways to live and work in the US. The E3 visa is a fantastic option for Aussie professionals - it's easier to get than most other employer sponsored visa, it's cheaper, and doesn't have a renewal limit. In fact, I plan to return to the US next year to find a job and get sponsored on an E3 visa - my third.

But with any luck, I'll be a DV winner this year, and be making that move as a permanent resident instead. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone - not long to go now :)

@Nicole,
welcome to dis great forum, full of optimistic and hope.
i pray on ur bhave that ur dreams shall come true come dis 1st of may. including well wishers.
nweton.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Qewty, I think that's a really great way to look at it - the "life backpack." Good luck with hubby's Aussie citizenship!

I have lived in Massachusetts, The San Bernadino mountains in CA, New York and LA (also lived in Vancouver for a year!). I'm currently in my last year of a film degree (career change), so LA makes the most sense for me for future work prospects. Thankfully, I love it there. I can't do any more frozen winters haha!

Welcome, Nicole. I certainly think you win a prize for persistence!

Since there are some first timers on the list, I thought I would mention my own experience with the DV Lottery. Well, not MY experience, my partner's. I'm a US citizen, and she is Australian. We were SO sure she was going to win a slot her first year. We believed so strongly that we were going to be lucky. I believe Qewty will understand what I'm going to say...

When she did not get a slot that first year, we were totally devastated. Totally. It took about two weeks before we could even start to climb out of the depression of not winning.

It has gotten better each year, thank goodness. We continue to live on two continents, hoping, hoping, hoping, and spending quite a bit of effort and money on traveling back and forth in order to be together.

For you first timers, just know that the first year of disappointment is the hardest. I cannot believe Nicole has been in the game for so long without a slot. I sure hope she gets lucky this year!!!!

I hope this year is lucky for you and your partner, sukie! I cannot imagine being so far from the person I loved.

In the early years of entering, it was so much of an unknown. I first learned about the lottery via a classified ad in the newspaper. I had only just gotten internet access, so even the idea of searching for dv lottery info didn't cross my mind. And back then, notification was through regular mail. I remember being aware of the general period of when letters got mailed out, and hoping there'd be an envelope for me when I got home, but because they only notified winners, it was more like, no news is good news in a way. There was no definitive "you were not selected" so there was no definitive disappointment.

I had no idea on statistics - how many people were actually entering, or how many Aussies actually won. There's so much more information about it now, that I think it's both a good and bad thing. We can estimate our chances based on our country, and we can check up on information posted on the official site. Back then, it was like the money lotteries - no idea what your chances were, you just had to be in it to have a chance of winning.

I agree with sukie though - finding out you didn't win is a disappointment. But it's up to you how big a disappointment it is. We all are in different situations, some people have more riding on it than others.

My advice would be to remain hopeful, but be realistic. In the case of Aussie entrants, we have about a 5% chance of winning. Those odds are pretty low, so I think keeping your expectations in line with that will help you to avoid some of the disappointment. And there are all these lovely people here in the forum to help you through it, no matter what.

Wow, Nicole! You get the award for amazing perseverance! I'm an Aussie who finally came through this year - DV2013 and as of 7th of March, a GC holder - after my 9th try! Ever since they first started doing it online in the DV2005 draw. I'd heard about it before, with the mailed-in applications but never bothered with it then.

My husband actually got selected in the last DV crop, the infamous botched-up one of DV2012 but got disqualified due to their alleged "programming error", so we've been through some ups and downs with this thing. Hearing about the DV2012 debacle was a huge letdown for us, we couldn't believe it and were so disappointed for a few days but since this whole thing is not something we absolutely need (like Qewty does), it wasn't too devastating. We applied again, not thinking we'd be selected ever again, but lo and behold I got the lovely letter the very next year after the big disappointment. So all the best to you and everyone else. Only 6 weeks away now. I'll cross my fingers and toes for you!

Back then, it was like the money lotteries - no idea what your chances were, you just had to be in it to have a chance of winning.

But the fact that we know what the chances are still makes no difference if one will be in that small percentage of winners.

And the same applies for number of times applying, could be your 15th go [well done on perseverance] or the first one...

SERBinUK, that was not what I was saying at all. I was comparing the experience itself, i.e the massive increase of knowledge that we have now versus the void of knowledge in the early years of the lottery.

Of course it doesn't change the chances of winning. It does change how we behave towards it though. Not having any of this information meant that I did just carry on with my life as normal, but now I have these opportunities to talk with other entrants and check for updates on the official sites. It's a different experience.

SERBinUK, that was not what I was saying at all. I was comparing the experience itself, i.e the massive increase of knowledge that we have now versus the void of knowledge in the early years of the lottery.

Of course it doesn't change the chances of winning. It does change how we behave towards it though. Not having any of this information meant that I did just carry on with my life as normal, but now I have these opportunities to talk with other entrants and check for updates on the official sites. It's a different experience.

Yes, it's great to have people to ask questions, share experiences with and for emotional support. It's a fairly detailed process with a few gotchas along the way if you're not careful. It's all there, of course, in dull government-speak, but these forums are very useful for explaining some of the confusing or tricky aspects of it. And for a bit of hand-holding when the interview date gets closer and the stress level starts getting to you ;)

Good luck!