One Year after moving out and surrendering NJ DL, asked to show proof of status!!!...

Re: Anybody else with similar exp?

Originally posted by OmGV
How did u deal with it? [Without paying the fine]

As somebody already said here, get a letter from your state DMV that you've surrendered NJ Driver's License and fax it to NJ DMV office.

I had exactly same experience and so could not resist sharing it here....
I was in NJ, then move to FL, surrendered my NJ DL in FL got a DL from FL, NJ Suspended my surrendered DL. When (unfortunately) I moved back to NJ, a cop issued me a ticket for 'dirving under suspended license'. I immediately went to NJ DMV (Wayne) fought with (2-3 arrogent and a 1 very helpful) ladies at DMV for removing suspension from my driving record and my wife's record, surprisingly without any fine.....after much argument.....
But since I had to pay the ticket they slapped me with a fine around $200 for 'Driving without license' as I found out that that will be the best charge to pleade guilty rather than much harsher 'driving under suspended license'
Meantime I had all the documents proving my innocence, Letter from FL DMV that I surrenderd my vaid NJ DL with them etc. but in court it's much logical to plead guilty than fight for truth. So some how we are ended with paying $200.
Absolutely amazing thing is how the police officer 'caught' me.....I still had NJ plates on my car, from those plates he accessed my registration record and so found out my NJ DL is suspended 'For Visa expiry' When I told him whole story and showed him my current FL license, he asked me what proof u have that u have valid visa, luckily I showed him EAD which I had on me and at this point I understood that why we have different immigration lawyers/courts/judges....because only thing that officer saw on my EAD was 'NOT VALID FOR RE-ENTRY' , so I do not have valid visa... I had no answer for that.......
I am worried that FL and NJ both will suspend my driving privilages as they have my EAD expiry date on there record, if I move to some other state....
NJ MVC people at Trenton (who attend all DMV related phone enquiries) do not have any knowledge of these procedures so please do not waste your time explaining them your case.........

Originally posted by ala_re_ala
I had exactly same experience and so could not resist sharing it here....
I was in NJ, then move to FL, surrendered my NJ DL in FL got a DL from FL, NJ Suspended my surrendered DL. When (unfortunately) I moved back to NJ, a cop issued me a ticket for 'dirving under suspended license'. I immediately went to NJ DMV (Wayne) fought with (2-3 arrogent and a 1 very helpful) ladies at DMV for removing suspension from my driving record and my wife's record, surprisingly without any fine.....after much argument.....
But since I had to pay the ticket they slapped me with a fine around $200 for 'Driving without license' as I found out that that will be the best charge to pleade guilty rather than much harsher 'driving under suspended license'
Meantime I had all the documents proving my innocence, Letter from FL DMV that I surrenderd my vaid NJ DL with them etc. but in court it's much logical to plead guilty than fight for truth. So some how we are ended with paying $200.
Absolutely amazing thing is how the police officer 'caught' me.....I still had NJ plates on my car, from those plates he accessed my registration record and so found out my NJ DL is suspended 'For Visa expiry' When I told him whole story and showed him my current FL license, he asked me what proof u have that u have valid visa, luckily I showed him EAD which I had on me and at this point I understood that why we have different immigration lawyers/courts/judges....because only thing that officer saw on my EAD was 'NOT VALID FOR RE-ENTRY' , so I do not have valid visa... I had no answer for that.......
I am worried that FL and NJ both will suspend my driving privilages as they have my EAD expiry date on there record, if I move to some other state....
NJ MVC people at Trenton (who attend all DMV related phone enquiries) do not have any knowledge of these procedures so please do not waste your time explaining them your case.........

Thnx much for posting the information. Looks like it is not a good idea to be legal immigrant. Anyway, I will give it a try and post my experience. Hopefully I wouldn't be unfortunate enou to go back there ever.

OmgV, I would do the following...

I would write a letter to DMV stating that I had moved to NC at so and so date and after surrendering in NC the NJ license I got NC license. Attach a copy of their letter and a copy of valid NC license , copy of I-485 receipt and a copy of current valid EAD or its receipt.

I guess, NJ DMV is thinking that you are still in NJ and have not renewed your license due to your status. I am sure this is the case.

Please donot panic. handle carefully and clear the confusion of NJ DMV. You want to keep good records in NJ DMV, who knows, just in case, if you have to transfer again to NJ...

Take care buddy....
RD : Jul 2002.
ND : Jul 2002.
FP : Sep 2002.

They Know

Belive me, They know.....
I called NJ MVC and the operator check her record and she could see that I had surrendered my DL in FL on so and so date.....
Still her only reply ....Goto DMV and sort it out with them ......
Try to talk to a supervisor, I wish you all the best but really doubt if there is any solution.......

Writing letters doesn't work...

Government institutions don't document information received on any sheet of paper that is not their standard form of communication.

I mentioned to the lady in NJ MVS that I can show her all evidence that my wife's license was surrendered in another state, but they refused to do anything to clear her suspension record in NJ if the fine is not paid.

there is another thread about NJ DMV and how it sucks. Please visit that thread too.

Gush, I have a NJ DL and plan to move to NY since I really am fed up with this stupid state and its rules. Thanks for the heads up for my suspension, coming this Jan after I will surrender it to NY DMV ?

OMGV,

I have the same problem as you. Moved out of NJ. Changed my NJ license to KY. They are asking me to come directly to NJ to clear my old NJ suspension. What did you do? Please post.

Nothing to report yet.

Originally posted by ssr_gc
OMGV,

I have the same problem as you. Moved out of NJ. Changed my NJ license to KY. They are asking me to come directly to NJ to clear my old NJ suspension. What did you do? Please post.

I will post once I get some feedback.

OMGV,

My auto insurance company is refusing coverage stating the NJ suspension, even though my current license is valid. Did you have any problem?

Did all those suffering from NJ MVC DL suspension notice due to change of residence register themselves as non-citizens at one of their regional offices?
I am asking because if it were true that US citizens also faced this kind of problem, it would be surprising if no one had taken NJ MVC to task already.

My insurance was recently renewed w/o problem.

Originally posted by ssr_gc
OMGV,

My auto insurance company is refusing coverage stating the NJ suspension, even though my current license is valid. Did you have any problem?

I didn't have any prob.

Here is my mail to the website and the response. I sent my surrender notice to NJ-MVC and don't expect any problem.

Thank you for your e-mail. Please send your written notice to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Customer Advocacy Office
P.O. Box 403
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0403

Sincerely,
Kasey Platt
Customer Advocacy Office

>>> <.................@yahoo.com> 6/28/2004 12:49:35 PM >>>
Source: Contact MVC page

Comments:
I moved out of NJ and surrendered my NJ license to get the new license