One Year after moving out and surrendering NJ DL, asked to show proof of status!!!...

OmGV

Registered Users (C)
I feel really frustrated. Does anybody else have the same expereince.

In March 2003, 1 year ago, I moved out of NJ and surrendered my NJ DL and obtained NC DL. Now NJ DMV has sent a letter that they are suspending my NJ DL. I need to go IN PERSON and show proof of my status and pay $100 fine, to remove the suspension.

Though I don't live in NJ anymore, I am frustrated as this suspension might affect my getting my DL at other states in the future. I am very frustrated. NC for e.g., has given me DL upto 2009 after just showing proof of my current status. I called the NJ DMV and they are again stating that since I had NJ DL at one time, I need to continue showing proof, in person. Is anyone else facing similar harassment by NJ DMV ?

Originally posted by OmGV
Though I don't live in NJ anymore, I am frustrated as this suspension might affect my getting my DL at other states in the future. I am very frustrated. NC for e.g., has given me DL upto 2009 after just showing proof of my current status. I called the NJ DMV and they are again stating that since I had NJ DL at one time, I need to continue showing proof, in person. Is anyone else facing similar harassment by NJ DMV ?

That's funny. Tell the dimwit that you don't have a license for them to suspend, and that they can go commit a physically impossible sexual act with themselves.

So long as you can demonstrate that you got your NC license before they suspended the NJ one (photocopy your current license) you'll be fine. And try not to move to NJ for a while. :)

Something similar happened to me...

omGV:
Something similar happened to me. They did suspend my license when I failed to return my plates. They suspended it because thjey are required by law too do so since they could not find my insurance record and yet I had the licecnse plates.

But your case is different. You physically returned the license.....so donno whats going on.

Re: Something similar happened to me...

Originally posted by GCAnxious
omGV:
Something similar happened to me. They did suspend my license when I failed to return my plates. They suspended it because thjey are required by law too do so since they could not find my insurance record and yet I had the licecnse plates.

But your case is different. You physically returned the license.....so donno whats going on.

New jersey DMV really sucks! I had a very bad experience with them too.

We faced the same problem last year...

We moved to NY and NJ DMV sent us a letter that my wife's license will expire on such-and-such a date (she was issued license based on her EAD), and that we need to have it restored in order to avoid suspension. My wife had gotten her NY driver's license, and had already submitted her NJ license to NY DMV.

We ignored the NJ DMV letter and were sent a suspension notice asking for $100 to be paid in order to get it restored. We explained our situation to NJ DMV and told them that my wife doesn't need her NJ license anymore and they can remove her records from their system. We also told them that we had surrendered her license to NY DMV. We were told by NJ DMV that her license would remain suspended if we didn't pay the fee in person. I had to take a day off from work, and go there in person (Eatontown DMV). I spoke to the authority there, and explained them our situation. These morons don't use any logic. I eventually had to pay $100 (not to mention loss of pay) to get her license reinstated. So technically, though she doesn't have her NJ license with her (since its already submitted to NY DMV), she has both NY and NJ driver's licenses.

What a piece of shit this DMV, INS and all 3 letter-acronym govt institutions are !!!

Re: We faced the same problem last year...

Originally posted by bhankas
These morons don't use any logic. I eventually had to pay $100 (not to mention loss of pay) to get her license reinstated.

Perhaps I am confused, but why did you spend the $100 to reinstate a license she had already surrendered?

cuz they said her license would remain suspended unless we paid the $100 fee. Also we planned to move back to NJ once my project got over, so I didn't want more complications to get her NJ driver's license.

cuz they said her license would remain suspended unless we paid the $100 fee. Also we planned to move back to NJ once my project got over, so I didn't want more complications to get her NJ driver's license.

Since the license was already surrendered and a valid NY license in hand, you probably wasted $100. If you moved back to NJ, I would have tried to get NJ based on a valid NY license which was issued before the NJ license was suspended, and take it up with my State Representative if I got any grief.

You spent $100 probably to save yourself some aggravation, but what will you do next year?

My wife wouldn't have got NJ license based on NY license, because her record would have shown suspended in the NJ DMV system.

Also, I have moved back to NJ now, and am waiting for our EADs to get approved before getting my wife's license from NJ DMV.

Did you guys try going to your homestate DMV instead of talking to NJ MVC? If you talked to NY DMV and they issued a letter or traced the returned license, then you can show-cause for not having to renew the NJ license. I think those other states have somehow failed to return the NJ license back to the MVC.

Suspension in National System?

That might prevent us from getting DL in another state.

But as therealcanadian has said, since we have valid NC license from last year that can be used as proof.

I am just frustrated that nothing is being/can be done about this harassment.

You can do a lot of things with two licenses. When you are stopped for speeding, you can show the other one instead of the current one. Basically you can have dual identity or is it not; are they linked in a national system.

No wonder the whole DL system is in shambles.

Originally posted by frantic
You can do a lot of things with two licenses. When you are stopped for speeding, you can show the other one instead of the current one. Basically you can have dual identity or is it not; are they linked in a national system.

No wonder the whole DL system is in shambles.

It doesn't work like that, as u have to surrender the old license before getting a new one. I think even for bhankas' wife, it just exists in the system.

My wife can just say she lost her NJ driver's license and get a new one issued to her based on her exisiting record in NJ DMV.
NJ DMV doesn't know she has a NY driver's license.

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE one driver's license valid for all the states.

this way they can have one common db and is useful for security checks etc.

they can have a process where we just need to inform the state dmv that we have moved.

Why not write to Gov. McGreevy. He has been maing DMV "more friendly" lately. Now DMV is open on Saturdays too.

From the PennDOT website

My wife can just say she lost her NJ driver's license and get a new one issued to her based on her exisiting record in NJ DMV.
NJ DMV doesn't know she has a NY driver's license.

"Can I hold two valid driver's licenses?

No, it is illegal in Pennsylvania for a person to hold more than one valid driver’s license issued by Pennsylvania or by any other state."

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-dl_learn_permit.shtml#Q12

I'm pretty sure most, if not all states (including Jersey) have similar laws. You are not allowed to have more than one current drivers license.

I agree with Canadian - once you have physically turned over the NJ license to obtain another state's DL, you should not have to entertain any communication from NJDOT/DMV. At the most, send them a certified letter explaining the situation and a photocopy of your current non NJ DL, and after that, the hell with them.

But that's just me...:D

K