• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

On the day of dv interview at dhaka, bangladesh

sohana

Registered Users (C)
1) What was the time they mention in your 2nd letter to attend the interview?

2) What time you reached? How was the atmosphere outside the Embassy? What were the questions the security people asked you and the docs they wanted to see (hope security check was there)? How many candidates were there before and after you? Was there any queue to enter inside the Embassy? Which things are restricted to take inside (mobile, water, food)? What time they allowed you to enter inside?

3) After entering into the Embassy, did you pick up any ticket to maintain serial? How long you wait before you number was called? They called you by number or by name? Are there several windows for different purposes?

4) When they called you 1st time, what did they ask? (I guess you went to a window) Did your husband and kids went with you at that time? Did they ask to submit all documents and medical reports or they asked you to pay your visa fees first ($775 for each)? After submitting documents did they ask you to wait, if so how long?

5) Then what time did they call you again? When did you, your husband and kids sign DS-230 form? When did you and your husband take oath? When did you and your husband take fingerprints? When did you face the real interview? This interview was also done through the window or all of you went in a room? At the time of interview they asked the questions all of you at the same time (means remain together) or they did separately? Who took the interview, the same gents/lady who collected the documents?

6) What did they ask you (as principal applicant)? What did they ask your husband? What did they ask your kids? At that day did they tell you that you visa process is approved?

7) Did they ask for marriage photos and any other photos of kids?

8) What time you came out from Embassy? How long it took to finish the whole process?

9) Also please write any other tips that will be helpful inside the Embassy especially for kids. Also advise regarding dresses of wife and kids and things we should take or should not take?

10) How did you organize your documents? (Original and translated docs in one file, photocopies in another file). Also need to know did you put/file yours docs, husband's docs and kid's docs in one file or separately?

11) What about the professional documents? Do we need to submit those with educational documents or we will show them later if they ask for?

12) I am the principal applicant. My wife has problem to speak English? It will be any problem?

13) I hope there are some Bangladeshi employees in Embassy. Do they have anything to do with DV applicant or we have to interact only with American?

Sorry for any inconvenience? I hope all my queries will help you to remember the process you did in the Embassy and to describe us.

Again thanks for your help and co-ordination.[/QUOTE]

1. 8 am.
2. U reach 15 minutes before ur mentioned time. Their will be queu- dont bother. U have to make a line outside the embassy beside the road towards natun bazar point. u tell them u r fr DV visa. Dont take any electronic goods like- mobile, pen drive, calculator etc. Just show them ur 2nd letter envelop to them- if u take a bag or ur wifes handbag- they will check-its very casual. They will start to allow to get in at 8 am- dont bother how many people r infront of u- they will let u in. If u can be in front of the queue then u can enter the embassy earlier and get a chance to sit in a AC room- thats the only advantage u get( specially in hot weather only!!!).
Dont forget to take food inside - u will need it later- dont forget ur childrens liking! u can also buy inside- and even they will allow u to get outside to take ur lunch if needed.

3. After getting through first secuirity check- u hv to go through a security arch and baggage check( like airports!) before getting inside the cooridor of embassy.They dont give any token or serial number. u go straight to the ac room where the windows for interview is or u can wait in the room just beside the corridor( there is a toilet and arrangement for drinking water here) They will call by principal applicants name through sound system. All the windows r used fr every purpose- they will tell u the no of window where u hv to go.

4. After waiting fr about half an hour- they called my name and told me to appear before a window- SO be attentive to the announcement fr ur name and window no. This time a Bangladeshi lady asked fr our documents ( which will be mentioned in ur second letter - keep the documents in the same order mentioned in 2nd letter- if ur childs r school going plz take their ID card or report card or the card by which you take back ur kid from school ) and medical papers. We all went together as I was nervous but only One person can go there if he likes. U dont hv to pay now. We were told to wait then. After a while all dv applicants of that day were asked gather in the room beside the corridor. Then an American lady and a Bangladeshi lady came there to brief us. they specially pointed on - DV qualification, mistakes on documents( specially name), if their is any discripency of information between ur original application and submitted documents etc. They wanted us to submit the money if those r ok for us- they repeatedly warned all of us bout these.

5. After that they told us to wait there . Then they first called to window(1) for our finger prints. Make sure ur fingers r clean- u can keep a tissue paper for that. Only me and my husband had to give our fingerprints not our kids.( the process of giving fingerprint is continuosly shown in a TV screen- so u will easily understand- dont be nervous!)
After that again u hv to wait - then they will call u - this time to pay ur required TOTAL amount9 U can pay in dollars or in taka- whichever u like) They will give u reciept this time- keep it carefully!
By then it was lunch time( 1 o clock- if i can remember correctly)- so they told us to take our lunch and come back at 2 oclock. We took our lunch inside that room and waited fr final interview.
It was almost 2.15 when they called my name to wwidow no 6- this time there was an american lady with the bangladeshi lady who took our documents earlier. We were told to take oath this time. then again we were asked to give fingerprint again. The American lady matched it on cmputer screen with our previous one I suppose. Then she started to see our family photographs( given earlier with the documents) and tried to convince herself that we r the persons who applied for the visa. Then she verified the educational documents of me and my husband. As my husbands SSC and HSC certificates were in English- as he translated it about 20 yrs back- she asked when did he translated it? Unfotunately he had not his HSC admit card and his SSC card did not have a photo - so she told him to bring an ID which will be 2 years older than our DV winning date as proof of my husbands ID. She also asked me where do I live and can I give her the documents( Driving license or Library card etc) today. I had my driving licence with me but I suddenly remembered the DOB is not correct in it. So I replied I can not. Then she told it ok- urs documents r alright only ur husband needs the required thing. Then they gave us the DS-230 too sign.After that she gave us a blue paper mentioning the required things fr my husband. In the paper it was mentioned we hv to submit those within 30 th Sept otherwise our case will be closed. They gave our passports back with our Chest xrays.
My husband went to the embassy next day and gave a library card, an old passport and his BMDC registration with the blue paper and all our passports. They recieved it and told any one to come on next SUNDAY- but they did not gave any slip.
On that day he went to the Embassy. There were many DV applicants who were asked to come. After waiting in the room beside corridor- they started to give back passports with visa first then blue papers to some and asked others to stay( My husband was in last group). Then they came to each of them and asked why we r here today? He told her that from reception he was told to come. After that they told us to stay . After about an hour he was asked to go to a window and told that our papers r ok- they will let us know over phone when to coolect our passports( they did not tell that we will get a visa!). Most probably my husband had to go through a name check with FBI. Anyway on 3 rd Spt ( our Intrview was on 15th July) Embassy called me to g to the embassy 0n 4th at 2;30 pm and on that day we got it. We were so tensed between that period though during our interview their attitude was very positive about us.

We were all present together in front of interview.We were together all the time. The lady who took our document were present with the american lady.
6. I answered it in no. 5. They did not tell us that our visa is approved.
7. U hv to submit it with ur documents earlier, - wrtten in 2nd letter. Keep them in an envelope- younger age photo, marriage time photo, photo with kids like this which will help ur family to establish ur true identity.
8. From 7.15 to 3 0 clock almost- it may take longer! be prepared.
9. Take food for kids, Dress as u like it does not need suite and tie like this- wear shirt, pants and shoe, wife can wear salwar kameez or saree - does not matter I think- be smart and tension free.
10. Original with photocopy then translation with photocopy of each in the order mentioned in second letter. First principal applicants doc, then my husbands and then my kids(2- older then younger). U can keep them in one file one after another-keeping a tag for each one like husband, wife, first kid 2nd kid etc.
11. Keep all other docs seperately which r not mentioned in 2nd letter. only show them if they ask for like Bank statement or Affidavit of support ( We were not asked for it though We had those with us).
12. U can answer the question on her behalf. Even all can speak in Bangla- a Bangladeshi lady will be there to translate.
13. Their r many Bangladeshis there - U can always ask help from them. Only during final interview and during early briefing u will face Americans- but every time u will hv a bangladeshi with them- dont worry- they r helpful.

Thank you all.
SOHANA:D:)

Please post reply regularly who reads this thread- then this thread will be on first page of the forum regularly- will help other Bangladeshis then

Hi All Bangladeshi DV-2009 winners,

Please try to write your interview experiences like Sohana. Your input will help all other Bangladeshi winners.

Thanks in advance.

PLZ reply regularly folks

Readers please rply to the thread after reading it - in that case it will be on first page regularly- this can help another Bangladeshi as you. So plz REPLY always.
SOHANA

Do this post helps u Bangladeshi"s?

Pls give reply someone to good posts so that it remains in first 2-3 pages of the forum for others to read.

SOHANA ma'am many many thanks for your effort . great job done.

Need little help from you.

In the visa bulletin in the paragraph "B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY" , they have provided a table but in that table in the row ASIA they have provided something like
" Except:
Bangladesh 11,000 "

what does it mean?

1) What was the time they mention in your 2nd letter to attend the interview?

2) What time you reached? How was the atmosphere outside the Embassy? What were the questions the security people asked you and the docs they wanted to see (hope security check was there)? How many candidates were there before and after you? Was there any queue to enter inside the Embassy? Which things are restricted to take inside (mobile, water, food)? What time they allowed you to enter inside?

3) After entering into the Embassy, did you pick up any ticket to maintain serial? How long you wait before you number was called? They called you by number or by name? Are there several windows for different purposes?

4) When they called you 1st time, what did they ask? (I guess you went to a window) Did your husband and kids went with you at that time? Did they ask to submit all documents and medical reports or they asked you to pay your visa fees first ($775 for each)? After submitting documents did they ask you to wait, if so how long?

5) Then what time did they call you again? When did you, your husband and kids sign DS-230 form? When did you and your husband take oath? When did you and your husband take fingerprints? When did you face the real interview? This interview was also done through the window or all of you went in a room? At the time of interview they asked the questions all of you at the same time (means remain together) or they did separately? Who took the interview, the same gents/lady who collected the documents?

6) What did they ask you (as principal applicant)? What did they ask your husband? What did they ask your kids? At that day did they tell you that you visa process is approved?

7) Did they ask for marriage photos and any other photos of kids?

8) What time you came out from Embassy? How long it took to finish the whole process?

9) Also please write any other tips that will be helpful inside the Embassy especially for kids. Also advise regarding dresses of wife and kids and things we should take or should not take?

10) How did you organize your documents? (Original and translated docs in one file, photocopies in another file). Also need to know did you put/file yours docs, husband's docs and kid's docs in one file or separately?

11) What about the professional documents? Do we need to submit those with educational documents or we will show them later if they ask for?

12) I am the principal applicant. My wife has problem to speak English? It will be any problem?

13) I hope there are some Bangladeshi employees in Embassy. Do they have anything to do with DV applicant or we have to interact only with American?

Sorry for any inconvenience? I hope all my queries will help you to remember the process you did in the Embassy and to describe us.

Again thanks for your help and co-ordination.

1. 8 am.
2. U reach 15 minutes before ur mentioned time. Their will be queu- dont bother. U have to make a line outside the embassy beside the road towards natun bazar point. u tell them u r fr DV visa. Dont take any electronic goods like- mobile, pen drive, calculator etc. Just show them ur 2nd letter envelop to them- if u take a bag or ur wifes handbag- they will check-its very casual. They will start to allow to get in at 8 am- dont bother how many people r infront of u- they will let u in. If u can be in front of the queue then u can enter the embassy earlier and get a chance to sit in a AC room- thats the only advantage u get( specially in hot weather only!!!).
Dont forget to take food inside - u will need it later- dont forget ur childrens liking! u can also buy inside- and even they will allow u to get outside to take ur lunch if needed.

3. After getting through first secuirity check- u hv to go through a security arch and baggage check( like airports!) before getting inside the cooridor of embassy.They dont give any token or serial number. u go straight to the ac room where the windows for interview is or u can wait in the room just beside the corridor( there is a toilet and arrangement for drinking water here) They will call by principal applicants name through sound system. All the windows r used fr every purpose- they will tell u the no of window where u hv to go.

4. After waiting fr about half an hour- they called my name and told me to appear before a window- SO be attentive to the announcement fr ur name and window no. This time a Bangladeshi lady asked fr our documents ( which will be mentioned in ur second letter - keep the documents in the same order mentioned in 2nd letter- if ur childs r school going plz take their ID card or report card or the card by which you take back ur kid from school ) and medical papers. We all went together as I was nervous but only One person can go there if he likes. U dont hv to pay now. We were told to wait then. After a while all dv applicants of that day were asked gather in the room beside the corridor. Then an American lady and a Bangladeshi lady came there to brief us. they specially pointed on - DV qualification, mistakes on documents( specially name), if their is any discripency of information between ur original application and submitted documents etc. They wanted us to submit the money if those r ok for us- they repeatedly warned all of us bout these.

5. After that they told us to wait there . Then they first called to window(1) for our finger prints. Make sure ur fingers r clean- u can keep a tissue paper for that. Only me and my husband had to give our fingerprints not our kids.( the process of giving fingerprint is continuosly shown in a TV screen- so u will easily understand- dont be nervous!)
After that again u hv to wait - then they will call u - this time to pay ur required TOTAL amount9 U can pay in dollars or in taka- whichever u like) They will give u reciept this time- keep it carefully!
By then it was lunch time( 1 o clock- if i can remember correctly)- so they told us to take our lunch and come back at 2 oclock. We took our lunch inside that room and waited fr final interview.
It was almost 2.15 when they called my name to wwidow no 6- this time there was an american lady with the bangladeshi lady who took our documents earlier. We were told to take oath this time. then again we were asked to give fingerprint again. The American lady matched it on cmputer screen with our previous one I suppose. Then she started to see our family photographs( given earlier with the documents) and tried to convince herself that we r the persons who applied for the visa. Then she verified the educational documents of me and my husband. As my husbands SSC and HSC certificates were in English- as he translated it about 20 yrs back- she asked when did he translated it? Unfotunately he had not his HSC admit card and his SSC card did not have a photo - so she told him to bring an ID which will be 2 years older than our DV winning date as proof of my husbands ID. She also asked me where do I live and can I give her the documents( Driving license or Library card etc) today. I had my driving licence with me but I suddenly remembered the DOB is not correct in it. So I replied I can not. Then she told it ok- urs documents r alright only ur husband needs the required thing. Then they gave us the DS-230 too sign.After that she gave us a blue paper mentioning the required things fr my husband. In the paper it was mentioned we hv to submit those within 30 th Sept otherwise our case will be closed. They gave our passports back with our Chest xrays.
My husband went to the embassy next day and gave a library card, an old passport and his BMDC registration with the blue paper and all our passports. They recieved it and told any one to come on next SUNDAY- but they did not gave any slip.
On that day he went to the Embassy. There were many DV applicants who were asked to come. After waiting in the room beside corridor- they started to give back passports with visa first then blue papers to some and asked others to stay( My husband was in last group). Then they came to each of them and asked why we r here today? He told her that from reception he was told to come. After that they told us to stay . After about an hour he was asked to go to a window and told that our papers r ok- they will let us know over phone when to coolect our passports( they did not tell that we will get a visa!). Most probably my husband had to go through a name check with FBI. Anyway on 3 rd Spt ( our Intrview was on 15th July) Embassy called me to g to the embassy 0n 4th at 2;30 pm and on that day we got it. We were so tensed between that period though during our interview their attitude was very positive about us.

We were all present together in front of interview.We were together all the time. The lady who took our document were present with the american lady.
6. I answered it in no. 5. They did not tell us that our visa is approved.
7. U hv to submit it with ur documents earlier, - wrtten in 2nd letter. Keep them in an envelope- younger age photo, marriage time photo, photo with kids like this which will help ur family to establish ur true identity.
8. From 7.15 to 3 0 clock almost- it may take longer! be prepared.
9. Take food for kids, Dress as u like it does not need suite and tie like this- wear shirt, pants and shoe, wife can wear salwar kameez or saree - does not matter I think- be smart and tension free.
10. Original with photocopy then translation with photocopy of each in the order mentioned in second letter. First principal applicants doc, then my husbands and then my kids(2- older then younger). U can keep them in one file one after another-keeping a tag for each one like husband, wife, first kid 2nd kid etc.
11. Keep all other docs seperately which r not mentioned in 2nd letter. only show them if they ask for like Bank statement or Affidavit of support ( We were not asked for it though We had those with us).
12. U can answer the question on her behalf. Even all can speak in Bangla- a Bangladeshi lady will be there to translate.
13. Their r many Bangladeshis there - U can always ask help from them. Only during final interview and during early briefing u will face Americans- but every time u will hv a bangladeshi with them- dont worry- they r helpful.

Thank you all.
SOHANA:D:)[/QUOTE]

Hi Sohana,

What did they tell you about the name?I really need to know this.I submitted an incorrect name when I applied online.The fact is that I didnt have my birth certificate on hand when I applied so I typed my name as in my High School Diploma cetificate.As it is a governement issued document I assumed it was correct.Only when I won then I came to know that there was a typing error.My name Raj Jai Sharma was typed as Raj Jay Sharma in my diploma certificate.Not just that but my fathers name was wrong too.So I got it all changed.

Since I have proof of the error.Would it be a problem?Please give me your advises.Its just one letter.Not a big mistake.

Please let me knw.I'll wait for a reply.

Take carezz

Raj(I'm from the Fiji Islands)

Hi Sohana,

What did they tell you about the name?I really need to know this.I submitted an incorrect name when I applied online.The fact is that I didnt have my birth certificate on hand when I applied so I typed my name as in my High School Diploma cetificate.As it is a governement issued document I assumed it was correct.Only when I won then I came to know that there was a typing error.My name Raj Jai Sharma was typed as Raj Jay Sharma in my diploma certificate.Not just that but my fathers name was wrong too.So I got it all changed.

Since I have proof of the error.Would it be a problem?Please give me your advises.Its just one letter.Not a big mistake.

Please let me knw.I'll wait for a reply.

Take carezz

Raj(I'm from the Fiji Islands)

sorry folks- i dont visit this web site often now- i am in usa now.
Mr. Raj
Actually they did not noticed my spelling mistake in birth certificate( i suppose)- but before facing the interview they will repeatedly warn about any spelling discrepency anywhere may be a cause of visa refusal.
Please make sure in every document u hv the correct spelling- and if u had corrected it before u got ur DV winning notice then I think its okay- other wise if they inquire- u hv to defend ur point- the rest is upto them.
GL

sorry folks- i dont visit this web site often now- i am in usa now.
Mr. Raj
Actually they did not noticed my spelling mistake in birth certificate( i suppose)- but before facing the interview they will repeatedly warn about any spelling discrepency anywhere may be a cause of visa refusal.
Please make sure in every document u hv the correct spelling- and if u had corrected it before u got ur DV winning notice then I think its okay- other wise if they inquire- u hv to defend ur point- the rest is upto them.
GL

Dear Sohana,
I am surprised to see ur help to bangali people.

I am in trouble. I faced interview 1 month and 11 days ago. At the end consular officer gave me a blue sheet written "additional processing. We will contact with u as soon as we get result" They kept my passport and one of my original academic documents and gave me back rest of the documents. My interview was very cordial.

Now please tell me what is additional processing
is there any chance to get visa

I am very much worried. And passing a very hard times.
Please write me

Mr Sujitbd
FBI will check ur background- it may take 1 - 6 months- u hv time upto sept 30-2010. so dont be nervous- if u hv supplied all the true things in ur forms - u will get the visa- i also had to wait 2 months for my husbands background check.
gl

Mr Sujitbd
FBI will check ur background- it may take 1 - 6 months- u hv time upto sept 30-2010. so dont be nervous- if u hv supplied all the true things in ur forms - u will get the visa- i also had to wait 2 months for my husbands background check.
gl

Dear,
Sohana Thank u for writing me. I am expressing my gratitude to u on behalf of all bangali.

u will be happy to know that I have got my visa today. What a relief!

Hi Sohana
I am fom India , not from Bangladesh. But still a bengali.
Anyway , since you are in US , can you give us a little details about the current job situation there. How much time is needed ,in an average, to find a job after arriving in US? And how much money do you suggest to have in reserve so that anyone can survive for this period between arrival and getting the first salary?
I think the answers will halp many of us to be prepared.
Thanks in advance