On renewal of Driver's license

ssw

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I had an unpleasant experience on renewing my driver's license.

Since 9/11 terror, the department of motor vehicle here in Dayton, Ohio has been instructed that the non-citizens have to show valid passport, I-94, letter from employers or schools, or the green card if he/she is a green card holder.

Since I have been approved, but have not received the physical card yet, I was asked to show a I-551 stamp on the passport.
The date on I-551 was Jul 23, 2003.

What the DMV said was they can only renew my driver's license ID card valid until the I-551 expiration date.

I have to renew the license when I get another date of the stamp if I don't get the physical green card, and I think this is more than likely to happen based on the other's experience.

Simply put, I have to pay extra money ($23 for me and my wife) every year because of not being the US citizen.

Has anybody had similar experience elsewhere?

>What the DMV said was they can only renew my driver's license >ID card valid until the I-551 expiration date.

Check out what laws exactly say. If laws says DL can be valid up to visa expires for non-immigrants but does not say that for PR.
Then you can argue that.

This is ridiculous, I had my drivers license renewed for 5 years even before becoming a US PR. It was before Sept. 11 though.

They asked me if I am a US citizen.
I said no, and then all the hassles happened.
I wonder what happened if I said yes.

I know it is not a good idea, but even the peoples in the DMV do not seem to know what the exact regulation is.
They just said the rule has been changed since 9/11.

Money is the secondary issue here.
I feel quite discriminated as not being a US citizen.

I got my renewal letter in mail. I got the renewal from NJ DMV. They did not ask for anything though I had my GC.

They cannot do this

ssw,

You can report this to your local Congressman or Senator because what the DMV did to you is aginst the law. I-551 is temporary evidence of Permanent Residence. The expiration date of the stamp has no bearing on your status as a permanent resident. They have to give you normal licence. It's against the law if they deny you that privelige. You should have asked them where is the written law which they are going by ? The fact is only Minnesota has the law which grants DL for only the visa duration and that too does not apply to Permanent Residents but only to non-immigrants visa holders. So, you should go back to the DMV office and ask them to provide you a copy of the law that they used on you or else go to your Congressman/Senator. They will definitely fix this problem.

same experience

I had the same experience when trying to renew my DL in
Dayton, Ohio. DL was renewed to 7/19/2003 when the stamp
expires. I argued with the clerk but no avail. :(