On " I-485 TRANSFER NOTICE"

mke23

Registered Users (C)
VSC has transfered my "I-485" file to local INS to schedule an interview.
The notice doesn\'t say that I-485 is approved,just that the "preliminary
process for this application is completed and local INS will schedule an interview". I would like to know :
1. Does this mean they will approve I-485 in the interview?
2. What questions they ask in this interview?
3. What documents to carry for this interview?

Will be great if anyone who has experinced or knows about someone, can give information.Thanks!!!

No Title

Yes, it is customary to approve the application after interview at the local office. Most of the time NIW candidates\' cases are transferred to the local offices. Also, if INS feels that there is a need to meet in person before approval, they do transfer the case.

Generally, the questions asked at the interview are the same that you might have already answered in the i-485 application. Usually, those Yes/No questions. Do not talk more than that is asked for. Always answer to the point. If they ask Yes/No questions, your should be restricted to Yes OR No.

Carry all the documents that were required for the i-485 application. I would suggest the following in addition -

1. Your tax returns with copies of W-2 for the last 3 years.
2. Pay stub for at least the last 3 months.
3. An employment letter from your company specifying your position.
4. Your i-94.
5. Your latest i-129 (if applicable).
6. Your latest EAD and AP (if applicable).

And obviously your passport.

Usually, INS will stamp your passport at the day of the interview.

No Title

It is not approved yet but yes, usually, after the
interview you may get your approval. Interview notice
may get to you in about 2-3 months.

I believe several documents will be required from you.
The list will be provided to you at the time you receive
your intervie notice.

My case was also transferred to Baltimore last 4/27/01 and
my ND is 10/12/00 and FP is 12/26/00. Please also check my
posting at:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/WebX?50@@.ef3deef/1

Goodluck to us all!

GMC

No Title

Hi,
What/who is a " NIW candidate" ?
My wife and I also came to know (by AVM) that our case has been transferred (May 18, 2001) to baltimore for interview. When do they transfer cases...is it when they suspecft something wrong/application seems incorrect/is it randomly done? A friend of mine had almost the same dates but he recently received his I-485 approval and within 10 days was scheduled for stamping......so why the difference in procedure. Does your lawyer have an option at the time of filing, to have the interview waived?
Please help.
Thanks.....AD

No Title

NIW candidates are those who file under "National Interest Waiver" category. Their processing is not employer based and they can change jobs whenever they want to provided they stay in the same line of work.

As I mentioned earlier, transfer to local office happens when INS feels that there is a need for a face-to-face interview and the case needs to be scrutinized a little more closely. This, however, is the actual documented process. In reality, they might be tossing a coin.

You do not need to worry though. I have never heard of a deniel or for that matter any other adverse impact on the candidates whose files were transfered to the local office.