Off topic:How is life/work in San Diego ?

GCdreamer2006

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

While we wait for news from USCIS, here is a question:

I live in the Seattle, WA area with family. I have heard San Diego is sunny and nice. My field is IT security.

Can folks from San Diego shed some light on pros and cons of living there ?
I know housing is expensive. I am wondering how is the actual job market and cultural experience in San Diego.

Not that bad

Well San Deigo has not much job market and there are few companies. It is home to Qualcomm worldwide headquarters. The culture at work is good and outside culture has lot of influence from Mexican Culture. Heard from our Mad Man Lou Dobbs that the crime is more and lot of drugs etc not sure how much truth since we cannot trust mad man. For IT Security there are more jobs in Washington DC and Silicon Valley. Do you have CISSP certification or do you do security management?

I am not from San Diego, but I had been there several times....

If you are an outdoor kinda guy, that is the place for you........

as the PP said, job market(IT) is not so great there. very few companies....

In addition to Qualcomm, i think Sony, NCR are also there.

don't know about real estate there...

weather is fantastic, lot of beaches....

San Diego is a great place to live in.

Here are some thoughts:
1. Fantastic lifestyle: Good weather, nice people, very neat/clean/pretty city
2. I dont know what Lou Dobbs said, but I have been living here for the past seven years and it seems like a very safe place to me. There are some shady areas near the border, but such pockets exist in every city
3. Real estate is expensive and it is expensive for a reason: "People want to live here"
4. Job scene is not that great. Its OK, but nothing compared to Bay Area etc. I suspect its very similar to a place like Seattle.
5. Good nightlife/Good food etc etc. It is pretty close to being a resort city.

GCdreamer2006 said:
Hi,

While we wait for news from USCIS, here is a question:

I live in the Seattle, WA area with family. I have heard San Diego is sunny and nice. My field is IT security.

Can folks from San Diego shed some light on pros and cons of living there ?
I know housing is expensive. I am wondering how is the actual job market and cultural experience in San Diego.

If you are moving from Seattle, WA to Cali. The biggest difference is, you'll have 12 months of life instead of 5 OR 6 months. San Diego is awesome place. My first Pref is Bay Area --> LA --> San Diego.

I live in Portland, OR currently, but looking to move back to California(Lived for 4 years). So you know where my opinion comes from :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, if you can afford it

SD is awesome, if you can afford it. The biggest con is the housing cost. 1500 sq, 3 bedroom/2 bath house costs $500K+. Also, if you like urban setting you will not like it here. It is 500 square miles of suburb with fairly small downtown that you don't want to live in.

It is family friendly - area is full of opportunities, ZOO and wild animal park (annual pass costs $60+ per adult), sea world ($50+), balboa park (a dozen of museums), beaches, embarcadero... traffic can be bad, but there are patterns. If you live between your workplace and downtown you will be fine.

There are some big companies - Qualcomm, SAIC, Sony, HP, Motorola, and some smaller that you might fit you, like Websense.

Poway school district is decent, one of the better in the country.

The weather is really nice - 50-70 in the winter, 65-85 summer, with 15-20 rainy days a year.

spulla said:
If you are moving from Seattle, WA to Cali. The biggest difference is, you'll have 12 months of life instead of 5 OR 6 months. San Diego is awesome place. My first Pref is Bay Area --> LA --> San Diego.

I live in Portland, OR currently, but looking to move back to California(Lived for 4 years). So you know where my opinion comes from :)

Nice topic for a change...SD is good I lived there for 1 year plus worked in Goodrich. Job market is low compared to bay area. Yes the mexican influence is much here and you won't be ticketed for traffic offenses as there are more serious problems there because of the border. And a plus point is you can visit another country just 15 minutes away resembles the old cities of India so be careful when you travel on I805 if you miss an exit you are in mexico...

again back to our topic hello spulla you had FP twice means you would have received two APs is your second AP carries different wording and is it I-512L?
sorry...could not help it.

cost?

I am surprised that almost no one is considering cost of lviing as one of hte deciding factors.

goan2005 said:
I am surprised that almost no one is considering cost of lviing as one of hte deciding factors.

If your life sucks because of incessant rain. Cost is the least of your worries.

And who said Seattle, WA is cheaper? According to MSN last year, seattle is the most over priced city for housing in the country. A friend of mine bought a 2800 sq ft home for 660K. Away from the city. He works at Microsoft and drives 45mins to get to his office. All this and only 4 months of SUN. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
goodyearahead said:
Nice topic for a change...SD is good I lived there for 1 year plus worked in Goodrich. Job market is low compared to bay area. Yes the mexican influence is much here and you won't be ticketed for traffic offenses as there are more serious problems there because of the border. And a plus point is you can visit another country just 15 minutes away resembles the old cities of India so be careful when you travel on I805 if you miss an exit you are in mexico...

again back to our topic hello spulla you had FP twice means you would have received two APs is your second AP carries different wording and is it I-512L?
sorry...could not help it.

I did not notice my AP. I will have to get back to you on this one. I will let you know by tomorrow.

San Diego is beautiful - Question outside forum topic

WTF? You are asking a wrong question in this forum. This forum is about crying/complaining/whining (ofcourse you are whining about Seattle, but that does not count) about Priority Dates Retrogressions Issues. Goto google groups and post you question there. ;) :mad:

I am whining about nothing. I am asking.
That's why the posting is titled "off topic". In a forum, if you don't like the content, ignore it. It is unpolite and make you look so stupid trying to censor what people are saying.

HowlingWild said:
WTF? You are asking a wrong question in this forum. This forum is about crying/complaining/whining (ofcourse you are whining about Seattle, but that does not count) about Priority Dates Retrogressions Issues. Goto google groups and post you question there. ;) :mad: