Off topic --- Giving back, ideas?

dl1cd

Registered Users (C)
This is off-topic, so please forgive the intrusion.

Recently, a colleague of mine initiated a fund-raiser for benches in a school in India. His daughter, a US-born kid, never educated in India, got together with some friends and hosted a fund-raiser. The collection was around $4000. With the money, they managed to get about 100 benches made for a primary school in India, where the children sat on the floor previously.

Secondly, I started going through John Wood's "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World" - and checked his web site (http://www.roomtoread.org/).

I am quite taken up with the idea, but between a day job and a family, am torn between the desire to do something - and give back to the country - and the reality.

Please take a moment - and let me know if we could pool in about $2K for a library. At $10 per head - pocket change for most of us - we would need 200 donors.

Something worthwhile, I feel.

Again, off-topic, so apologies.

108 (views) times 10 ...

would have been 1080

Instead, I am responding to my first post. Guess I was not cut out for selling ideas.

Your ideas and intentions are great. However, this is a wrong forum. You should post this thread in other generic forums; Or much better, volunteer for organizations like ashanet.org, where you would be able to channelize your efforts better and get a platform to enforce your ideas.

Good luck!

dl1cd said:
would have been 1080

Instead, I am responding to my first post. Guess I was not cut out for selling ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
giving back..

hi,

Like yourself, I am motivated too. I believe in raising money by ad revenue or other channels than relying on donations alone. I did start a forum (http://www.myindia20.com/Default.aspx), please check it out when you have a chance, may be we could work together.

Thanks.

I recently donated $120 at www.giftofvision.org. Better still, I gave that money to a friend of mine who works at Microsoft. He made the donation on his name and MS matched the money so it came to $240. :)
Most giant corporations have charity matching programs so if you wort at Motorola, Sun, Yahoo, Citibank or whoever else, check with them and donate thru them to double the donation amount or ask a friend at such a corp to donate for you.
And, yes, this is the wrong board to post such a comment. Please go to other websites which are interested in such activities.
Then the 108 X 10 = 1080 equation would have more meaning.
Happy Thanksgiving!
nj_skm