OCT 15 RFE - New problem on my case

guruashok

Registered Users (C)
An original letter on company letterhead stating his date of hire, duties, remuneration and prospect for continued employment.

copies of earnings statements (paystubs) for the psat six months.

copies of federal income tax returns including all schedules and Forms W-2 and/or Forms 1099, for the 2001 tax year.

I sent all documents INS requested to lawyer.
Right now i am facing another problem.

On labour companey mentioned $80K per annum
But right now I am getting less than that.

also my 2001 w2 says less than $80K.

now lawyer don't want to send RFE reply now and feels company should rise my pay in another two pay check and to show $80K for this year. why he wants that.

If lawyer does that i have to wait for another two months.
20th Jan 03 is the last date to reply RFE

Help me please

guruashok:

Ask ur lawyer to send the RFE reply.
Suppose one had gone to India/home country/any country for say, 6 weeks out of which 4 weeks were out of pay, does that mean that he has to get a raise to compensate for that loss of pay before he shows the W2 to INS ? This sounds ridiculous to me.

Wait a minute ...

GC is for a future job.

The lawyer should have asked the company to produce an employment letter stating something like "By the time Mr. X receives the approval of his I-485 petition, we will continue his employment with the company, working in so and so position with a salary of $8x".
The salary you receive now should be irrelevant with what is stated in the LC, because your LC certifies that a future job will be available with a salary of 80K.

Though technically correct, GC012002, it doesn't seem to fly that way. This is by no means an authoritative claim but to me it seems that INS makes a distinction between future employment, in its true sense, and continued future employment with the present employer.

A few dips in the pay stubs might not matter. But, a continued trend of less than the LC mentioned salary could cause trouble. My feeling is that the RFE should be responded to immediately. But, a backup letter after discussion with the company should be prepared (in case of another RFE for the discrepancy in salary) which states that due to the present economic downturn all (or most) employees have been requested to take a temporary reduction in pay.

In all probability, the case officer might not sit down with a calculator to exactly verify the numbers shown in all the W2s, tax returns and pay stubs (SIX MONTHS WORTH!!!) and might just approve the petition based on receipt of all the requested evidence.

Also, think about this. The LC was approved about couple of years ago. At that time, the prevailing wage for your job might have been in the vicinity of 80K and today it might be lower than that. So, the LC might be deemed to not be a misrepresentation.

Good luck.

-Palaniappan Rajaram

roran and GC012002 you guys are better than my lawyer

That is what i also that.
I will call my lawyer again now

Thanks for reply. I feel little Ok now

Do your RFE state on the top that

You have to prove you will not be a public charge

and then request for the evidences

Grish

LC says 80K
W2 salary was 73K
for 2002 uptodate is 61.5K as on 10/15

i have to submit answer for RFE before Jan 20.

I really don't know how company will adjust. My boss is not in office. I will be contacting him what him and lawyer is going to do.

For me it looks like a simple case

It is my bad luck

Grish thank you agian

I got boost reading your reply and talk to my lawyer (actually lawyer's assistant)

I asked the reason's
what lawyer is saying is INS may question or doubt , if INS approves how company can give a 8K rise
and lawyer thinks INS may cancel the approval.

Also they mentioned INS will send another RFE for this purpose.

they asked me about go ahead or adjust future pay check
I said go ahead and file what i submitted
lawyer mentioned that i am taking risk.

I told them to send it tomorrow and i am willing to take risk.

Do i did right thing ?
or I am going to screwup ?

Guru Ashok

First of all GC is for future job.
Secondly in all aspects, if your pay is below the poverty line....then it's a problem. INS knows the current economy conditions and definitely this will not be a problem. Whatever you did is a right thing and You should get your approval soon.

Don't worry & keep :)

Good Luck

Don't push your lawyer

I do not think these guys know what they are talking about.
Your lawyer is right in his decision.
Consider what will happen if GC is denied. You will go back to home country two months sooner.

Will these great 'one GC experience' brains be able to share their GC with you?

Wait for another two months. I know my friend too had to do that.

Play safe these guys don't lose even a f** face, you may lose all.

hi all

I am with the same company for almost 5 years. after GC going to continue with them. In this case does INS check the current pay ?

If my currebnt pay is less than what they mentioned in labour, does INS can reject ? everybody is saying the salary mentioned on labour is for future employment.

the diff between current and future pay is just 7K

Why INS will compare my current pay and future pay
and how come they may doubt for 7K difference that my company will be paying me after GC approval

from 10/21 murthy chat

Hi guruashok,

Look at the following issues. I went thru them and felt they are kind of contradictory. These chat questions and answers are from murthy chat 10/21. My pay on LC is 58K and my actual salary is 75K, I don't know how my employer or attorney will handle this if an RFE is raised. My attorney has filed my W2K along with the 485 application also my employer has submitted an employment letter which clearly states that they would emplo me indefinitely(?? atleast in letter) and this letter is also submitted along with I-485.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chat User : What happens if one has been unable to maintain the salary on LC after the GC is approved? (LC salary was 90K and now getting 80K).

Attorney Murthy : The employer has to have a good-faith intention to offer the job, under the terms described in the LC, after the GC approval. If even after the approval, the 90K salary is still not paid, that is something that may be considered by INS, but the main issue is whether the person is working for them. It is not exactly clear under the law how this would be dealt with, however.

Chat User : Hi, Ms. Murthy. Great service. Is there a problem if the actual salary is above that on the LC by more than 15%?

Attorney Murthy : Usually, it should matter if the person joined a new employer. If it is the same sponsoring employer, there could be a concern that the job that was advertised was different than the one you may be holding and that job with the higher salary was not offered and advertised, as required by law. So, although it may not matter with a new employer, it could pose a problem if it is the same employer since it may also be considered as a new job opportunity not advertised to U.S. workers.

Chat User : I got promoted while the LC was pending at SESA. What effect might this have on the LC and what should be done to accommodate this change? Thank you very much.

Attorney Murthy : If the job is quite different from the original job, then a person is required to start a new LC process since the LC / GC is based on a future job offer. If the person is willing to go back to the original job AFTER getting the GC, then that is a different issue and the process may continue.

***The following are by searching the Murthy chat for LC and salary

Chat User : My labor application for green card recently got state approval. Afterwards, I had a pay cut. How does this affect my labor application?

Attorney Murthy : Neither the INS nor the Department of Labor particularly cares about the present salary of the person, except that it may show that the sponsoring employer is not financially viable, which could pose a problem. Generally, the INS cares more about the employer continuing to offer a full-time, permanent position to the person with the salary mentioned on the LC at the time the person obtains the GC.

Chat User : Will doubling the salary of an approved LCA pose any problem at the time of I-485 approval? Thanks, Sheelaji.

Attorney Murthy : It could, depending on which employer one is working for at the time of I-485 approval. If it is the same sponsoring employer, it may make one wonder why they did not advertise that salary. On the other hand, if it is a different employer under AC21 portability law, then it may not pose a problem. Also, I assume you mean LC for the green card and not the H1B LCA salary, since many people mix up the 2 terms.

Chat User : After 3 years of LC, would a salary that's 40% higher than what's in LC be a problem in 485 interview, even though job duties are the same?

Attorney Murthy : Should not pose a problem if the increase is explained as performance based bonuses or salary increases. Should be established that the same job duties are being performed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Blinking

I read other thread about the same situation what i am facing.

My employer should have put 73K on LC that is what i am getting now.

Does the INS really check each and every pay stub. last year w2 says 73K.

Do i have a chance for denial (don't want to)

But i should think in both way. I have to prepare for anything right ?

Question?

Did your employer submit an intent for continued employment letter along with the I-485 appln?

Did you submit a copy of the tax returns for the previous year along with the I-485?

It may just be a case where INS may be looking for a employment letter and the w2k.

Did you take a second opinion from another attorney?

Keeps us posted about your case.
Thanks
3DM

3DM

Did your employer submit an intent for continued employment letter along with the I-485 appln?

I don't know. May be they might. (I will call them and update here)

Did you submit a copy of the tax returns for the previous year along with the I-485?

No. (lawyer thought not needed)

It may just be a case where INS may be looking for a employment letter and the w2k.

Yes. you may be right.

Did you take a second opinion from another attorney?

No.

Actually my lawyer did not attached w2 and tax return forms while applying 485. I asked but lawyer said no need

Also My labour and I-140 applied in CA
485 applied in VT since i am working in Burlington VT

I will update this thread about each step