OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Hi guys..

I still in process of getting US citizenship so still long way to go.. but I am just monitoring this thread.. I was under impression that US and Indian passports should be sent alongwith the OCI application... is it not true? I see that many people have sent passports much later...

At DC, you can send the Indian Passport and OCI application together. They will cancel your indian pp and approve OCI. Once OCI is approved then only yo send the US passport for U (Oci universal visa) stamping.
hope this helps

Hi guys..

I still in process of getting US citizenship so still long way to go.. but I am just monitoring this thread.. I was under impression that US and Indian passports should be sent alongwith the OCI application... is it not true? I see that many people have sent passports much later...

At the time of application it is not required to send the US passport , once it is approved you would need to send them to get stamped. This is the process which used to be.
But with the Travisa process outsourced recently , I believe you would need to send the US passport along with application

never know what would be process at the time you get your citizenship :)

Received OCI but did not get SC in the packet - can someone please respond urgently?

Guys,
I just had UPS deliver the OCI documents. My US PP is stamped and I have a OCI booklet. My Indian PP has a seal on next to the photo page that its canceled - acquired US Citizenship and the passport is clipped on two edges!. However, there is no other letter or any sheet of paper that looks like a Surrender Certificate. Is that normal or did the Indian Embassy just forget to send me back my document? thanks

Guys,
I just had UPS deliver the OCI documents. My US PP is stamped and I have a OCI booklet. My Indian PP has a seal on next to the photo page that its canceled - acquired US Citizenship and the passport is clipped on two edges!. However, there is no other letter or any sheet of paper that looks like a Surrender Certificate. Is that normal or did the Indian Embassy just forget to send me back my document? thanks
10/13/10 - USC
10/23/10 - Rcvd US PP
11/02/10 - Appn (renuniciation and OCI) delivered @ Embassy in DC
12/10/10 - OCI appln ack at Embassy in DC
12/18/10 - Photos/Sign Scanned
12/28/10 - docs prnted
12/29/10 - docs dispatched
01/14/11 - docs rcvd at DC
01/17/11 - Sent US PP for OCI stamping (delvrd on 1/18)
01/25/11 - OCI recd but no SC inside the packet?!?

I am also interested to know this.

The surrender certificate is the form you used to apply for it. they endorse the bottom section and send one copy back to you. All that money for a piece of junk...

The surrender certificate is the form you used to apply for it. they endorse the bottom section and send one copy back to you. All that money for a piece of junk...

And I did not get that piece of form after endorsing:(:confused:. All I had in the envelope was my Indian PP clipped at two edges with a seal inside, my OCI stamp on US PP and OCI booklet. I hope its coming in a diff packet or something but without a tracking # UPS wont tell me if I am getting another packet. No response from Indian embassy for my email. The Consular services phone# listed keeps ringing and goes to Voice Mail!

And I did not get that piece of form after endorsing:(:confused:. All I had in the envelope was my Indian PP clipped at two edges with a seal inside, my OCI stamp on US PP and OCI booklet. I hope its coming in a diff packet or something but without a tracking # UPS wont tell me if I am getting another packet. No response from Indian embassy for my email. The Consular services phone# listed keeps ringing and goes to Voice Mail!

dilbert,
I am sorry to hear this. But I do not thonk it is coming in a seperte mailing. Please keep following up with them. It is frustrating that after charging the money they are not sending the certificate.

Can anyone please throw some light that in case the SC is not received, where else it may be needed after getting OCI?

thanks

dilbert,
I am sorry to hear this. But I do not thonk it is coming in a seperte mailing. Please keep following up with them. It is frustrating that after charging the money they are not sending the certificate.

Can anyone please throw some light that in case the SC is not received, where else it may be needed after getting OCI?

thanks

Unless they have changed to rules. If you applied the SC along with OCI application, they would not send you the Certificate itself.

I may be wrong in today's scenario.

Most likely they have filed away your docs. Chances are remote that they will take the trouble to find it and send it to you. If you had it in your hand one could say "kiss it goodbye", but you can't even do that... ;)

You could try sending them a letter by mail. If you don't get it, say "Ah well" and give it up. As long as your passport is cancelled it is ok.

Most likely they have filed away your docs. Chances are remote that they will take the trouble to find it and send it to you. If you had it in your hand one could say "kiss it goodbye", but you can't even do that... ;)

You could try sending them a letter by mail. If you don't get it, say "Ah well" and give it up. As long as your passport is cancelled it is ok.

But when next time, the OCI is renewed for the kid, will they ask the SC again?

Unless they have changed to rules. If you applied the SC along with OCI application, they would not send you the Certificate itself.

I did send my OCI and SC applications together in one packet..I have sent them an email yest and I kept trying their # all day long. No luck there

I did send my OCI and SC applications together in one packet..I have sent them an email yest and I kept trying their # all day long. No luck there

Today it is an Holiday for embassy on account of Republic Day .
I wouldnt be surprised if you are not able to get hold of them in Non holiday also :).

got OCIs for my entire family

following are my dates

mailed packet to dc : nov 24-2010
date of ack : dec 15-2010
scanned : dec 22-2010
granted : dec 28-2010
printed : dec 28-2010
dispatched : dec 29-2010
received at DC : Jan 14-2011

mailed passports to DC : Jan 21-2011
passports received at DC : Jan 24-2011
Passports+OCI received back : Jan 27-2011

got OCIs for my entire family

following are my dates

mailed packet to dc : nov 24-2010
date of ack : dec 15-2010
scanned : dec 22-2010
granted : dec 28-2010
printed : dec 28-2010
dispatched : dec 29-2010
received at DC : Jan 14-2011

mailed passports to DC : Jan 21-2011
passports received at DC : Jan 24-2011
Passports+OCI received back : Jan 27-2011
Congrats. Happy ending for you.

It's still the same rule. dilbert30's application date is very close to mine, and I have got my SC (picked up from their office) but have not send my US PP for OCI booklet (arrived in their embassy). So embassy has definitely forgotten to send SC along with OCI in dilbert30's package.

hmm you definitely seems stressed out...... FYI, they send SC + OCI in the same package. I received this information from embassy officer when I drove down to embassy in last week of december,2010.

where does it say that SC is needed to travel to India ? If you got the OCI and Indian passport is cancelled then I think you need not worry of about SC. Read the 5 point in indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/renunciation/display-requirements