OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I have said it again and again, have a thread but you people still do it and than blame embassy for their slowness or bad process. While I agree that process should be improved but don't agree with the fact people buy tickets to go to a country which requires permission to enter that you don't have in hand.

Unless until you have an Emergency do NOT plan the travel to India or book tickets until you have your OCI in your Hand. If you do that, you are the only one responsible and you can't blame Indian Embassy for their slowness or bad process.

They have it written on the OCI webpage very clearly not to plan until you receive OCI in hand.

You're right. I am guilty. But in my defense, the embassy sets a higher expectation and then fails to deliver. Instead of the 3 month they should clearly outline 4-6 months and then one would consider the entry visa route to begin with. We sent the app in begining of Sept and expected everything to be done by Dec end (over their three month guidance). But Alas! hopes that they don't follow Indian Stretch Time are in vain!

Sorry but you are guilty of planning the travel before you have OCI in hand, so the pain will be there and I am not very sympathetic with anybody who do that since Indian Embassy clearly writes up "DO NOT PLAN TRAVEL OR BOOK TICKETS BEFORE YOU RECEIVE OCI IN HAND"

See my comments below:

You're right. I am guilty. But in my defense, the embassy sets a higher expectation and then fails to deliver. Instead of the 3 month they should clearly outline 4-6 months and then one would consider the entry visa route to begin with. We sent the app in begining of Sept and expected everything to be done by Dec end (over their three month guidance). But Alas! hopes that they don't follow Indian Stretch Time are in vain!

I hope that you get your stuff back in hand by 1st week of Jan. But its a lesson learned for us for future, if we ever have to deal with an Indian Govt department, never set the expectations so high that you would suffer with no mistakes of yours.

I completely agree with you. Most importantly I have not seen a pathetic description of any procedure as embassy website has for any visa processing. Lack of clarity and lack of information for their customers.

The extent of Ambiguity

Below is an abstract from the Oci.php site about arrival of card details. please see the highlighted...

OCI - ARRIVAL DETAILS OF CARD

The applicant will not receive any letter regarding the OCI status. He should check the OCI status online. There is no need of confirming by phone or by e-mail. After the status shows that the card has reached the Embassy, he/she should mail the US (foreign) passport(s) PREFERABLY BY FEDEX/UPS to the Embassy of India, OCI Wing, 2536 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20008 so that the Embassy can issue the OCI card and OCI visa sticker.

The Applicant should not forget to write their file numbers in a cover letter along with the passport/s (this file no. is found when applicant checks status online with the assigned ref. no.).

To find out applicant's "file no.", please enter "reference no." here: http//ociindia.nic.in

If the applicant is a PIO card holder, he/she is also required to surrender the same to Embassy.
In case delivery is desired by mail, the applicant has to pay the postage charge of $20 through a postal money order/cashier’s check favoring "Embassy of India”. This money is not refundable. No personal check is acceptable. so what if delivery is not desired by mail? Option to pick up if delivery is not desired by mail?

I just checked with my bank today and found out that Embassy has cashed all my cashier's check (both SC and OCI applications) on December 17th. They acknowledged my application on December 16th. Looks like they have started doing some work.

Bada bing ... bada boom!
4 PPTs + 2 OCI reg and few photos. No Jacksons.
No Surrender certs. (just teeney weeny stamp on 2nd page)

Cheers fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Misc service(updating OCI on new US PP), application acknowledged
Consulate/Embassy :- Washington DC
OCI Misc docs mailed: 11/15/2010
Docs recieved by embassy :11/16/2010
Registration Status: Granted
OCI Acknowledged: 11/30/2010
OCI Scanned: 12/13/2010
OCI Granted: 12/24/2010
OCI Printed: 12/24/2010
OCI Shipped: NOT DISPATCHED

My OCI status updated today and shows photo and signature scanned on 12/24/2010

SC + OCI Sent in Mail: 11/9/2010
Mail Delivered at Embassy: 11/12/2010
OCI Acknowledged: 12/16/2010
Cashier's check cashed by embassy: 12/17/2010
OCI Photo and Signature Scanned: 12/24/2010

Last edited by a moderator:
My OCI status updated today and shows photo and signature scanned on 12/24/2010

SC + OCI Sent in Mail: 11/9/2010
Mail Delivered at Embassy: 11/12/2010
OCI Acknowledged: 12/16/2010
Cashier's check cashed by embassy: 12/17/2010
OCI Photo and Signature Scanned: 12/24/2010

congrats. you are on your way.

Congrats! Hopefully my parents will arrive today! They had applied for SC and OCI together as well.

Bada bing ... bada boom!
4 PPTs + 2 OCI reg and few photos. No Jacksons.
No Surrender certs. (just teeney weeny stamp on 2nd page)

Cheers fellas.

Hi,
I have applied for OCI/SC together. Now I need to apply for Visa. Travisa needs SC for Entry visa. How do I get that? I called Travisa and someone told me I have to apply for Visa at the consulate since I have OCI application pending. Is that correct? If so where are the instructions for applying at the consulate. Please help.

Finally... improvement and tracking available for future applicants

An abstract from OCI link on the Indian Embassy site.

"Advisory: OCI and PIO Services outsourced

The Embassy of India has decided to outsource the handling of OCI & PIO applications to M/s. Travisa Outsourcing. The outsourcing arrangement in respect of the area falling under the consular jurisdiction of the Embassy of India, Washington DC (The Jurisdiction of Embassy of India, Washington D.C. is Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.) will come into effect on 11th January, 2011.

For smooth transition it has been decided that no applications will be received by the Embassy of India from 1st January to 10th January, 2011. Intending applicants are therefore advised not to submit any OCI/PIO applications by mail or otherwise during this period.

M/s Travisa Outsourcing will receive OCI/PIO applications with effect from 11th January, 2011. All applications received by Travisa Outsourcing will be acknowledged to the applicants by the next working day. For detailed guidelines on submitting the applications, documentation requirements and fee etc., kindly visit the following links:

www'dot'travisaoci'dot'com

www'dot'travisapio'dot'com

The outsourcing arrangement will not affect the applicants whose applications are already under process. Such applicants will continue to deal directly with the Embassy of India including submission of additional documents and passports. However, the applicants whose applications have been returned by the Embassy on account of any deficiency will have to resubmit the application to M/s Travisa (and not to the Embassy of India) after addressing the deficiencies.

The outsourcing arrangement in respect of the areas falling under the consular jurisdictions of the Indian Consulates in New York, San Francisco, Houston and Chicago will come into effect subsequently for which the exact schedule will be notified by them separately.