OCI - Washington DC Tracker

smart84, wait for your application to be Acknowledged. That means they have started the OCI process and is also an indirect confirmation that your renunciation application is approved. Wait till 2nd week of Jan , do not worry too much . There will be enough time to get an entry visa, which i think will not be needed for your Feb travel.

Why don't all Houstanians' and Washingtonvasis' start a signature campaign and write to Min.OF External Affairs. You all should write to Shashi Tharoor. Yes Shashi Tharoor who was eased out as minister of state. He is member of Parliamentary Committee 0n MEA and is net savvy. He will read your post.

Thanks a lot madh4.

Folks,

I just got an update on my OCI application today morning. Here's the status it shows on my OCI application.

Question:
1. How long will it take to get OCI in hand from the current application state?
2. Should I assume that my passport surrender certificate (I applied for SC and OCI together) is been processed and issued by embassy?
3. How long will it take to get SC in hand from this state? Or Are they going to hold my SC certificate while OCI application is under process?

Application Status
==============
Registration Status: UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot madh4.

Folks,

I just got an update on my OCI application today morning. Here's the status it shows on my OCI application.

Question:
1. How long will it take to get OCI in hand from the current application state?
2. Should I assume that my passport surrender certificate (I applied for SC and OCI together) is been processed and issued by embassy?
3. How long will it take to get SC in hand from this state? Or Are they going to hold my SC certificate while OCI application is under process?

Application Status
==============
Registration Status: UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON

I believe from your post that you got date of acknowledgment in " Online OCI Enquiry Form". If you have received Date of Acknowledgment, within next 3-4 weeks whole process will be over.

Within next 10 days, Scanned, Registration Status granted and docs printed will be complete. If there is any problem with your photo then it will be stuck at Printing stage. Otherwise for most it is a smooth sail. Wish you same.

madh4,
Don't want to sound pessimistic, assuming I get my ppt by end of next week It will take about 6 weeks. Folks who applied near the same time as me are having similar timeframes.

thanks,

R

I believe from your post that you got date of acknowledgment in " Online OCI Enquiry Form". If you have received Date of Acknowledgment, within next 3-4 weeks whole process will be over.

Within next 10 days, Scanned, Registration Status granted and docs printed will be complete. If there is any problem with your photo then it will be stuck at Printing stage. Otherwise for most it is a smooth sail. Wish you same.

madh4..... I should say "tumhare muh mein ghee shakkar :)" I hope things proceeds exactly to what you have described :) but we all know how unpredicted embassy is these days. I just don't want to get a last minute chance for OCI. That's the reason why I want to apply for entry visa ASAP. Since I don't have receive my SC in hand so I am also stuck to apply for entry visa.

From what I read thru recent posts on this thread....... few ppl have got SC in 10 days from the date their OCI application was acknowledged and some people received it in the end with their OCI card.

I had a plan to go to DC in early next week but I am just postponing with a hope that they will send me SC in next 10 days and OCI application process will continue. And if that does not happen, do you recommend to make a trip to DC and get my SC from their office?

FYI, I have provided them $175 + $20 (mailing cost) for SC application and $275 + $20 (mailing cost) for OCI application to embassy.

madh4..... I should say "tumhare muh mein ghee shakkar :)" I hope things proceeds exactly to what you have described :) but we all know how unpredicted embassy is these days. I just don't want to get a last minute chance for OCI. That's the reason why I want to apply for entry visa ASAP. Since I don't have receive my SC in hand so I am also stuck to apply for entry visa.

From what I read thru recent posts on this thread....... few ppl have got SC in 10 days from the date their OCI application was acknowledged and some people received it in the end with their OCI card.

I had a plan to go to DC in early next week but I am just postponing with a hope that they will send me SC in next 10 days and OCI application process will continue. And if that does not happen, do you recommend to make a trip to DC and get my SC from their office?

FYI, I have provided them $175 + $20 (mailing cost) for SC application and $275 + $20 (mailing cost) for OCI application to embassy.

all the best.
Please keep form posted on updates and when you receive your SC.

Why can't the OCI Tracking page has 1 more status ->

Shipped Passport/OCI Booklet -> Date and Tracking Number
--->> We paid $20 for this, we deserve to get this information ... ?? No??

I guess, if you sent prepaid envelope, you can track it.
but what you suggested is best.

Hey alren, Did you get your Surrender Certificate before you sent your OCI appln? I have sent my OCI and SC request all in one package and havent heard anything on the SC. Btw, u were on the GC forums when I was applying for my GC and getting ready for Consular Processing in late 2004! Good to see you back here in oci forums!

madh4,
Don't want to sound pessimistic, assuming I get my ppt by end of next week It will take about 6 weeks. Folks who applied near the same time as me are having similar timeframes.

thanks,

R

Question on Surrender Certificate

Hi,
I wanted to post a separate question on Surrender Certificate (I got confused reading a lot of posts). I sent my OCI appln + SC appln all in one packet with the appln fees and two mailing fees! The DC consulate said on its website that they recommend we send both OCI appln and SC appln together. My OCI appln is acknowledged and photos / signature are scanned. When should I expect the SC to be returned and how do they send it back - USPS, UPS, FedEx?

Thanks,
dilbert

Hi,
I wanted to post a separate question on Surrender Certificate (I got confused reading a lot of posts). I sent my OCI appln + SC appln all in one packet with the appln fees and two mailing fees! The DC consulate said on its website that they recommend we send both OCI appln and SC appln together. My OCI appln is acknowledged and photos / signature are scanned. When should I expect the SC to be returned and how do they send it back - USPS, UPS, FedEx?

Thanks,
dilbert

As far as I know you will not get the SC, all you get a canceled Indian Passport ===>>> If you apply for SC along with OCI, which you have done. Telling from my own experience, things may have changed from August to now.

I know ... tell me about it. At least before this we had something to look to ... but now is the fedex guy there ... is the fedex guy there ... is the fedex ...

LOL

Hey alren, Did you get your Surrender Certificate before you sent your OCI appln? I have sent my OCI and SC request all in one package and havent heard anything on the SC. Btw, u were on the GC forums when I was applying for my GC and getting ready for Consular Processing in late 2004! Good to see you back here in oci forums!

howdy dilbert .. I think I remember ...
No I applied both at the same time. So never got any updated on SC . I am hoping I get all that stuff along with OCI.

cheers!

Hi,

Thanks,
dilbert
I sent 4 $20 Cashiers check 1 each for SC and OCI for me and 1 each for my wife. At this point I think they will send us all our stuff in a single package for both of us. I wonder if I will get the 3 $20 CC back. ... (0).(o) (confused).

As I said in the earlier post never saw any SC come my way for my $40 worth ...

So friends as expected, Indian Embassy has eaten up my $40 without taking 'Dakaar'.

As you all know, I sent all 3 applications (wife, 2 kids) separately with $20 return fee for each application and yesterday I received all the 3 Passports/3 OCI booklets in ONE single envelope. You would expect these desi babu's would show some courtesy and send the unused return fee ($40) back but hey they are Indian Babu's they would rather keep that money in their pocket than be honest and send it back to me.

So total loss for during our family OCI process:
$175 - $20 = $155 for my Passport Cancellation (I was citizen before all the fiasco started) + $40 return doc fees (unused money) = $195 + the extra shipping fees that I had shed because of their mistakes not mine.

=>> I guess my donation target for this year is completed now and I will try my best not to have anything do to with one of the WORST Government services in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, YES, I received all 3 OCI cards along with passports yesterday for my wife and 2 kids. Here is the final timeline for all:

Wife:
09/20/2010: OCI Docs 2 DC
09/21/2010: RECD at DC
10/21/2010: Ack'ed
11/11/2010: Scanned
11/20/2010: Granted
11/27/2010: Printed
12/02/2010: Dispatched
12/14/2010: Received at DC
12/13/2010: Mailed US Passports to DC
12/14/2010: Passports received at DC
12/20/2010: OCI Received by Me

Kids:
10/06/2010: OCI Docs 2 DC
10/07/2010: RECD at DC
11/03/2010: Ack'ed
11/15/2010: Scanned
11/29/2010: Printed
12/03/2010: Dispatched
12/13/2010: Mailed US Passports/PIO to DC
12/14/2010: Passports/PIO received at DC

I sent 4 $20 Cashiers check 1 each for SC and OCI for me and 1 each for my wife. At this point I think they will send us all our stuff in a single package for both of us. I wonder if I will get the 3 $20 CC back. ... (0).(o) (confused).

Forget it, Read my post above you will know why :)

So friends as expected, Indian Embassy has eaten up my $40 without taking 'Dakaar'.

As you all know, I sent all 3 applications (wife, 2 kids) separately with $20 return fee for each application and yesterday I received all the 3 Passports/3 OCI booklets in ONE single envelope. You would expect these desi babu's would show some courtesy and send the unused return fee ($40) back but hey they are Indian Babu's they would rather keep that money in their pocket than be honest and send it back to me.

So total loss for during our family OCI process:
$175 - $20 = $155 for my Passport Cancellation (I was citizen before all the fiasco started) + $40 return doc fees (unused money) = $195 + the extra shipping fees that I had shed because of their mistakes not mine.

=>> I guess my donation target for this year is completed now and I will try my best not to have anything do to with one of the WORST Government services in the world.

DO not worry. You must be happy that it is done.
By the way, YES, I received all 3 OCI cards along with passports yesterday for my wife and 2 kids. Here is the final timeline for all:

Wife:
09/20/2010: OCI Docs 2 DC
09/21/2010: RECD at DC
10/21/2010: Ack'ed
11/11/2010: Scanned
11/27/2010: Printed
12/02/2010: Dispatched
12/13/2010: Mailed US Passports to DC
12/14/2010: Passports received at DC

Kids:
10/06/2010: OCI Docs 2 DC
10/07/2010: RECD at DC
11/03/2010: Ack'ed
11/15/2010: Scanned
11/29/2010: Printed
12/03/2010: Dispatched
12/13/2010: Mailed US Passports/PIO to DC
12/14/2010: Passports/PIO received at DC

congrats and thansk for posting detailed info.
did you apply for SC and OCI together?
when did you receive SC?

thansk again

DO not worry. You must be happy that it is done.

congrats and thansk for posting detailed info.
did you apply for SC and OCI together?
when did you receive SC?

thanks again

My wife got her passport cancelled before all the SC fiasco started along with her VISA application during April-May 2010, she didn't have to pay a single penny to get that Gold plated Stamp.
I got stuck cos I applied OCI at the time and they sent my documents back asking me to submit $175 for PPT cancellation, which I sent, and later they changed the rule, saying that anybody who got US citizenship before June 1 2010, will have to just pay $20. Guess what my Indian PPT was cancelled on June 2nd and they still charged me $175, why cos I sent it, they now owe me $155 the balance that I am entitled to receive back since my citizenship was done in April this yr.

We never received SC, we only have Gold Plate Canceled stamps on our Indian Passports.

My wife got her passport cancelled before all the SC fiasco started along with her VISA application during April-May 2010, she didn't have to pay a single penny to get that Gold plated Stamp.
I got stuck cos I applied OCI at the time and they sent my documents back asking me to submit $175 for PPT cancellation, which I sent, and later they changed the rule, saying that anybody who got US citizenship before June 1 2010, will have to just pay $20. Guess what my Indian PPT was cancelled on June 2nd and they still charged me $175, why cos I sent it, they now owe me $155 the balance that I am entitled to receive back since my citizenship was done in April this yr.

We never received SC, we only have Gold Plate Canceled stamps on our Indian Passports.

As you are dont with them now, start writing and calling them for $175 back. They can not do anything negative now.
but it is not worth. Just be happy that it is all over now.

Wife:

Kids:
Congrats. Hope that means I will get mine today. (Hoping I did not miss the green penwala) .... :)