OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I have a question and would appreciate the response from this group.

I am hoping soon I will be reaching the "Documents received at Washington" stage.

What are the documents, I need to mail in addition to US PP. I have the SC and cancelled PP with me.

Thanks in advance.

Srini

1) Cover Letter
2) US Passport
3) Screenshot printout of the OCI Tracking website stating the docs are received
4) If you have not sent $20 doc return fee or return envelope, include it with this mail now

I don't think you would need anything else ... people can take a look at my list and comment.

Misc service(updating OCI on new US PP), application acknowledged
Consulate/Embassy :- Washington DC
OCI Misc docs mailed: 11/15/2010
Docs recieved by embassy :11/16/2010
Registration Status: Under Process
OCI Acknowledged: 11/30/2010
OCI Scanned: 12/13/2010
OCI Granted:
OCI Printed:
OCI Shipped:

1) Cover Letter
2) US Passport
3) Screenshot printout of the OCI Tracking website stating the docs are received
4) If you have not sent $20 doc return fee or return envelope, include it with this mail now

I don't think you would need anything else ... people can take a look at my list and comment.
That's it. I had already sent fee earlier. I prepared my package yest. (minus no.3)

Oops! forgot to mention, Just checked.

Doc recd. at DC tomorrow ;) (The status says recd. on Dec 14)

Cheers!

Oops! forgot to mention, Just checked.

Doc recd. at DC tomorrow ;) (The status says recd. on Dec 14)

Cheers!

Looks like the work has been outsourced to India for even OCI processing updates to the websites ;-)
I am sending my package tomorrow morning, lets see how long these babu's will take to ship the package back to us.

I think it is the S/W issue. The consular fellow must have updated it in the afternoon, which will save it in the UTC format in the system. Now this server in NIC reads it it converts to IST cause that's where it's running. So it 12/13:2P EST gets converted to 12/14. ;)

Me thinx to get a green pen and pray to it every morning ... LOL ...

Couldn't wait ... shipped the Passports/PIO at 5:50pm, just before the 6pm FedEx pickup.

Guys, make sure you send it via FedEx, they are the most reliable company if it comes to sending/receiving documents such as PPT etc...

Hello,
I asked a question regarding my OCI application few days ago and I have recently checked my cashier's check status thru Bank.

Bank told me that Embassy has still not cashed those checks. I have applied for passport cancellation as well as OCI together but sent separate checks for independent processing as per what Washington embassy website.

Question:
1. My both applications (passport cancellation and OCI) reached their office on November 12th and till today they have not done any processing. Should I make a trip to Washington DC to find out about my passport cancellation processing?
2. Is there any way to get indian visa without getting passport surrender certificate? Or will I have to wait for them to provide surrender certificate?
3. What should I bring when I visit the embassy in order to get surrender certificate quickly?

You wrote in your last message that you would wait till January, so wait till January!!! Read my answers below:

Hello,
I asked a question regarding my OCI application few days ago and I have recently checked my cashier's check status thru Bank.

Bank told me that Embassy has still not cashed those checks. I have applied for passport cancellation as well as OCI together but sent separate checks for independent processing as per what Washington embassy website.

Question:
1. My both applications (passport cancellation and OCI) reached their office on November 12th and till today they have not done any processing. Should I make a trip to Washington DC to find out about my passport cancellation processing? No, You will waste your time by visiting DC, it will not help you in anyways. Wait for 2 more weeks I am sure your case will have some progress like all others had. Remember Embassy could take 12 weeks to acknowledge the application as per the website.
2. Is there any way to get indian visa without getting passport surrender certificate? Or will I have to wait for them to provide surrender certificate?No you can't, yes you will have to get SC before you could do anything else
3. What should I bring when I visit the embassy in order to get surrender certificate quickly? If you do go to DC which is not recommended, than bring anything or everything that you could with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wrote in your last message that you would wait till January, so wait till January!!! Read my answers below:

Thanks Sam. I mentioned to wait till January to apply for entry visa if I don't see any update on my OCI application. But at the same time I have also applied for SC and there is no update on that as well. I heard it usually gets done in 4 weeks for majority of applicants (exceptions are also there :) ).

Can you point me to the embassy link where it says it takes upto 12 weeks to ack OCI application? And is there any ETA embassy commits for SC applicants?

:) Good luck
Link:
http://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php

Search for:
Enquiry: There is no counter service for OCI. There is no telephone enquiry facility for OCI. All queries should be made through sending an email. Email queries will only be replied after 12 weeks of receipt of OCI application in the Embassy.

This effectively says do NOT bother us for 12 weeks after you sent your documents. I know it sux but you will not get any help if you try to get in touch with them before this period. Read the same page about more info on SC.

:) Good luck
Link:

Search for:
Enquiry: There is no counter service for OCI. There is no telephone enquiry facility for OCI. All queries should be made through sending an email. Email queries will only be replied after 12 weeks of receipt of OCI application in the Embassy.

This effectively says do NOT bother us for 12 weeks after you sent your documents. I know it sux but you will not get any help if you try to get in touch with them before this period. Read the same page about more info on SC.

Thanks for wishes :)

They are saying to bother them only after 12 weeks if there is no update on OCI application :) But there is no time frame given for SC application................ And at this point I am more interested to get my SC ASAP and I will apply for entry visa immediately so I don't need to wait for lazy ppl to get my OCI done. I just hope will get some detailed update when I make a trip to Washington DC.

smart84, wait for your application to be Acknowledged. That means they have started the OCI process and is also an indirect confirmation that your renunciation application is approved. Wait till 2nd week of Jan , do not worry too much . There will be enough time to get an entry visa, which i think will not be needed for your Feb travel.

Why don't all Houstanians' and Washingtonvasis' start a signature campaign and write to Min.OF External Affairs. You all should write to Shashi Tharoor. Yes Shashi Tharoor who was eased out as minister of state. He is member of Parliamentary Committee 0n MEA and is net savvy. He will read your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends,

Apparently things have started moving for us though slowly only.

Had sent our OCI applications (myself, wife and daughter) on 11/17/2010 and today (12/15/2010) applications are showing been acknowledged at the embassy, Washington D.C. I can only hope from now that all remaining steps will get done as soon as possible.

I have a question for experts at the forum though...Is it possible to change the mailing address after OCI application acknowledgment or between any stages of the OCI process...We might move (as if there aren't enough uncertainty dealing with folks at DC and it may be not advisable either) but only after making sure that they have some process to cover this scenario. I contacted FedEx and UPS and they can not divert the package on receiver request....( I know I am not the first one here who may have to deal with this scenario).

Any advice is appreciated..

Thanks...

Friends,

Apparently things have started moving for us though slowly only.

Had sent our OCI applications (myself, wife and daughter) on 11/17/2010 and today (12/15/2010) applications are showing been acknowledged at the embassy, Washington D.C. I can only hope from now that all remaining steps will get done as soon as possible.

I have a question for experts at the forum though...Is it possible to change the mailing address after OCI application acknowledgment or between any stages of the OCI process...We might move (as if there aren't enough uncertainty dealing with folks at DC and it may be not advisable either) but only after making sure that they have some process to cover this scenario. I contacted FedEx and UPS and they can not divert the package on receiver request....( I know I am not the first one here who may have to deal with this scenario).

Any advice is appreciated..

Thanks...
congrats. It should come in a month now so try to keep the same addresss.

My recommendations:
Do NOT make any changes to your application Sandeep, and let the process be completed as it is if you want to get your OCI without any further delays.