OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Friends,

I have sent OCI applications on 11/17/2010 to the Indian embassy, Washington DC for three of us (wife, daughter and myself under "family options"). At the same time, in same package, I included the indian citizenship renunciation applications for wife & myself. All the documents were attached as per the requirements. Fadex delivered the packet to them with a signature next day ie 11/18/2010...

The applications have not been acknowledged yet? How much time it is taking nowadays before they acknowledge OCI applications?

Appreciate any information.

This wait kills as there is no way to find if the application is lost in the pile or it is just they are having so much work load.

Acknowledged

Sandeep and recent filers:

My OCI application has finally been acknowledged...

Recd in Washington: 10/26
Acknowledged: 12/07

Friends,

I have sent OCI applications on 11/17/2010 to the Indian embassy, Washington DC for three of us (wife, daughter and myself under "family options"). At the same time, in same package, I included the indian citizenship renunciation applications for wife & myself. All the documents were attached as per the requirements. Fadex delivered the packet to them with a signature next day ie 11/18/2010...

The applications have not been acknowledged yet? How much time it is taking nowadays before they acknowledge OCI applications?

Appreciate any information.

Well no activities in our cases since the Dispatch so I thought I should vent it out here :) How is everybody else doing as far as status is concerned?

Hello experts,

I applied for OCI card and a request to cancel the passport in one package. It was delivered at Washington Embassy on 11/11/2010.

Today I checked my OCI status and it's still showing me as "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged".

Questions:
1. How many days normally as well as in worst case it takes to see status update for an application?
2. I have a plan to travel in early February, 2011. But I am now worried that will I be able to get OCI in time?
3. From the day OCI gets printed in India, how many days it takes to reach Embassy in USA?
4. If I make a trip to Washington Embassy, will they give me OCI card on a same day though I requested for mail service?
5. If OCI procedure is not completed in time by the time when I make my trip to India, what options will I have to get visa for India? Can I get a different type of visa on a same day by visiting an embassy at the last day before I fly to India?

I am just worried because no one in our family has gone thru this process before and I have no clue about any relatives past experience.

Appreciate your help on this!

Hello experts,

I applied for OCI card and a request to cancel the passport in one package. It was delivered at Washington Embassy on 11/11/2010.

Today I checked my OCI status and it's still showing me as "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged".

Questions:
1. How many days normally as well as in worst case it takes to see status update for an application?
2. I have a plan to travel in early February, 2011. But I am now worried that will I be able to get OCI in time?
3. From the day OCI gets printed in India, how many days it takes to reach Embassy in USA?
4. If I make a trip to Washington Embassy, will they give me OCI card on a same day though I requested for mail service?
5. If OCI procedure is not completed in time by the time when I make my trip to India, what options will I have to get visa for India? Can I get a different type of visa on a same day by visiting an embassy at the last day before I fly to India?

I am just worried because no one in our family has gone thru this process before and I have no clue about any relatives past experience.

Appreciate your help on this!

most of your questions are answered in oci tracker . google it. i cannot attach other websites link. There you can even narrow search to USA (Washington)

I feel you will get ack before new year and your OCI process should be complete by 26jan. I have seen posts of other visiting embassy to collect OCI in person. best of luck

Here is my present status on OCI Washington DC

09/09/2010-Application Received
11/12/2010-Application Acknowledged
11/18/2010-Surrender Cer/Canceled Passport received
11/20/2010-Photo Scanned/Registration-in process
12/09/2010-Registration Status Granted
XX/XX/2010-Documents Printed
XX/XX/2010-Documents Dispatched

Srini

Sandeep and recent filers:

My OCI application has finally been acknowledged...

Recd in Washington: 10/26
Acknowledged: 12/07

most of your questions are answered in oci tracker . google it. i cannot attach other websites link. There you can even narrow search to USA (Washington)

I feel you will get ack before new year and your OCI process should be complete by 26jan. I have seen posts of other visiting embassy to collect OCI in person. best of luck

well what other options I have if in case OCI is not delivered by the time I fly to India? And how soon I initiate that process to make sure I have a valid visa to enter in India.

well what other options I have if in case OCI is not delivered by the time I fly to India? And how soon I initiate that process to make sure I have a valid visa to enter in India.

if no progress by jan/20th apply for Entry visa, you should get it in 8-10days time

I do think that you should get your OCI by February BUT, lets be real, Embassy is NOT very consistent in any ways.

My recommendations:
Do NOT book the tickets until you receive your OCI. Do NOT think about other options as they will be unnecessary hassles. Remember you do not have permission to enter in India so you will be wasting your time/energy if you book your tickets knowing the uncertainty at Indian Embassy.

Sorry but I have to be pretty clear here. If you have any emergency than thats going to be a whole different topic.

If you don't have an emergency and you have already booked the tickets, than you broke the Rule # 1, on Indian Embassy's website, which is DO NOT PLAN TRAVELING UNTIL YOU GET YOUR OCI IN HAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
if no progress by jan/20th apply for Entry visa, you should get it in 8-10days time

I do think that you should get your OCI by February BUT, lets be real, Embassy is NOT very consistent in any ways.

My recommendations:
Do NOT book the tickets until you receive your OCI. Do NOT think about other options as they will be unnecessary hassles. Remember you do not have permission to enter in India so you will be wasting your time/energy if you book your tickets knowing the uncertainty at Indian Embassy.

Sorry but I have to be pretty clear here. If you have any emergency than thats going to be a whole different topic.

If you don't have an emergency and you have already booked the tickets, than you broke the Rule # 1, on Indian Embassy's website, which is DO NOT PLAN TRAVELING UNTIL YOU GET YOUR OCI IN HAND.

I see....... But I think as madh4 mentioned about Entry Visa, I can still apply that even if there is no emergency condition. Is that correct?

I agree that Indian Embassy is the pathetic organization to deal with.......... and we are out of luck on that. Especially I really feel bad when they don't even bother to pick up their phones. We are paying them to provide us a best quality service, and we get nothing but all hassles.

In my case...... We have a wedding in our family that I must attend in February 2nd week. So I am planning to leave from here in 1st week of February. At the same time I don't want to wait till the last minute for tickets as the prices for tickets will also go high compare to the cost of Entry Visa as a last resource.

I see....... But I think as madh4 mentioned about Entry Visa, I can still apply that even if there is no emergency condition. Is that correct?

I agree that Indian Embassy is the pathetic organization to deal with.......... and we are out of luck on that. Especially I really feel bad when they don't even bother to pick up their phones. We are paying them to provide us a best quality service, and we get nothing but all hassles.

In my case...... We have a wedding in our family that I must attend in February 2nd week. So I am planning to leave from here in 1st week of February. At the same time I don't want to wait till the last minute for tickets as the prices for tickets will also go high compare to the cost of Entry Visa as a last resource.

My recommendation in this case would be:
Do NOT play wait and watch game with embassy and kill yourself, its better to get "Entry VISA right away" for all the family members that need to attend the marriage and done with it, yes it is going to be good money but atleast you are not at the mercy of Embassy processes and you will have piece of mind.

Or postpone the marriage, if its possible ... I know its may not be an option for our families :)

Talk about the Embassy services, its no better than a Sarkari office in India, the only difference, in India you pay under the table and get your work done quickly and here you can't even do that so you are totally on the mercy of these people.

My recommendation in this case would be:
Do NOT play wait and watch game with embassy and kill yourself, its better to get "Entry VISA right away" for all the family members that need to attend the marriage and done with it, yes it is going to be good money but atleast you are not at the mercy of Embassy processes and you will have piece of mind.

Or postpone the marriage, if its possible ... I know its may not be an option for our families :)

Talk about the Embassy services, its no better than a Sarkari office in India, the only difference, in India you pay under the table and get your work done quickly and here you can't even do that so you are totally on the mercy of these people.

Agree :)

I think I will wait till early January to see if there is any progress on the application. Otherwise I will go ahead and apply for Entry Visa.

Should I expect to get surrender certificate same with OCI or will it be mailed in short amount of time?

Well no activities in our cases since the Dispatch so I thought I should vent it out here :) How is everybody else doing as far as status is concerned?
Same here. But immihelp tracker shows couple of them sent (NYC and SF cons) sent of 12/2 recd 12/7. One guy in CHI consulate from 12/6-12/9

waaiiittttiiiiinnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!

Same here. But immihelp tracker shows couple of them sent (NYC and SF cons) sent of 12/2 recd 12/7. One guy in CHI consulate from 12/6-12/9

waaiiittttiiiiinnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!

I am the lucky guy from CHI sent 12/6 and received 12/9 actually it was updated on 12/8 local time. Diplomatic mail should never take more than 4 days to reach destinations in USA. Mostly the consulates does not open their mail and even when they open the mail the babu's do not update "Online status" .

There is nothing any one can do but wait for 10 days and knock their door. This scenario was foreseen by people designing the system and put in a clause to contact after 10 days.

I am the lucky guy from CHI sent 12/6 and received 12/9 actually it was updated on 12/8 local time. Diplomatic mail should never take more than 4 days to reach destinations in USA. Mostly the consulates does not open their mail and even when they open the mail the babu's do not update "Online status" .

There is nothing any one can do but wait for 10 days and knock their door. This scenario was foreseen by people designing the system and put in a clause to contact after 10 days.

Congrats buddy, I was lucky too when my case was processed and docs came within 2 days but for my wife and kids we are still waiting 8 days now.
Not sure how to get the prompt response from them if I have to contact them after 10 days. They don't pick up phones? They don't reply back to the emails before 1 month...

What other way you could propose? Or just mail the Passports/PIO after 10 days?

madh4, Good for U.

I'm sure the embassy is busy in the ambassador search issue ... *just kidding* ;)

Is it 10 business or calendar days?

Sam, so for us should we contact after 13 Dec?

Guys,
I saw the message change to application acknowledged for my OCI application. When should I send my US PP and any cover letter to go with it to get the OCI stamped. Do you think I might get my Indian PP canceled and returned along with SC in the near future? Thanks,
dilbert

I have a question and would appreciate the response from this group.

I am hoping soon I will be reaching the "Documents received at Washington" stage.

What are the documents, I need to mail in addition to US PP. I have the SC and cancelled PP with me.

Thanks in advance.

Srini