OCI - Washington DC Tracker

So I was going to get entry visas ... and I was almost ready to send the paperwork. Then the status on OCI changed to Received at DC. So I sent it for OCI instead. I am hoping and praying that my wait will be less than 5 working days, like many others who applied weeks after me. I am traveling soon. So a 1 week turnaround to peel the stickers and mail back my passport with OCI would give me great peace of mind and save me a bunch of unnecessary expenses. It will be exactly 3 months next Tuesday from the day I sent my OCI papers :(

One last step, embassy people ... please, please send my OCIs in the next 3 days. Thanks!

GS,
Thanks for adding the CWG angle to this twist:):):)..... Completely forgot about that......

Your situation is very tense, I am sure....... I am not sure if DC is within reach, without too much trouble.....

One thing you can try for sure is a phone marathon and see if you can someone on the line.....
Also send them your travel itinerary as attachment in an email request to see if they consider that....

Good luck.....

GS,

Thanks for asking. Nothing yet. My travels aren't till Dec so my situation is not as urgent as some of the other folks on this board. I tried calling. No one picks up. ALso tried emailing using the two different options (Contact us page and ociwashington...) No Reply :)

Nothing else to do except pray and wait. Oh yeah ... and gripe on this board :)

GS,
Thanks for adding the CWG angle to this twist:):):)..... Completely forgot about that......

Your situation is very tense, I am sure....... I am not sure if DC is within reach, without too much trouble.....

One thing you can try for sure is a phone marathon and see if you can someone on the line.....
Also send them your travel itinerary as attachment in an email request to see if they consider that....

Good luck.....

Thanks, gc4us!

DC is a 10-hour+ drive one-way. So I will have to take 2-3 days vacation, which I don't have.

I like the idea of sending travel itinerary, but they don't respond to emails. Phone marathon is worthless. I have tried it already. I will wait until mid-next week to see if I get anything.

We recently got our US passport so next step is SC/OCI. Could some one please a comprehensive provide the list of documents needed. The consulate website is very confusing. Also I changed my last name during naturalization. Do I put my old last or new last name in the Renunciation form?

I will be applying under family category including two children who currently have PIO cards.

Just checking did any one see any movement of work in DC consulate lately, After photo scan I don't see any progress in my case and also lately I don't see any post in this thread from any one describing their progress, what's going on ???

Do I put my old last or new last name in the Renunciation form?.

You have to use your indian passport name in the Renunciation form with all the details matching the passport. For OCI you use US passport details and if the name change is due to marriage send a notarized copy of your marriage certificate along your other documents.

Did you have an Id matching your new last name before applying for US passport? (This is my question to you)

Just checking did any one see any movement of work in DC consulate lately, After photo scan I don't see any progress in my case and also lately I don't see any post in this thread from any one describing their progress, what's going on ???

The tracking website is so eff up, it never works during EST timezone ... oh ya right it may work in IST timezone, cos people living in India only apply for OCI and they need to know the status more than people who live in USA -- frustration.

If we are best IT folks in the world than its a shame that Indian Government website is so eff up.

My wife's status still nothing after 1 week, they received the docs.

VM,
For my case, it is one of those "Project Downtime Phase" where there is not much activity and just hang in there...... (Hoping that you don't have to hang yourself with any weird changes in policy outcomes).....
As I am in that "Special Phase" (Submitted US PP for stamping) where it is now "Black Box", I have nothing to post.....

I tried the UPS Reference Trick posted by Linux... but it only shows the status of docs that were delivered for my wife and kid. It also showed one other person who happened to be lucky in my zipcode:):)..... These are all in Aug-2010, however.

Not sure if they are sending stuff back with FedEx these days.... time to find out the "Reference Tracking" mode in FedEx, I guess...

Sam,
That is frustrating:( ..... Sometime it makes you wonder if you entered the numbers incorrectly or if you really went to the correct link.....
I think the folks running the server that is hosting the status inquiry page are probably turning off the server when they go home (IST) or maybe limiting it to fewer connections/sessions in the IST night time so that they don't have to deal with any major overload crashes when they come back the next day.......

Why procure additional hardware/software to scale up performance or accomodate load..... Just make users NOT use the system.....

As always, good luck to all of us....

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently got our US passport so next step is SC/OCI. Could some one please a comprehensive provide the list of documents needed. The consulate website is very confusing. Also I changed my last name during naturalization. Do I put my old last or new last name in the Renunciation form?

I will be applying under family category including two children who currently have PIO cards.

Hi csch1wait,
Congratulations on the citizenship. One important milestone in our lives. Welcome to the next fun phase... OCI :)

For the OCI application, I am not conversant with the name change workflow and I am sure others will be able to guide you in this regard.... I will try my best to share my thoughts with the main application.... Feel free to review/question further.

Global references for all to review...
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...eas-Citizenship-of-India-and-Useful-NRI-Forms
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...and-other-info-to-help-prepare-an-OCI-package

The first step that I would suggest is to print the OCI instrucations from our beloved "DC Site" http://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php. Use a highlighter to mark out lines that point to additional documents (e.g. US PP copy, PP dates, Nat Cert, Birth Cert, SC et al)
There might be cases where you will have to prepare copies of your docs (Both parents) for each child. Don't be astonished by the number of sheets you will end up copying and attaching..

The next thing I would do is visit the Chicago site for OCI applications http://www.indianconsulate.com/4PassportPioOci/OCI/OCI_How_To_Apply.html. You will be surprised at their detailed instructions. But, this is only for your reference. Each branch has its own unique quirky steps..

One other reference that will be handy is a filled out sample OCI application the chicago site has provided for reference. http://www.indianconsulate.com/PDF_FORMS/ocifamilyapplicationsample.pdf. This is how the resulting OCI application will look like. Take a copy of this sample application.

Warning. Use the Chicago links for reference and understanding only..... The DC steps take priority over all other sites...

Once you do these, you will have a checklist of documents that you will need to have handy. In my case, I prepared an Excel document with sheets for each applicant to track the list of docs to be submitted.... and had different columns.

Now you can go to the first tech savy step of filling out the online application http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp (Imagine what our plight will be if we have to fill out this in pen)

When you reach the final page, it will say "Save", but will prompt the "Print Dialog"..... "Lost in Translation :confused::confused:- is the best reason, I could give myself..... If you happen to have "PDF" print option, pick that and save it as PDF. You can print pages from the PDF copy and is the same as what you would get if you printed it directly using the "Save" option.

NOTE: There is an option to "RePrint" the application from their site.... it does not print certain items when you use that option... and is not the same as what gets printed in the first attempt. Best to save as PDF and use it for your prints.

In my case, I ended up filling this online application 4 times and got it right the fifth time:):). Don't worry, the copy that you submit finally is the one that will get used for the OCI processing. You can safely ignore any erroneous versions.

Please follow the steps under "HOW TO ARRANGE THE APPLICATION(S)?" in the DC OCI site....

I am sure you will run into several other questions, hair-pulling phases during the preparation stage... feel free to post any queries at that time and someone here will be happy to share their ideas...

Some of us have used other sites for cross checking the steps.... http://immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/oci-documents.html.... Again for reference.... the downside is that there is information overload.... use your judgement and consolidate all the instructions mentally for better understanding

Thousands of applicants have done this and got their OCIs..... We will make it eventually..... Hang in there and Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes i saw my status updated this morning. From photo/signature scanned to Registration granted.

The tracking website is so eff up, it never works during EST timezone

-----Yeah, I see that. This week it's horrible till now as I am writing...

If we are best IT folks in the world than its a shame that Indian Government website is so eff up.

----They don't hire the young graduates, instead they train the exisiting aunty and uncles who acquired the gov post when they were in early 20's, that make them nervous to press any key different than they were asked to do

My wife's status still nothing after 1 week, they received the docs.

---US mission offices don't have to worry about CWG in Delhi, do they? What make these people so slow in US?

I am waiting for my status update as it is showing
Photo/Signature --- Scanned --- On June 18, 2010
Registration Status --- Granted --- On June 24, 2010
Documents Printing Status --- Printed
Documents Printed On --- June 28, 2006
Documents Despatched to concerned office --- June 30 2010
Documents Received At --- Washington --- June 30 2010

I send my passport on sept 3 through USPS as I was confused to sent original passport or not so delayed in sending it. it's been 3 weeks and i am not seeing any status update. it is still showing same thing as above. Pl. help what to do next.

I am waiting for my status update as it is showing
Photo/Signature --- Scanned --- On June 18, 2010
Registration Status --- Granted --- On June 24, 2010
Documents Printing Status --- Printed
Documents Printed On --- June 28, 2006
Documents Despatched to concerned office --- June 30 2010
Documents Received At --- Washington --- June 30 2010

I send my passport on sept 3 through USPS as I was confused to sent original passport or not so delayed in sending it. it's been 3 weeks and i am not seeing any status update. it is still showing same thing as above. Pl. help what to do next.

Honestly you waited too long to send your passports, now you will have to wait to get them back, as I suspect that they have kept your case files under other files and it would take them time to dig in and find your file, that too if they are motivated to do so... did you keep $20 in the passport? JK

---US mission offices don't have to worry about CWG in Delhi, do they? What make these people so slow in US?

CWG is a shame and its will be another shame if CWG in Delhi would anyways slow up any processing in Indian Embassy processes ... what are they performing any construction or what? Or trying to cleanup the mess they have made in Delhi?

People who lives in Delhi, their life has been made hell by these effers ...

I am just out of mood with the Government of India today ... bloody they have eaten up my $155 without taking "Dakar" (burp).

Missing cancelled Indian Passports and Surrender certificate

Here is my situation..Want to see if anyone has similar experience..
I sent my PPs for stamping on sept 9th and received OCIs back in mail (UPS) today 09/29. The UPS package only has stamped PPs and OCI cards but no cancelled indian passports nor surrender certificates for either me or my wife. As we all know it is not easy to get in touch with these Embassy idiots to resolve these kind of issues, I'm trying to see if anyone has this similar issue or want to seek advise from experts on this forum.

Thanks in Advance

Here is my situation..Want to see if anyone has similar experience..
I sent my PPs for stamping on sept 9th and received OCIs back in mail (UPS) today 09/29. The UPS package only has stamped PPs and OCI cards but no cancelled indian passports nor surrender certificates for either me or my wife. As we all know it is not easy to get in touch with these Embassy idiots to resolve these kind of issues, I'm trying to see if anyone has this similar issue or want to seek advise from experts on this forum.

Thanks in Advance

You will find many people here with your situation, I recommend you to send them email everyday and if you can spend time on calling them, just try calling them ....

The system is so effed up... its unbelievable ... they charge so much money for these things and have no respect for the documents or the person.