OCI - Washington DC Tracker

DC Consulate received my US PP on Sep 9th. Sadly I have yet to receive my OCI card, US PP and cancelled Indian PP even though it has been almost 2 weeks. Others like linux and Lobo who were processed at exactly the same time have got theirs back. The only thing I did different that I can think of was send the $20 mailing fee in the beginning (along with the application) whereas the others mailed it in when they sent their US PP.

Anyone have a number to the OCI cell that works?

Thanks.

Pau,
As the saying goes.... the last 10% of the task takes 90% of the time.... My PP reached their office this monday, Sep-20-2010 and with the current "Productivity numbers...", I think I am in for a long wait:(:(....

Not sure if they had this in their site before.... but I found this yesterday....

http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_contactus
It might be tied to another one of those filters in their mail server to send it directly to "You know which folder":):)

It is too early for me to even visit that link, let alone submit an inquiry for my case........

You can give that a shot...... They cannot complain for using some of their email bandwidth, definitely....

Good luck to all

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys. Things were going so good for a little while there, I guess I got my hopes up.

Hi all

just want to let u know my application was acknowledged today.

Question for seniors, What does this mean? Did I clear photo and other document hurdles?

8/23/10 - OnLine Registration
8/24/10 - Mailed Application
8/25/10 - Application Received by Embassy
9/23/10 - Application Acknowledged

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys. Things were going so good for a little while there, I guess I got my hopes up.

Yeah, I got my hopes up too ... I feel sorry for what they are putting us all through. Who can you complain to? They see no benefit (to them) by helping their customers. People like me that has to travel will now have to pay for Entry visas :mad:

To pauwalla:
Mine was received on 9th September, and still waiting. I also paid the mailing fee when applied for OCI. I contacted (e-mailed to: ociwashigton at indiagov.org) the Embassy (Consulate) last week and got a reply stating that it will take up to three weeks to complete the process to return the PP with OCI.
I have some phone numbers to try, but I am not sure they are useful:
202-939-9860 (OCI Inquiries)
202-939-9838 and 202-939-9832

Interesting to hear that they are responding to emails. Why would they ever do that? :confused:

Hi all

Question for seniors, What does this mean? Did I clear photo and other document hurdles?

Nope, you haven't cleared photo yet. Mine was 1 week or so later. Plus over 2 weeks for Granted/Printed/Dispatched. Almost 2 weeks right now since dispatch. No status update since.

I think I see a pattern in Green Ink signing. Most people have "Received at Washington" on a Wednesday. The signing ceremony seems to be every other Wednesday or every third Wednesday.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since the last signing ceremony. So we will see if my OCI gets signed tomorrow. (Hoping and praying that they will be signed tomorrow!!!)

Sadly, nothing happened today :( I think I am going to apply for Entry visas now.

Hi all

Nope, you haven't cleared photo yet. Mine was 1 week or so later. Plus over 2 weeks for Granted/Printed/Dispatched. Almost 2 weeks right now since dispatch. No status update since.

Forum_User,
I second GS12's summary.... If you need a more detailed progress chart....
[Nothing to be alarmed...... Like we all have realized... no point in banging our heads against any of their walls..... Might as well have some lighter moments...:):)]

After this "Acknowledgement" your status should then move to "Granted".
When it updates to "Granted" you should see the Granted Date.

Around this time, your photos/signature get scanned. The status will be in "Photo/Signature : Scanned" with a date for a couple of days.
If the "5-D, Next-GEN, Nano-Tech, Image Processing Module" in DELHI feels happy about the quality of the picture, the status will then get promoted to "Printed", again, with its date.

At this stage, you OCI is all set to be mailed/dispatched to the "Mission/Office". As soon as it gets dispatched, the status will show that date.

The OCI docs begin their "Trans Atlantic" journey..... towards the shores of DC...

Based on recent experience (live visit) by linuxrox, it does not appear to be a case of WHEN the Docs physically "Reach" DC. It is only when the "All Powerful Green Ink" gets to IMPRINT its autograph on the sticker that the status gets promoted to "Docs reached Mission office".

As soon as this status is seen, one should send the US PPs (PIOs, if applicable), status page et al. Latest carrier preferred by consulate appears to be FedEx....

When the DC office "Gets a chance" they will affix the OCI sticker in the US PPs, pick OCI booklets and (Hopefully) pack them in correct envelopes and mail it back....

As advertised, most of the workflow status is "Classified".... in the sense that they cannot be queried, bothered with emails, phone calls or use any other modern communication mechanisms.....

For critical status changes.... (Granted, Scanned, Printed, Dispatched, Reached)... they allow us to use the Online Enquiry Page..... whenever it is fully working.... other than that, there is no "Push" technology to update the status from the consulate or DELHI... It is only "PULL" for some phases... and NONE for others...

The Wait Continues......

OCI Application not yet acknowledged

Folks,

It's now one month (and counting!) since I mailed my OCI packet. So far, I don't see the online acknowledgment. Forum_User_99 got his OCI stuff acknowledged. Makes me wonder what could possibly be preventing mine from showing up online. Do you think I give it more time?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry yet. The DC emabbssy's website clearly states that it takes 2 months for them to acknowledge an application. However, in real practice it is often faster. They seem to have slow periods with little OCI activity (probabaly busy with other tasks) followed by a week when they quickly move through the process. Your application got there in a slow time and would probably be acknowledged this week or the next.

Forum_User,
[Nothing to be alarmed...... Like we all have realized... no point in banging our heads against any of their walls..... Might as well have some lighter moments...:):)]

Around this time, your photos/signature get scanned. The status will be in "Photo/Signature : Scanned" with a date for a couple of days.
If the "5-D, Next-GEN, Nano-Tech, Image Processing Module" in DELHI feels happy about the quality of the picture, the status will then get promoted to "Printed", again, with its date.

At this stage, you OCI is all set to be mailed/dispatched to the "Mission/Office". As soon as it gets dispatched, the status will show that date.

The OCI docs begin their "Trans Atlantic" journey..... towards the shores of DC...

Based on recent experience (live visit) by linuxrox, it does not appear to be a case of WHEN the Docs physically "Reach" DC. It is only when the "All Powerful Green Ink" gets to IMPRINT its autograph on the sticker that the status gets promoted to "Docs reached Mission office".

As soon as this status is seen, one should send the US PPs (PIOs, if applicable), status page et al. Latest carrier preferred by consulate appears to be FedEx....

When the DC office "Gets a chance" they will affix the OCI sticker in the US PPs, pick OCI booklets and (Hopefully) pack them in correct envelopes and mail it back....

As advertised, most of the workflow status is "Classified".... in the sense that they cannot be queried, bothered with emails, phone calls or use any other modern communication mechanisms.....

For critical status changes.... (Granted, Scanned, Printed, Dispatched, Reached)... they allow us to use the Online Enquiry Page..... whenever it is fully working.... other than that, there is no "Push" technology to update the status from the consulate or DELHI... It is only "PULL" for some phases... and NONE for others...

The Wait Continues......

I love this writing and its so true ... I wish these people learn something and improve the process with more flexibility and transparency, also make the process customer friendly...

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate the help I am getting in this forum.

Forum_User,

The Wait Continues......

amv,

It looks like the processing does not follow FIFO rules. Someone sent 2 days after me and got acknowledged 2 weeks prior to me. As other say, don't worry about day-to-day progress.

Hope your application will gain traction soon.

Folks,

It's now one month (and counting!) since I mailed my OCI packet. So far, I don't see the online acknowledgment. Forum_User_99 got his OCI stuff acknowledged. Makes me wonder what could possibly be preventing mine from showing up online. Do you think I give it more time?

Thanks.

good news

Hello,
Finally UPS tried to deliver package today. They shipped it yesterday. I am going to pick up it tonight. Hope everyone who got at the same time (Received date Sep 8th) will get it this week.It took 20 days for me after they received my passports(they mentioned that in the main website).not sure how some people got it in two days.

though we get panic when we deal with Indian Embassy we will get everything slowly.

Hello,
Finally UPS tried to deliver package today. They shipped it yesterday. I am going to pick up it tonight. Hope everyone who got at the same time (Received date Sep 8th) will get it this week.It took 20 days for me after they received my passports(they mentioned that in the main website).not sure how some people got it in two days.

though we get panic when we deal with Indian Embassy we will get everything slowly.

Congrats! That's the end of process for you!

Just so you know, it's not about lack of speed; it's about unnecessary bureaucracy, inconsistency, and terrible customer service.

And NY Consulate says on their website that it will take 5 working days after they receive your passports. Why would it take DC 20 working days (that's basically one month)?

Hello,

You indeed a luckymam - you only needed 2 posts to on this board to receive your OCI ...JK
Congratulations.

Hello,

You are indeed a lucky man...... Congratulations on the completion of your journey... and thanks for sharing the status...

GS,
Even though NY mentions 5 days for this stage of the processing, it is not consistent. I personally know one friend who had to wait 17 days from the day his PPs reached NY:(

Here is one theory that I ran into when talking to a friend..... The NY (and probably DC) consulates have been slow in the past few weeks due to some of the logistics/planning/hospitality for a VIP team that is here for the UN meet.

In one way, it does not make sense as to why the consulate becomes busy when VIPs show up... but on the other hand, some of the big bosses from the consulate might want to pay a visit to these dignitaries while here (These Darshans are required to keep their goodwill:):) ) Remember.... Green Ink Pens are not that common and stay with the big boss and probably travels with them........
Also they might have to compete in getting one or more of these dignitaries to visit their local "Shrines".... good time for Photo-ops and in turn, appear in magazines.....

There might be other local "Events" that are planned around their visits.... those "Events" will need manpower and resources to be dedicated......

"OH My GOD... There are so many US PPs lying on top of our tables to be stamped (Peel of the Green INK Autographed stickers and affix them on the PP) and combine it with OCI booklet and send it to the mailing desk".......
"Well, let me take care of the VIP reception tasks first and then attend the PPs....
"

We are free to speculate:):) ...... nothing to do until we get the PPs back, right? :(:(

Nice weekend!!:):)

Acknowledgement

My application was acknowledged as of Sept 23rd. Finally some action after 5 weeks of waiting.
TIMELINE:
Online app: 08/12/2010
Mailed App: 08/13/2010
Recd by DC: 08/16/2010
Acknowledged: 09/23/2010 Stauts: Under Process.

You are indeed a lucky man...... Congratulations on the completion of your journey... and thanks for sharing the status...

GS,
Even though NY mentions 5 days for this stage of the processing, it is not consistent. I personally know one friend who had to wait 17 days from the day his PPs reached NY:(

Here is one theory that I ran into when talking to a friend..... The NY (and probably DC) consulates have been slow in the past few weeks due to some of the logistics/planning/hospitality for a VIP team that is here for the UN meet.

In one way, it does not make sense as to why the consulate becomes busy when VIPs show up... but on the other hand, some of the big bosses from the consulate might want to pay a visit to these dignitaries while here (These Darshans are required to keep their goodwill:):) ) Remember.... Green Ink Pens are not that common and stay with the big boss and probably travels with them........
Also they might have to compete in getting one or more of these dignitaries to visit their local "Shrines".... good time for Photo-ops and in turn, appear in magazines.....

There might be other local "Events" that are planned around their visits.... those "Events" will need manpower and resources to be dedicated......

"OH My GOD... There are so many US PPs lying on top of our tables to be stamped (Peel of the Green INK Autographed stickers and affix them on the PP) and combine it with OCI booklet and send it to the mailing desk".......
"Well, let me take care of the VIP reception tasks first and then attend the PPs....
"

We are free to speculate:):) ...... nothing to do until we get the PPs back, right? :(:(

Nice weekend!!:):)

You might be on to something here, gc4us! While we are speculating ... I think the the doomed CWG are causing delays on the Indian side too.

So I was going to get entry visas ... and I was almost ready to send the paperwork. Then the status on OCI changed to Received at DC. So I sent it for OCI instead. I am hoping and praying that my wait will be less than 5 working days, like many others who applied weeks after me. I am traveling soon. So a 1 week turnaround to peel the stickers and mail back my passport with OCI would give me great peace of mind and save me a bunch of unnecessary expenses. It will be exactly 3 months next Tuesday from the day I sent my OCI papers :(

One last step, embassy people ... please, please send my OCIs in the next 3 days. Thanks!