OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Darn it! I missed the last "signing day" by 2 days. Why is there a need for signature from DC in the first place?

These guys are trying to retain some of the "Traditional Formalities/Routines" that were put in place decades ago in India.....

Notarized copies of Duplicates, Triplicates...
Gazetted officer signature...... a special privilege with "Green Ink"

If that person were to really, really read, double, triple check the document before signing in GREEN that is worth the wait..... as it might serve as an additional QA step... But, we can be 200% sure that is not the case.... It is just a mark of authority and to approve the document, for the umpteenth time, even at the last stage, before dispatching to the applicant....

A much more interesting take on this topic is at http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212132-OCI-New-York-Tracker&p=2211696#post2211696

Forum_User_99,
It is an unpredictable, inconsistent and illogical ride from the time you mail to the time everything that were supposed to reach us reaches back - after successful processing - that is.... not with rejections/denials.... Hope they speed up things..

Seems like it. I will keep checking the status twice a day. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the address if someone needs to visit the Embassy regarding OCI? Is it the Consular Wing or Chancery? I know you have to be there at 12:30 pm.

That was lucky Sam, got her passport cancelled without fee but did they give you SC along with it, I believe they need it now as a proof of cancellation or are you planning to send the old cancelled passport?

I read in some post they have written to Indian Authorities in Delhi and they are waiting for a formal authorization to refund the money. (somebody posted a response letter from Ny consulate in this forum).
I really feel sorry for you as your case is on the border line and you got caught in this mess. I felt terrible when my application was returned during that time and you showed the positive side of it and today I feel that. Hope these Indian bureaucrats work on these issues rather than Common Wealth Games.

There was nothing like SC when she got her Visa along with Cancelled passport. I read that now they only need a copy of the cancelled Indian passport, which I have included.

I sent my wife's docs yesterday, they should receive it today.

Common Wealth Games = Congress Wealth Games ... I read somewhere :) I thought it was a nice one ...

User_99,
I have a similar time line with 8/27 receipt date at DC. Still have not seen acknowledged but they do indicate 8 weeks to acknowledge but being watching this forum it is bumpy ride - some things go fast whereas other go slow. It did slow down a bit but hoepfully will pick up soon.
BG2k81
thanks bg2k81. i hope our apps go thro' soon.

VM,
Good luck with your remaining steps and keep us posted... that will be a great journey to get over with in your case...

One more "small" wait begins...

Good luck to all of us...

You excited me till I read the last couple of lines of your post, you aren't leaving this forum yet, r u ?

Yeah I looking forward for my next steps in processing but after ack there is no progress, looks like they still want me to ride with them.

What's the address if someone needs to visit the Embassy regarding OCI? Is it the Consular Wing or Chancery? I know you have to be there at 12:30 pm.

For all things related to OCI, PIO you have to visit the "Consular Wing". It is located at 2536 Massachusetts Ave NW,
Washington DC 20008.

Good luck

HI guys,
I posted my docs on august 13 and were received at DC on August 16. I have yet to see an acknowledgment. Its been about 5 weeks. should i be worried? I do have a 10 year visa for india on my current US passport. Can i travel to india in this situation? any info on this will be appreciated.

I just read in NY thread, the status of his application showed as "Passport canceled & SC issued" - Do we see such status in our DC site???

HI guys,
I I do have a 10 year visa for india on my current US passport. Can i travel to india in this situation?

I don't think any body can stop you from travelling on your existing visa, just take an additional care of carrying cancelled indian passport or copy of it or SC along with you, you never know the mood of immigration guy in India

I think I see a pattern in Green Ink signing. Most people have "Received at Washington" on a Wednesday. The signing ceremony seems to be every other Wednesday or every third Wednesday.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since the last signing ceremony. So we will see if my OCI gets signed tomorrow. (Hoping and praying that they will be signed tomorrow!!!)

I don't think any body can stop you from travelling on your existing visa, just take an additional care of carrying cancelled indian passport or copy of it or SC along with you, you never know the mood of immigration guy in India

Thank You!

DC Consulate received my US PP on Sep 9th. Sadly I have yet to receive my OCI card, US PP and cancelled Indian PP even though it has been almost 2 weeks. Others like linux and Lobo who were processed at exactly the same time have got theirs back. The only thing I did different that I can think of was send the $20 mailing fee in the beginning (along with the application) whereas the others mailed it in when they sent their US PP.

Anyone have a number to the OCI cell that works?

Thanks.

OCI contact

pauwalla ,
I am in the same boat. waiting for my passports for the last two weeks.
If you have any update please post it
Dispatched------August 19th
Douments received at Washington Sept 8th
US Passports delivered by USPS at Washington DC Sept 3
still waiting to receive my passports back

No idea how to contact them..

thanks

To pauwalla:
Mine was received on 9th September, and still waiting. I also paid the mailing fee when applied for OCI. I contacted (e-mailed to: ociwashigton at indiagov.org) the Embassy (Consulate) last week and got a reply stating that it will take up to three weeks to complete the process to return the PP with OCI.
I have some phone numbers to try, but I am not sure they are useful:
202-939-9860 (OCI Inquiries)
202-939-9838 and 202-939-9832

DC Consulate received my US PP on Sep 9th. Sadly I have yet to receive my OCI card, US PP and cancelled Indian PP even though it has been almost 2 weeks. Others like linux and Lobo who were processed at exactly the same time have got theirs back. The only thing I did different that I can think of was send the $20 mailing fee in the beginning (along with the application) whereas the others mailed it in when they sent their US PP.

Anyone have a number to the OCI cell that works?

Thanks.

I hope you recieve it soon, Pau. My $ 20 cashier's cheque was returned by the embassy. They might have used my wife's fee to send both packages as there were 2 packages but they were under one tracking number.