OCI - Washington DC Tracker

The Embassy OCI processing is really the pits ... I also got caught in the PIO fees increase for OCI for my kids.

Just talked to someone at the embassy who mentioned that they're running so behind that they'll take 12 weeks to acknowledge application --> he said to mail the fee increase and write the application # so that they can connect the original application with the fees.

My app was delivered on Sept 17 and no updates till now. Haven't seen a more messier situation then this!!

That's really scary. I don't know why the hell they have increased the fees for PIO holders (kids) that much. We wouldn't have gotten PIO cards if we had known this before.

That's really scary. I don't know why the hell they have increased the fees for PIO holders (kids) that much. We wouldn't have gotten PIO cards if we had known this before.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the application returned (hopefully with the $600 fees) and will forgot the OCI, I've 15 year PIOs for the kids and can easily get visa in a day-or-two so why bother. Maybe in the future when the PIo expires one can try again.

When did the fee increase become effective? I applied for me and my son who has a PIO back in August, and the applications were acknowledged only on 10/2. I paid only $25 for my son which was the fee at the time..do I have to pay the difference now?

Apparently the new fee change came into effect on September 14th, 2009. I think you should be fine.
But you never know with Indian embassy.. Please call them to find out!

When did the fee increase become effective? I applied for me and my son who has a PIO back in August, and the applications were acknowledged only on 10/2. I paid only $25 for my son which was the fee at the time..do I have to pay the difference now?

There is no specific mention of the date of increase --> I mailed my stuff on Sept 16th and that day the website showed $25 but now it shows $145... I talked to the person who processes OCI at the Embassy and he wanted me to mail the additional money.

This was very great Response from Washington DC Embassy.
Now awaiting my passport.

OCI App sent: 1 Aug 2009
Recieved by Embassy : 5 Aug 2009
Registration Status Granted On 23-SEP-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-AUG-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 24-SEP-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 25-SEP-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 01-OCT-2009
Passport Sent to Embassy On 01-OCT-2009
Passport Recieved by Embassy On 05-OCT-2009
Passport & OCI Returned - ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are in the home stretch, a friend of mine got his passport and OCI in 10 days after mailing. Looks like for the Washington Embassy you're tracking dates will be considered the norm - 12 weeks.... do you recollect when did you get the acknowledgment?

This was very great Response from Washington DC Embassy.
Now awaiting my passport.

OCI App sent: 1 Aug 2009
Recieved by Embassy : 5 Aug 2009
Registration Status Granted On 23-SEP-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-AUG-2009
Documents Printed On 24-SEP-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 25-SEP-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 01-OCT-2009
Passport Sent to Embassy On 01-OCT-2009
Passport Recieved by Embassy On 05-OCT-2009
Passport & OCI Returned - ???

Looks like you are in the home stretch, a friend of mine got his passport and OCI in 10 days after mailing. Looks like for the Washington Embassy you're tracking dates will be considered the norm - 12 weeks.... do you recollect when did you get the acknowledgment?

My friend got his passport and OCI in 10 days after mailing too.

I mailed my passports to the embassy on Oct 1st (overnight) and found out that the embassy was closed on Oct 2nd (Gandhi's birthday - holiday). I got status from FedEx that they delivered successfully on Monday Oct 5th. I hope they will send me my passports back safely with OCI card via USPS Express mail (already paid for return postage fees). I will let you know when I receive them.

Adding my details

Sent in OCI applications for self, wife and infant son to Indian Embassy in DC on Oct 6 which were received by the embassy today

Just when I had given up all the hopes on my application, the status changed today to under process, with 10/2 acknowledgement date. This is very wierd. Now I have to call USPS and make sure the money order is not cancelled!!

The status changed today to Scanned.

I have decided not to send the additional fee for my PIO son, and will wait for them to ask me if they need me to pay that extra money.

Since they have scanned the app, it's most probably safe to assume that they are accepting the fees submitted.

Just a quick question, to check status do you enter it in the Online Registration box on the http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp? link??

I guess I've not seen any change for 3 weeks since submitting app but your experience suggests that 50 days is the new benchmark for our favorite embassy -- sad that some of the consulates are able to finish the whole process in the time it takes DC to acknowledge!!

QUOTE=09citizen;2110235]The status changed today to Scanned.

I have decided not to send the additional fee for my PIO son, and will wait for them to ask me if they need me to pay that extra money.[/QUOTE]

Since they have scanned the app, it's most probably safe to assume that they are accepting the fees submitted.

Just a quick question, to check status do you enter it in the Online Registration box on the http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp? link??

I guess I've not seen any change for 3 weeks since submitting app but your experience suggests that 50 days is the new benchmark for our favorite embassy -- sad that some of the consulates are able to finish the whole process in the time it takes DC to acknowledge!!

QUOTE=09citizen;2110235]The status changed today to Scanned.

I have decided not to send the additional fee for my PIO son, and will wait for them to ask me if they need me to pay that extra money.
[/QUOTE]

Keep checking. It will take a long time. probably 2-3 more weeks. :) you are not alone. Many people are waiting for it.

How long to wait??

I got my daughter's documents from Delhi..

If I send the passport for OCI sticker.. how long I have to wait??? week? month? etc..

Thanks for the input

ocimee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk72
Wanted to post my timelines:

1) OCI applied for self, spouse and one kid who is PIO. on July 20th.
2) Application delivered on 21st July.
3) Received the entire application back on Aug 04.

The return reason is incorrect fees. I had sent in a MO for USD 575. (which is 275x2 + 25 for the PIO applicant). Wondering whats missing. I'm going to send a note explaining the fees enclosed along with additional MO of USD 20 to make them happy. I'm just mad at loosing 2 weeks in an already slow process. Just for the kick of it I'm actually planning to send the entire docket to SFO office since they have a faster processing. At the most they will also send the entire packet back

More updates:-

4) Sent application package back with an explation and additional $20 on Aug 05.
5) Application received by Embassy @ DC by Aug 06.
6) Acknowledgement received online on Aug 13th for self and spouse but not for the kid (PIO).

Final Updates:-

For Self and Spouse:-

Date Of Acknowledgment 13-AUG-2009
Registration Status Granted On 19-SEP-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-SEP-2009
Documents Printing On 22-SEP-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 23-SEP-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 1-OCT-2009

For my kid :-

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-SEP-2009
Registration Status Granted On 19-SEP-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 18-SEP-2009
Documents Printing On 22-SEP-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 23-SEP-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

---------------------------------------------------------------------
All Passports and PIO sent: 10/05/09
Documents Received at Embassy : 10/06/09
Passports/OCI/PIO received back on : 10/13/09 (left on front porch by UPS ;).
---------------------------------------------------------------

So from date of ack. to final delivery it took two months but took three months overall as initially expected.

Couple of points for other/future applicants:-

1) Kid's application was not seperately acknowledge but it was all processed together. In fact till date his doc. received status shows "NOT YET". So dont fret if this happens to you.

2) There has been few changes on the application process since I applied. Please keep yourself updated during the process. Notable changes now are -
a) Indian passport is now required during application time. I sent mines later for cancellation as it wasnt required to be sent earlier.
b) $20 fees for return charges is required upfront. I hadnt sent with my intial submission and my whole package was sent back.
c) PIO applicants fees has been bumped up.

3) Have patience. I have lived in the Northern Virginia area for 10 years and have been to the Embassy multiple times for all kinds of stuff. The staff no. seems like has remained constant but this area has seen Indian immigrant population baloon multifold over last 10 years. The staff has been nice and helpfulon all occasions. Its the general behaviour of the desi crowd that amuses me on each visit. The staff must be piled with high no. of passport/PIO/OCI/misc. cases and I have no reason to doubt that they are sitting still on any particular case. In fact for me personally this was gazillion times less painful than getting the US green card and yes xyz who applied on the same day as me had his 485 approved almost a year before me so dont want to compare the processing times . Infact no foreign enmbassy gives a "guarantee" on processing of a visa or residency so give your own embassy a break! Just keep your paperwork tight and give it time.

Quote:

a) Indian passport is now required during application time. I sent mines later for cancellation as it wasnt required to be sent earlier.
b) $20 fees for return charges is required upfront. I hadnt sent with my intial submission and my whole package was sent back.
c) PIO applicants fees has been bumped up.

It looks like there is no consistency here. I applied after you did, and did not include the $20 return charges. Application was accepted.

My status changed to Granted today, but my son's status is still 'under process'. I am starting to think that this could be due to the PIO fee difference.

Finally!!
As of today (Sept 22, 2009 around 9.40 pm EST):

Registration Status: Granted :) :) :)
Documents Despatached from Delhi On: Sept 22, 2009
Documents Received at: WASHINGTON NOT YET

Just wanted to let you know that I got my passports back with OCI booklet. :)

Updated: As of today - Oct 15, 2009:
Documents Received at: WASHINGTON Oct 1, 2009
Send my passports via FEDex (US passport and Indian passport with cover letter and print out from OCI status internet): Oct 2, 2009
Indian embassy received my passports: Oct 5, 2009 since embassy was closed on Oct 2 (M. Gandhi's birthday) and weekends
Received my passports and OCI booklet via USPS Express Mail: Oct 14, 2009

They stamped my Indian passport with "Cancelled -- Acquired US Citizenship Dated ____".
They stamped my US passport with 'U' visa.

Good luck to you on your applying to OCI, but if you have any questions, just ask me here.

OCI Stamping Delay

Great going USGC485!
I had sent my daughter's and my passport to DC embassy on Sep 22nd for OCI stamping via FedEx. I have attached a pre-paid FedEx return envelope as well. Till date I have not received the passports after stamping. I am afraid if mine is lost at the embassy. My return tracking # does not show that it had been mailed back. Anyone had experienced this kind of delay (3 weeks just for U-Sticker stamping)? See my timeline below.

-------------------
Date Of Acknowledgment 19-JUN-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 25-AUG-2009
Registration Status Granted On 27-AUG-2009
Documents Printing On 28-AUG-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 31-AUG-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 17-SEP-2009
PASSPORT sent to DC for OCI sticker - 21-SEP-2209
PASSPORT Delivered at DC - 22-SEP-2209
PASSPORT Received with U - Sticker - ???