OCI - Washington DC Tracker

The counter-lady confirmed today that 3 months is their standard for OCI processing.

So after submitting the OCI package, we need to wait for @ 3 months when status changes to 'Documents Received at DC' then mail the official docs including US Passport for the U-Visa sticker, and the Indian passport and PIO to be canceled.

Thanks, Rjain2. 3 months seems like 3 years.

Hi USGC485:

The confusion about the submission is warranted -- I went to the Embassy today, the receptionist said that we need to submit all originals - Indian and US passports and PIO only once the OCI has been granted.

She also said that they cancel the Indian passport only when you apply for any consular services, e.g. Visa, OCI or PIO. Otherwise there's a renunciation form that one can submit.

By the way, you said that receptionist said that we need to submit all originals once the OCI has been granted. What does submit mean? mail or hand-deliver? Did you ask if they allow us to deliver passports in person (after the OCI documents are received at Indian Embassy from Delhi), instead of mailing passports?

Last edited by a moderator:
For OCI she said that everything is handled by mail. I've read in this forum that earlier some people got the sticker while waiting but looks like that some exception was made.

By the way, you said that receptionist said that we need to submit all originals once the OCI has been granted. What does submit mean? mail or hand-deliver? Did you ask if they allow us to deliver passports in person (after the OCI documents are received at Indian Embassy from Delhi), instead of mailing passports?

OCI Update

05/28/09 :Application Package Shipped
06/01/09 :Application revd (UPS Tracking)
06/12/09 :Date Of Acknowledgment
08/28/09 :photo/Signature Scanned
Registration Status UnderProcess

It has been 3 months as of 12th of this month. Repeated emails to embassy has failed.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Has your status changed on the OCI status tracker website, or does it still say 'Not acknowledged'?

09citizen,
I misplaced my reference numbers. Thats my primary problem.. With the number i remembered, i have been trying to check the status. Not ack. yet. I;m going to the bank today to check if they encashed the cashier's check. Hopefully that will give some clue that they have opened the appilication and scanned it.

I'm sick n tired of the E/M at DC. I have applied for visa since my wife n kids are travelling in Nov.

Hi USGC485:

The confusion about the submission is warranted -- I went to the Embassy today, the receptionist said that we need to submit all originals - Indian and US passports and PIO only once the OCI has been granted.

She also said that they cancel the Indian passport only when you apply for any consular services, e.g. Visa, OCI or PIO. Otherwise there's a renunciation form that one can submit.

I was asked to submit the original indian passport. So i went in person from NC to drop it off in DC. I got an email from the OCI section requesting originals.

You are right -- on the OCI page of the Embassy they clearly say that Please send the original Indian Passport with the application; so the counter lady I talked to was misinformed. Glad to see that they email the applicant about omissions.

I mailed my application yesterday and it was received today at the mail room per FedEx tracking... so we'll see how the process goes.

I was asked to submit the original indian passport. So i went in person from NC to drop it off in DC. I got an email from the OCI section requesting originals.

applying for visa while awaiting OCI

Does anyone know whether I can apply for visa while awaiting my OCI application? It appears that the first time you apply for visa, they need your indian passport in original but I sent it to the embassy with my OCI application.

It seems like the OCI cell is full of shy, introverts who don't like meeting people or dealing with them face-to-face or responding to emails. I wasted 30-40 minutes waiting to meet someone from the OCI cell and no one ventured out to clarify the questions that I had, even after the counter lady twice tried to get someone from the cell to meet me.

The lady told me very clearly that the OCI process is only handled through mail so any submission and dispatches are by mail. Thus, hand carrying the US passports after OCI docs are received may work in some extenuating circumstances but don't bank on it..Apparently her advice of not sending Indian passport at initial application mailing was wrong.

The lesson I'm learning is that target 4 months for the processing -- it seems that they follow up with the applicant in case something is missing, so just go with the flow... we're stuck with the inefficiencies of sarkari-raj at DC; we faced similar vagaries at USCIS processes and lived through it!

You can apply for Visa whilst OCI app is pending.... May have to attach a copy of Indian Passport and mention that the original is with the Embassy for OCI processing..

TRAVISA services should be able to guide you better as others may have faced similar situation. Please advise what you find out.

Does anyone know whether I can apply for visa while awaiting my OCI application? It appears that the first time you apply for visa, they need your indian passport in original but I sent it to the embassy with my OCI application.

It seems like the OCI cell is full of shy, introverts who don't like meeting people or dealing with them face-to-face or responding to emails. I wasted 30-40 minutes waiting to meet someone from the OCI cell and no one ventured out to clarify the questions that I had, even after the counter lady twice tried to get someone from the cell to meet me.

The lady told me very clearly that the OCI process is only handled through mail so any submission and dispatches are by mail. Thus, hand carrying the US passports after OCI docs are received may work in some extenuating circumstances but don't bank on it..Apparently her advice of not sending Indian passport at initial application mailing was wrong.

The lesson I'm learning is that target 4 months for the processing -- it seems that they follow up with the applicant in case something is missing, so just go with the flow... we're stuck with the inefficiencies of sarkari-raj at DC; we faced similar vagaries at USCIS processes and lived through it!

Thanks, Rjain2. Yeah, It seems to me that they don't have enough staff to work on OCI at the embassy, but consulates have enough staff members.

Indian Visa whilst OCI processing underway

Based on my earlier reply to foranand regarding getting visa whilst OCI is underway whilst Indian Passport is with the Embassy.

I called TRAVISA and they said that we can write a letter explaining that OCI processing is underway and that Indian Passport is with them. She mentioned that it takes 5-7 working days to get the visa but it can be done in 1-2 days if we come in person to drop and to pick up the visa. I've been to their offices once and found them to be super efficient -- they corrected the app, had photocopying machines, etc. and were overtly pleasant.

Thank you. This is really so frustrating...the USPS person who was supposed to find out the status and get back to me never did. I called them several times but nobody answered. I called the Embassy and left a message, but I know that is of no use. This is such a stupid policy as you stated, and I am not sure why USPS does that. My OCI online status still says the application is not acknowledged. What about your status?

The plot keeps getting thicker. The USPS person has officially given up. They cant confirm whether the package was delivered or not, as the Indian Embassy wouldnt give them that information. They cant update the USPS online status because its too late, and because they dont have any information...:confused:. All they could confirm was that the package is definitely not with them. They asked me to check for the money order status with the issuing post office, as that is the only way I can now find out whether the Indian Embassy ever received the package and if the money order was ever cashed.

So I went to the post office today, and showed them the counter foil. I thought they would just be able to go to some website and give me the status of the MO. But no, they made me fill a form, pay $5.40 and they are now going to mail that form to some other place where the scanned images of MOs are kept. It gets even more interesting here...they said if the MO was already cashed they can send me a copy with information about who cashed it and when, and if it is not then they will cancel the original MO and send me a replacement MO. I didnt want them to cancel the MO as what if the Embassy received the package but just taking its time to encash the MO? But that's their procedure, and at that point I had no energy left. If they end up cancelling the MO and send me a replacement one, I"ll just apply for a PIO. I can always upgrade it to OCI when required.

Lessons learned - Never use USPS, and never mail your package on a Friday.

The plot keeps getting thicker. The USPS person has officially given up. They cant confirm whether the package was delivered or not, as the Indian Embassy wouldnt give them that information. They cant update the USPS online status because its too late, and because they dont have any information...:confused:. All they could confirm was that the package is definitely not with them. They asked me to check for the money order status with the issuing post office, as that is the only way I can now find out whether the Indian Embassy ever received the package and if the money order was ever cashed.

So I went to the post office today, and showed them the counter foil. I thought they would just be able to go to some website and give me the status of the MO. But no, they made me fill a form, pay $5.40 and they are now going to mail that form to some other place where the scanned images of MOs are kept. It gets even more interesting here...they said if the MO was already cashed they can send me a copy with information about who cashed it and when, and if it is not then they will cancel the original MO and send me a replacement MO. I didnt want them to cancel the MO as what if the Embassy received the package but just taking its time to encash the MO? But that's their procedure, and at that point I had no energy left. If they end up cancelling the MO and send me a replacement one, I"ll just apply for a PIO. I can always upgrade it to OCI when required.

Did you try to go to the Indian embassy in person?

Yes you can . I have applied through Travisa and it has been professionally handled. They give you status of the application and processing online. Again once it reaches the embassy it gets to the black hole.

Since we had given the original indian ppt for the OCI application, i was asked by Travisa to submit aletter stating the same.

Will post my DC embassy experience in next post.

THis is bad..We both sent the appication on the same date. We both are the same boat since i lost the ref.no and cant track it even after submitting the indian ppt.

Hope you can find something about your application soon.

Wanted to post my timelines:

1) OCI applied for self, spouse and one kid who is PIO. on July 20th.
2) Application delivered on 21st July.
3) Received the entire application back on Aug 04.

The return reason is incorrect fees. I had sent in a MO for USD 575. (which is 275x2 + 25 for the PIO applicant). Wondering whats missing. I'm going to send a note explaining the fees enclosed along with additional MO of USD 20 to make them happy. I'm just mad at loosing 2 weeks in an already slow process. Just for the kick of it I'm actually planning to send the entire docket to SFO office since they have a faster processing. At the most they will also send the entire packet back.

More updates:-

4) Sent application package back with an explation and additional $20 on Aug 05.
5) Application received by Embassy @ DC by Aug 06.
6) Acknowledgement received online on Aug 13th for self and spouse but not for the kid (PIO).

Further Updates:-

For Self and Spouse:-

Date Of Acknowledgment 13-AUG-2009
Registration Status Granted On 19-SEP-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-SEP-2009
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

For my kid whose application wasnt even acknwledged all this while:-

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-SEP-2009

---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad that after the intial botch up in my case by embassy, the wheels are finally moving. I beleive the embassy has to acknowledge and scan the docs, rest of the process is done at Delhi and they are pretty efficient. I'll post my final updates later.

Further Updates:-

For Self and Spouse:-

Date Of Acknowledgment 13-AUG-2009

For my kid whose application wasnt even acknwledged all this while:-

Date Of Acknowledgment 17-SEP-2009

---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad that after the intial botch up in my case by embassy, the wheels are finally moving. I beleive the embassy has to acknowledge and scan the docs, rest of the process is done at Delhi and they are pretty efficient. I'll post my final updates later.

When did your child's acknowldgement first show up on the website?