OCI - Washington DC Tracker

An update on our case - After going in circles with USPS, I finally got hold of the post office in DC that is responsible for delivering mail to the Indian Embassy. They told me some interesting information about how the delivery process works. I mailed the package on 8/14 which was a Friday, and the online status says that they left a notice on 8/15, a Saturday. The person who talked to me told me that the carrier doesn't actually leave a notice as they know that Indian Embassy doesn't work on Saturdays and just scan in their systems (for tracking purposes) with a notice left status. They then deliver the package on the following Monday. They are supposed to update the status as delivered when it is done, but in my case since the status never changed she wasnt able to confirm whether the package actually got delivered on 8/17. She is going to have the carrier verify with the Indian consulate tomorrow and give me a call to let me know the status.

Assuming it did get delivered on 8/17, today is the 15th working day. OCI online inquiry still doesn't have any details of the application. Their website says the details should appear after 15 working days. From your experience when does the case status realistically start appearing in their systems?

TIA

'09citizen' - This is unbelievable. Your story and dates are very close to mine. I mailed my app on 8/20 and USPS (of course) delivered it on Sat (8/22). They posted the stupid notice online that they left a notice. I call the embassy and after dialing like a million times, I could get hold of a human who says 'Don't worry! They are used to USPS doing this. They will not fill out the redelivery notice and USPS by default will come and redeliver". I get hold of the PO in DC and the supervisor assures me that he will get to the bottom of this. He could not find my application in the PO so they assumed that it was redelivered on 8/24 of 8/25. However, he could not confirm for SURE since the mailman who redelivered this, went on vacation and won't return until after labor day. They sent another mailman to the embassy but the embassy people would not confirm or deny. This went on for a few days and after labor day weekend (on 9/9), I finally get a confirmation from them that it was delivered. Interestingly the online system shows the signer as 'Indian Embassy' and no particular name is given. So I am assuming that my document was delivered between 8/24 - 9/9. Of course, no one from the embassy (emails only so far) would respond to my question about status. The OCI tracker shows 'Application not acknowledged yet'. I called the bank and the bank says that the cashier's check has not been cashed yet.

'09citizen' - This is unbelievable. Your story and dates are very close to mine. I mailed my app on 8/20 and USPS (of course) delivered it on Sat (8/22). They posted the stupid notice online that they left a notice. I call the embassy and after dialing like a million times, I could get hold of a human who says 'Don't worry! They are used to USPS doing this. They will not fill out the redelivery notice and USPS by default will come and redeliver". I get hold of the PO in DC and the supervisor assures me that he will get to the bottom of this. He could not find my application in the PO so they assumed that it was redelivered on 8/24 of 8/25. However, he could not confirm for SURE since the mailman who redelivered this, went on vacation and won't return until after labor day. They sent another mailman to the embassy but the embassy people would not confirm or deny. This went on for a few days and after labor day weekend (on 9/9), I finally get a confirmation from them that it was delivered. Interestingly the online system shows the signer as 'Indian Embassy' and no particular name is given. So I am assuming that my document was delivered between 8/24 - 9/9. Of course, no one from the embassy (emails only so far) would respond to my question about status. The OCI tracker shows 'Application not acknowledged yet'. I called the bank and the bank says that the cashier's check has not been cashed yet.

Of course, I am NEVER using USPS. This is such a stupid policy that the addressee needs to call or request redelivery. USPS is in the business of delivery. They need to deliver the product. Period.

I call the embassy and after dialing like a million times, I could get hold of a human who says 'Don't worry! They are used to USPS doing this. They will not fill out the redelivery notice and USPS by default will come and redeliver".

Can you please tell me which number you called? i tried 202 939 9888/202 939 9860 nobody picks up .
tks

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. This is really so frustrating...the USPS person who was supposed to find out the status and get back to me never did. I called them several times but nobody answered. I called the Embassy and left a message, but I know that is of no use. This is such a stupid policy as you stated, and I am not sure why USPS does that. My OCI online status still says the application is not acknowledged. What about your status?

Am preparing for the OCI submission, I've a couple of quick clarfification (apologies if the answers are buried in the threads):

1. 2 adults and 2 minors applying, the online app printed 4 pages of Part A (one for each) and 1 for Part B.
2. Do we make 1 more copy for submission or 3?
3. I gather that I've to send my Indian passport w. my initial app.
4. Do we send the original PIO for the children with the initial app?
5. Photos 1 pasted on each section of A, and 1 extra. so if answer to #2 is 2 sets then we need 3 photos otherwise 5.
6. Is FedEx OK, saw some problems with USPS.

Am preparing for the OCI submission, I've a couple of quick clarfification (apologies if the answers are buried in the threads):

1. 2 adults and 2 minors applying, the online app printed 4 pages of Part A (one for each) and 1 for Part B.
2. Do we make 1 more copy for submission or 3?
3. I gather that I've to send my Indian passport w. my initial app.
4. Do we send the original PIO for the children with the initial app?
5. Photos 1 pasted on each section of A, and 1 extra. so if answer to #2 is 2 sets then we need 3 photos otherwise 5.
6. Is FedEx OK, saw some problems with USPS.

1. Yes correct
2. Yes, you should send the online app and 1 more copy together to Indian embassy..
3. Just send only copies of Indian passport and US passport
4. Just send copy of PIO, not original. you don't want PIO to get lost. After the approval (when documents are received at the Embassy), you can send the original passports and PIO to the Indian embassy.
5. Well, the instructions are not clear (very confused). For myself, I pasted 1 photo on online app. I pasted 1 photo on copy of online app. and paperclip extra photo on the app. they accepted my application as they put acknowledgment date.
6. Yes, use Fedex. In fact, I sent my application via Fedex. No problem. USPS is a nightmare according to the people in this forum.

First thanks for quick and clear response; want to double check on the Indian Passport -- they mention send the original Indian Passport w/ the app...did you send a copy with the initial application?

1. Yes correct
2. Yes, you should send the online app and 1 more copy together to Indian embassy..
3. Just send only copies of Indian passport and US passport
4. Just send copy of PIO, not original. you don't want PIO to get lost. After the approval (when documents are received at the Embassy), you can send the original passports and PIO to the Indian embassy.
5. Well, the instructions are not clear (very confused). For myself, I pasted 1 photo on online app. I pasted 1 photo on copy of online app. and paperclip extra photo on the app. they accepted my application as they put acknowledgment date.
6. Yes, use Fedex. In fact, I sent my application via Fedex. No problem. USPS is a nightmare according to the people in this forum.

All,

I am thinking whether to apply for OCI or take visa (entry or some other) and goto India and then apply for OCI. If we apply for OCI card here in US, do they take my passport too? How long do they keep it? Do they give it back soon or will it be sent along with the OCI card? What if someone needs to travel during this period?

Thanks.

All,

I am thinking whether to apply for OCI or take visa (entry or some other) and goto India and then apply for OCI. If we apply for OCI card here in US, do they take my passport too? How long do they keep it? Do they give it back soon or will it be sent along with the OCI card? What if someone needs to travel during this period?

Thanks.

Why not get a PIO? You will probably get it in less than two weeks, and when you convert it to OCI it's only an extra $25. Looking back, I am starting to think I should have really done that.

Why not get a PIO? You will probably get it in less than two weeks, and when you convert it to OCI it's only an extra $25. Looking back, I am starting to think I should have really done that.

That's a good Idea. I will look into it.

So we need to give our US passport to the indian embassy and wait for it to be received along with the OCI/PIO?

First thanks for quick and clear response; want to double check on the Indian Passport -- they mention send the original Indian Passport w/ the app...did you send a copy with the initial application?

Wow, they changed the instructions. I have my own instructions that I printed out. It said to send a copy of Indian passport, not original. So I did send a copy of my Indian passport, not original.

I guess you can send the original Indian passport as the new instructions said so.

Hi USGC485:

The confusion about the submission is warranted -- I went to the Embassy today, the receptionist said that we need to submit all originals - Indian and US passports and PIO only once the OCI has been granted.

She also said that they cancel the Indian passport only when you apply for any consular services, e.g. Visa, OCI or PIO. Otherwise there's a renunciation form that one can submit.

Hi CPzinga,

The US passport is only submitted when the OCI is ready. Till then, if you need to travel, visa is the best route as the visa processing is very fast and the fees for PIO are pretty steep.

• With PIO and OCI route you'll spend $365 + $25 = $390.
  • With visa ($73 if needed) + OCI (you can getaway with $275 -- $346.

The only advantage for the PIO route is for minors where the app fees is $180.

That's a good Idea. I will look into it.

So we need to give our US passport to the indian embassy and wait for it to be received along with the OCI/PIO?

Hi USGC485:

The confusion about the submission is warranted -- I went to the Embassy today, the receptionist said that we need to submit all originals - Indian and US passports and PIO only once the OCI has been granted.

She also said that they cancel the Indian passport only when you apply for any consular services, e.g. Visa, OCI or PIO. Otherwise there's a renunciation form that one can submit.

Thanks, Rajain2!

Unbelievable! All Govt websites (including OCI and online status website) need to be renovated so the confusion would be avoided.

Thanks RJain2. What is meant by "The US passport is only submitted when the OCI is ready."? Does it mean that when we apply for the OCI, we don't need to submit the US passport but we submit it only when our OCI process reaches certain stage? Thanks for clarification!

Hi CPzinga,

The US passport is only submitted when the OCI is ready. Till then, if you need to travel, visa is the best route as the visa processing is very fast and the fees for PIO are pretty steep.

• With PIO and OCI route you'll spend $365 + $25 = $390.
  • With visa ($73 if needed) + OCI (you can getaway with $275 -- $346.

The only advantage for the PIO route is for minors where the app fees is $180.

The counter-lady confirmed today that 3 months is their standard for OCI processing.

So after submitting the OCI package, we need to wait for @ 3 months when status changes to 'Documents Received at DC' then mail the official docs including US Passport for the U-Visa sticker, and the Indian passport and PIO to be canceled.

Thanks RJain2. What is meant by "The US passport is only submitted when the OCI is ready."? Does it mean that when we apply for the OCI, we don't need to submit the US passport but we submit it only when our OCI process reaches certain stage? Thanks for clarification!

Do not submit US passport to the Indian Embassy until the online status says "received OCI documents at Washington." (last stage, not first stage) so Indian embassy will stamp "U" visa on your US passport.

Look at the website: http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp (scroll down until you see the example of status online form where the field say "Documents Received at")