OCI - Washington DC Tracker

That's a very interesting thought USGC485.

What rule dictates the necessity to mail the app to a particular consulate?

The rule said if you live in DC/MD/VA, you must mail application to the embassy. so if you live within the area of the consulate, you must mail it to that particular consulate. But I don't see any rule that states if you work in the area of embassy, you must mail it to that embassy. That's what I am curious and that's why I posted my question: Is it possible to abandon the file at the embassy and file to the different consulate?

All, I just checked online and the status is still under process but it shows that photo/signature scanned today means Aug.28th,2009....but still don't know when the whole process will done ? I am leaving on sept. 27th to India...and so can't trust anymore to this Indian govt. I already spent another $500.00 and got regular tourist visa yesterday...alongwith spent this $1125.00 for this stupid OCI.
for Huston.Tx yes it is very fast my brother got his oci less than a month. if I would know that I would not stated that I will use his florida address and use it jurisdication of huston, because they ask only your passport copy not driving license....who knows who stays where ? I think we still need to approach Indian style specially for this Indian govt....and not too smart and true honest....for this Indian govt. because that Indian govt. still the same and not change why we would have to change for them after residing longtime in this country ...but we are still Indian.....need to be like same Indian for this Indian govt. because this Indian govt. never care for their citizens....nor care for their money who worked so hard and helping their indian govt. to improve economy ....indian govt. shouldn't have to give hard time as they are very honestly followingt their rules.....if I would not do that I thing I will get my oci faster and also save another 500.00 bucks extra I spent alsongwith 1125.00 I think I am stupid to believe this Indian govt. and their rule and be honest with them ......:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ZND - While I share your frustration, remember its not just Indian govt, its with any govt agencies. USCIS in a modernized country gave same type of trouble. DMV in many states have high headed and lazy people that will make indian consulates look like heaven. I like the way SF consulate put together the OCI website with all the information properly organized. I also sent list of recommendations to NY consular office including the one where they should ack the application as soon as they get delivered so people dont become anxious about their app.

Everyone who had bad or having bad experience with Indian consulates, should start writing email to highest authority in that consulate.

Yes, absulutely you are correct that sf consulate's website is very welll organized ...I already address this issue to almost everywhere through e-mail no one neither reply nor take any action. And now a days you are right everywhere it's going to be like Indian govt. and you have to fight yourself....but still Indian govt. experience is very bad than here in US where if you fight and have proper documentation atleast you will get response where this Indian....there is nothing...where to go and whom to contact ....they never pick up the phone nor even they provide any relavant contact info....it's sucks...!!! and giving the same impression still today.....what we have from the begining even after 10 years.....!!! and here in us before 10 years it was different to work through only by phone and it works and now a days you have to be in person or contact two to three times and then it gets done...so mean to work like an Indian style but still it works and you will get response....where for Indian govt....still the same ...don't know how to work with them with which style...??????:mad::mad::mad:

Status so far.....

Applied for my 2 sisters...here is the status so far.....

06/10/2009 - Application acknowledged
07/24/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
07/27/2009 - Registration status granted
07/27/2009 - Documents Printed
07/30/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi
08/18/2009 - Documents received at DC Embassy
08/19/2009 - Indian and US passports mailed
08/21/2009 - Indian and US passports received at DC Embassy
xx/xx/xxxx - OCI Registration card and US passport received (with Visa sticker)

I can't seem to get an answer from the embassy if they have posted the passport back to me. Anyone having the same issue? Does it take more than a week for the passport to be stamped and posted back?

06/20/2009 - Application acknowledged
08/26/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
08/28/2009 - Registration status granted
08/28/2009 - Documents Printed
xx/xx/xxxx - Documents dispatched from New Delhi
xx/xx/xxxx - Documents received at DC Embassy
xx/xx/xxxx - Indian and US passports mailed
xx/xx/xxxx - Indian and US passports received at DC Embassy
xx/xx/xxxx - OCI Registration card and US passport received (with Visa sticker)

Well,

here is my time line :

Application Mailed : May 11th,2009

Application Received at washington : May 13th,2009 @12.30 p.m.

Application acknowledge : June 13th,2009

Photo/Signature Scanned : Aug.28th,2009

Documents dispatched from Delhi : Not yet

Documents Received at washington : Not yet

OCI Visa/Sticker : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

All, I just checked online and the status is still under process but it shows that photo/signature scanned today means Aug.28th,2009....but still don't know when the whole process will done ? I am leaving on sept. 27th to India...and so can't trust anymore to this Indian govt. I already spent another $500.00 and got regular tourist visa yesterday...alongwith spent this $1125.00 for this stupid OCI.
for Huston.Tx yes it is very fast my brother got his oci less than a month. if I would know that I would not stated that I will use his florida address and use it jurisdication of huston, because they ask only your passport copy not driving license....who knows who stays where ? I think we still need to approach Indian style specially for this Indian govt....and not too smart and true honest....for this Indian govt. because that Indian govt. still the same and not change why we would have to change for them after residing longtime in this country ...but we are still Indian.....need to be like same Indian for this Indian govt. because this Indian govt. never care for their citizens....nor care for their money who worked so hard and helping their indian govt. to improve economy ....indian govt. shouldn't have to give hard time as they are very honestly followingt their rules.....if I would not do that I thing I will get my oci faster and also save another 500.00 bucks extra I spent alsongwith 1125.00 I think I am stupid to believe this Indian govt. and their rule and be honest with them ......:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You will be approved before you leave for India since you said that it shows that photo/signature scanned today. That's good. I hope you will get OCI approval in one week. When documents are received at Indian embassy in DC, perhaps you should go to Indian embassy to send your passports instead of mailing passports since you need to travel to India immediately. (just show your airline tickets and explain). :) Let me know, ZND.

Sure, I will

But it sucks more that I already spend another extra 500.00 bucks for tourist visa....and I have two small infants....and by myself can't drive 3 hrs to reach this stupid embassy.....as at this time I have no ride nor help ....it's another headache...!!! after spending lots of money ..... I lost my Indian trip exitement now for which I started working on since April......I think I would go to Europe and enjoy the vacation rather going to India and doin all this stuff.....because still have to face custom here and in bombay ......!!! the great indian customs....!!!!

Sure, I will

But it sucks more that I already spend another extra 500.00 bucks for tourist visa....and I have two small infants....and by myself can't drive 3 hrs to reach this stupid embassy.....as at this time I have no ride nor help ....it's another headache...!!! after spending lots of money ..... I lost my Indian trip exitement now for which I started working on since April......I think I would go to Europe and enjoy the vacation rather going to India and doin all this stuff.....because still have to face custom here and in bombay ......!!! the great indian customs....!!!!

LOL. My worst story that I can tell you is... My gf and I arrived at Mumbai int'l airport from Dulles via Frankfurt on my Indian passport few years ago and Indian immigration officer asked where India visa is when he looked at my Indian passport. I told him "I am Indian citizen and my passport is Indian passport. why do I need India visa? can't you see it?" He got angry and said to go back to the line. I was stuck for a hour. My gf managed to get out and told my relatives to wait for me. While I was stuck in the line (huge line), I went to the immigration airport manager instead and told about it. Manager apologized to me and went to the officer and slapped his head. I believe that officer is illiterate.

Yes, absulutely you are correct that sf consulate's website is very welll organized ...I already address this issue to almost everywhere through e-mail no one neither reply nor take any action. And now a days you are right everywhere it's going to be like Indian govt. and you have to fight yourself....but still Indian govt. experience is very bad than here in US where if you fight and have proper documentation atleast you will get response where this Indian....there is nothing...where to go and whom to contact ....they never pick up the phone nor even they provide any relavant contact info....it's sucks...!!! and giving the same impression still today.....what we have from the begining even after 10 years.....!!! and here in us before 10 years it was different to work through only by phone and it works and now a days you have to be in person or contact two to three times and then it gets done...so mean to work like an Indian style but still it works and you will get response....where for Indian govt....still the same ...don't know how to work with them with which style...??????:mad::mad::mad:
Yep. I understand. Using the links in NY CGI, I sent email to the head of consulate. I mentioned that there is lot of concern on internet forums about the delay. I got reply next day from the OCI head saying how they get tons of applications , most of them not with proper documentation etc and how it takes atleast 2 months from the date of ack to get OCI. I suggested them to update their website with explanation and properly timeline. I got reply again apologizing and saying they cant put information about internal processing online - yeah sure.

But for me, largely they are all same. USCIS troubles(ed) so many people without reply for years. It took me 4 years to get a properly filed GC. I tried everything under the sun to get them respond and move.

If Indian consular offices every read this message, they got to get better at informing customers (send them email when the application reaches consular office) and keep the realistic expectation of the processing timeline - publish the timelines by consulate in a central place. And outsource the damn customer service to some cheap company in India. Its better than not picking the phone at all.

Email from OCI section : Send passports.

Hi all,
I got an emal from ociwashington@indiagov.org stating.......
"Please quote your Online Reference Number. Please send Original Indian Passports for all the applicants."
Does this mean they have scanned the document/photos?

We have misplaced the reference numbers.

I dont want to send my passport without the reference numbers. I have tried calling/emailing them regarding the reference numbers. As usual no response.

Any suggestions how to proceed?
Thanks

Hi all,
I got an emal from ociwashington@indiagov.org stating.......
"Please quote your Online Reference Number. Please send Original Indian Passports for all the applicants."
Does this mean they have scanned the document/photos?

We have misplaced the reference numbers.

I dont want to send my passport without the reference numbers. I have tried calling/emailing them regarding the reference numbers. As usual no response.

Any suggestions how to proceed?
Thanks

Don't send passports until you see the online status that documents are received at the embassy.

Do you have copies of your applications where reference numbers are? If you don't have them or misplaced the numbers, you can try to go to Indian embassy and see what they can help you with. I know phoning/emailing them are useless. They won't pick up the phone or respond to your email most of the time. Only one way that I suggest you is to go to Indian embassy.

Don't send passports until you see the online status that documents are received at the embassy.

Do you have copies of your applications where reference numbers are? If you don't have them or misplaced the numbers, you can try to go to Indian embassy and see what they can help you with. I know phoning/emailing them are useless. They won't pick up the phone or respond to your email most of the time. Only one way that I suggest you is to go to Indian embassy.

Thanks USGC485..

But they are NOT asking for original U.S Passports . They are asking for Original Indian Passports. May be that they cant make out information from the Indian Passport copies the person sent along with application ?

I guess it depends on the person in-charge of oci at the respective consulate. Everyone I know who applied in Houston got the oci within a month. One of my friend got it within two weeks ... Houston rocks!! :))

I sympathize with the Washington and new york area people. They got the laziest processing of all ... but at the same time they do have high concentration of Indian diaspora there ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on the person in-charge of oci at the respective consulate. Everyone I know who applied in Houston got the oci within a month. One of my friend got it within two weeks ... Houston rocks!! :))

I sympathize with the Washington and new york area people. They got the laziest processing of all ... but at the same time they do have high concentration of Indian diaspora there ...

I agree with you about the high concentration of Indian diaspora in NY area and DC area. I wish they processed faster. San Fransisco rocks, too!!

But they are NOT asking for original U.S Passports . They are asking for Original Indian Passports. May be that they cant make out information from the Indian Passport copies the person sent along with application ?

I wasnt sure why they are asking for the Indian passport. May be you are right, they cant see the details of it. Since i dont have the reference number, it would be a better idea to drop the passport in person and ask them why they needed it.

Also i hope they can answer how long it will take for the process to complete..

Last edited by a moderator:
But they are NOT asking for original U.S Passports . They are asking for Original Indian Passports. May be that they cant make out information from the Indian Passport copies the person sent along with application ?[/QUOTE

I wasnt sure why they are asking for the Indian passport. May be you are right, they cant see the details of it. Since i dont have the reference number, it would be a better idea to drop the passport in person and ask them why they needed it.

Also i hope they can answer how long it will take for the to process..
Indian passport is pretty useless for you anyway. But be sure to keep a legible copy of all pages of your indian passport(s) before you hand them over. And ask them to give you receipt if you hand over the passports.

Indian passport is pretty useless for you anyway. But be sure to keep a legible copy of all pages of your indian passport(s) before you hand them over. And ask them to give you receipt if you hand over the passports.

But do they ask for US passports as well? For OCI, both Indian passport and US passport are needed because Indian officials (either at the consulate or embassy) need to stamp "Cancellation" mark on Indian passport and stamp "U" visa on US passport, right?

But do they ask for US passports as well? For OCI, both Indian passport and US passport are needed because Indian officials (either at the consulate or embassy) need to stamp "Cancellation" mark on Indian passport and stamp "U" visa on US passport, right?

They will ask for US Passport eventually to stamp the U visa in them. But for now, they seem to have asked for Indian Passports only from the guy who originally posted the question.