OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Do we need to carry our cancelled India passports with OCI and US passports when we travel to India?

Do we need to carry CANCELLED India passports w/ OCI

Date Of Acknowledgment 07-APR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 08-APR-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 08-APR-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 09-APR-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 12-APR-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

Do we need to carry CANCELLED India passports w/ OCI

Date Of Acknowledgment 07-APR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 08-APR-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 08-APR-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 09-APR-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 12-APR-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

No. Just the US passport with the U-visa sticker and the OCI booklet.

Gee24/whiteone, Did you guys got the PP back from the embassy? Any updates when we can expect to get them back?

tsb

Gee24/whiteone, Did you guys got the PP back from the embassy? Any updates when we can expect to get them back?

tsb

NOT YET SO FAR. (2 PM ON MONDAY).

WILL POST THE MOMENT I GET IT

Good luck to you and every one.

Gee24

Finally over. It looks like it has come in today, I have not seen it yet. The embassy chose to send it via USPS using my prepaid stamped envelope which I had sent along with my passports. I sent the USPS envelope even though I had included $20 in my orig. app fee.

$20 bonus for embassy, but I am glad it is over. Need to check the OCI after I get back home today.

tsb

Thanks Speedy , but are they going to stamp the old passport number for U VISA on the new PP , is it Valid.

Dude,
I am trying to wrap my feeble brain around the above statement.....but it is too deep and confusing.
Could you please re-state your question clearly? if possible with an example?(ie., some sample #s for your PP's etc)

It will be great if you can post your signature and keep us posted about any updates to your case.

Thanks,
Speedy

Mailed OCI applications and documents --- Feb 16, 2010
Delivered at Embassy of India, Washington DC --- Feb 19, 2010
Acknowledgement Date - Mar 17, 2010
Registration Status --- GRANTED on Mar 31, 2010
Photo/Signature - SCANNED on Mar 24, 2010
Documents Printing Status --- PRINTED on Mar 31, 2010
Documents Dispatched --- DISPATCHED on Apr 1, 2010
Documents Received At --- Washington --- Apr 7, 2010
PPs mailed to DC - Apr 8, 2010
PPs rcvd at DC - Apr 9, 2010
OCI & PPs rcvd from Embassy - Apr 13, 2010

I received my OCI and Passports back today. The whole process took less than 6 weeks from start to finish. It was a real positive experience with Indian Embassy for a change.

Thanks to everyone who helped me during this process. One advice to those mailing their passport to DC, please do not include a stamped envelope if you are sending a $20 money order. Without a stamped envelope they always use UPS and its much faster.

I hope this marks the end of my whole immigration saga that started way back in 1999.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting.

tsb

tsb:

I DID NOT RECEIVE SO FAR (5 PM ON 4/13/10).

Did you receive the PP with stamp?

gee24

01/23/10 : Mailed to Wash.
03/03/10: Acknowledged
03/10/10: Scanned
03/16/10: Granted
03/17/10: Printed
03/19/10: Dispatched from Delhi
03/23/10: Recd @ Wash.: Mailed US Passports to Wash
03/24/10: My Passports were sent to DC by over night delivery

xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd! ?? (NOT YET)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee24,
I have not received my PP with OCI stamp yet. It is holiday tomorrow 04/14/2010 for embassy. I can't fugure out the pattern. Some people are receiving in week and some are never. I tried calling and emailing them but no reply. It is very fustrating. The embassy people are slow. I will update when i get the PP with OCI stamp. I sent my PP on 03/22/2010 and the embassy received on 03/23/2010.

tsb

Gee24,
I have not received my PP with OCI stamp yet. It is holiday tomorrow 04/14/2010 for embassy. I can't fugure out the pattern. Some people are receiving in week and some are never. I tried calling and emailing them but no reply. It is very fustrating. The embassy people are slow. I will update when i get the PP with OCI stamp. I sent my PP on 03/22/2010 and the embassy received on 03/23/2010. It was signed by Anchula. It is the same person for you?

tsb

Thanks tsb for your feedback.
I did not verify who received mine.
I sent the docs by USPS Express mail.
I confirmed that my docs reached the very next day.

WE WILL GET IT SOON.
Like you said, there is no pattern.
I will provide the status update again tomorrow.

Good luck
gee24.

Gee24 / Tsb

I also have same timeline.

Ack.: Date 2/23
Documents recived at Washington: 3/23
US Passprt sent by overnight: 3/23
Received at Embassy: 3/24/ Signed by an embassy person

Still waiting, sent email to Emabassy but they are not bothered, instead they are sending back the US Passports which were sent on April 8th. Have to attend surgery in Mumbai for my mother on April 24th.

God bless Indian Embassy employees

It is very frustrating .. May be by next week will get replacement US passport and get visitor visa.

Gee24 / Tsb

I also have same timeline.

Ack.: Date 2/23
Documents recived at Washington: 3/23
US Passprt sent by overnight: 3/23
Received at Embassy: 3/24/ Signed by an embassy person.

Still waiting, sent email to Emabassy but they are not bothered, instead they are sending back the US Passports which were sent on April 8th. Have to attend surgery in Mumbai for my

GOOD LUCK TO YOU GIRISH:

YOU MAY CONSIDER VISITING THEIR OFFICE IN DC, PROBABLY BY MONDAY 4/19 (IF YOU DON'T RECIEVE BY THIS FRIDAY) AND CHECK WITH THEM PERSONALLY.
JUST MY THOUGHTS.

EVEN OTHERWISE TO GET YOUR 'REPLACEMENT PASS PORT/ VISA', YOU HAVE TO VISIT...

GEE24

Gee24,
I have not received my PP with OCI stamp yet. It is holiday tomorrow 04/14/2010 for embassy. I can't fugure out the pattern. Some people are receiving in week and some are never. I tried calling and emailing them but no reply. It is very fustrating. The embassy people are slow. I will update when i get the PP with OCI stamp. I sent my PP on 03/22/2010 and the embassy received on 03/23/2010. It was signed by Anchula. It is the same person for you?

tsb

My 2 cents:
I know it sounds crazy.....but...hey we are dealing with Indian Emabssy right?? So, may be the pattern is based on who receives it. Previously my OCI application were signed as recvd by "xyz". Perhaps the ones who got back their PP's in a week got recvd by him rather than "xyz" (One unkil/auntie could be proactive and the other not so active..:D)?? Perhaps, if you go into "xyz's bucket" you are saved vs "abc's bucket" you are sc@#$%d??? who knows....just trying to make sense of it all :)

Could the folks who got back their PP's in a week and those waiting to get their PP's post (update your signature) who at the embassy recvd
the PP's (if you happen to know...)?? If you don't know who signed it, may be you can call UPS/USPS and try to find out?? I know it is a futile exercise....but atleast you feel as if you are doing something to figure out what the heck is happening.
Cheers,
Speedy

My 2 cents:
I know it sounds crazy.....but...hey we are dealing with Indian Emabssy right?? So, may be the pattern is based on who receives it. Previously my OCI application were signed as recvd by "Praven". Perhaps the ones who got back their PP's in a week got recvd by him rather than "Anchula" (One guy could be proactive and the other not so active..:D)??

Could the folks who got back their PP's in a week and those waiting to get their PP's post (update your signature) who at the embassy recvd
the PP's (if you happen to know...)??

Cheers,
Speedy

WELL SAID SPEEDY.

I am NOT affected much because I have not schedule any travel in the near future.
But persons like Girish is affected.
There is no FIFO being followed by this EMBASSY GUYS...

Gee24

gee24/tsb/girish:
and to all of them who are waiting.. I have the same timeline (see my signature) but got the passports on April 12th.
just my 2 cents, the nuclear summit in DC is causing the delay? may be our embassy OCI staff are allocated for other work?. A big team from India including PM is here for the last 3 days..
I guess that coubd the reason?