OCI - San Francisco Center - Missing Information - Name Change Affidavit

jyadwadk

I began my OCI process with Indian counsulate few months ago. Had my forms (all family members) sent back to me 2 times - One for 'Remove Blank pages' and the next for missing name change affidavit.

After doing what was requested, when I sent the forms back to CGI, it was sent back again because the process got outsourced to Travisa. I had to wait until March 8th before Travisa could accept my forms.

After duely sending all the forms perfectly organized, I received an alert from Travisa that I need to send name change affidavit.

My middle initial was dropped after Naturalization - I have the same maiden name on all my documents - passport until naturalization except the middle initial on naturalization.

I completed the affidavit, took 2 witnesses to the notary and got the forms notarized and sent it to Travisa. This was based on the instructions they gave me over the phone.

I received another altert stating Name change document is missing. After speaking to the phone representative, I sent the copy of the afidavit again for reference(orignal was already with Travisa) stating the I have the sent the documents already.

I received 3rd altert stating missing Name Change document!! It is FRUSTRATING TO DEAL WITH TRAVISA. and EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING TO TALK TO THE PHONE REPRESENTATIVE. (40-50 mins wait time).

WHAT AM I MISSING? I AM NOT GETTING A COMPLETE ANSWER FROM TRAVISA AS TO WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO SEND.

ANY HELP??

Go to your local USCIS office, get the form G-24 also known as Certification of Documents. You can request the officer to write your full name including the middle name on the AKA line. See if that works.

Dealing with Travisa has been a frustrating experience. I called yesterday, waited for 55 mins, a representative spoke to me, acknowledged that what is given on their website as requirements is valid. He looked up my records, put me on hold 3-4 times, and then came back saying he needs time to research and will call me back. I did not get a call. I called Travisa again today, spoke to another representative again after 48 mins, she said no one updated my records after yesterday's phone call so there is no track of what was said!!! WHAT A SHEER WASTE OF TIME WHICH TRAVISA JUST DOES NOT REALIZE!

She said she will transfer me to SFO office (I had called the SFO number so not sure why it was routed to east coast office!!), I was on hold for another 15mins, and then I get a message that 'You have reached us during lunch hours'. And their lunch hour is between 12 to 2pm!!!

I found another friend of mine whose application is stuck at the same step, and she has been getting similar response from Travisa.

BEWARE WHEN YOU CALL TRAVISA - ASK FOR NAME OF THE REPRESENTATIVES, MAKE SURE THEY UPDATE YOUR RECORDS.
*****TRAVISA OCI OUTSOURCING PROCESS SEEMS TO BE FLAWED. THEY HAVE HIRED PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DONG *****

12.Name Change Documentation:
For former Indian nationals, if your name in your Indian passport is different in any way from the name in your United States passport, one of the following documents must be provided.
◦Marriage Certificate showing the name change if the name was changed at marriage.
◦Official court order for the name change
◦Notarized letter stating that the name was changed during the naturalization process. *** THIS IS WHAT I PROVIDED ***

Dealing with Travisa has been a frustrating experience. I called yesterday, waited for 55 mins, a representative spoke to me, acknowledged that what is given on their website as requirements is valid. He looked up my records, put me on hold 3-4 times, and then came back saying he needs time to research and will call me back. I did not get a call. I called Travisa again today, spoke to another representative again after 48 mins, she said no one updated my records after yesterday's phone call so there is no track of what was said!!! WHAT A SHEER WASTE OF TIME WHICH TRAVISA JUST DOES NOT REALIZE!

She said she will transfer me to SFO office (I had called the SFO number so not sure why it was routed to east coast office!!), I was on hold for another 15mins, and then I get a message that 'You have reached us during lunch hours'. And their lunch hour is between 12 to 2pm!!!

I found another friend of mine whose application is stuck at the same step, and she has been getting similar response from Travisa.

BEWARE WHEN YOU CALL TRAVISA - ASK FOR NAME OF THE REPRESENTATIVES, MAKE SURE THEY UPDATE YOUR RECORDS.
*****TRAVISA OCI OUTSOURCING PROCESS SEEMS TO BE FLAWED. THEY HAVE HIRED PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DONG *****

12.Name Change Documentation:
For former Indian nationals, if your name in your Indian passport is different in any way from the name in your United States passport, one of the following documents must be provided.
◦Marriage Certificate showing the name change if the name was changed at marriage.
◦Official court order for the name change
◦Notarized letter stating that the name was changed during the naturalization process. *** THIS IS WHAT I PROVIDED ***

I had the same problem. My name is AB on my birth certificate. Somehow Indian passport agency got AC as my name. When I tried getting it corrected, they said I've to fill out name change documents and get 2 ads in the newspaper. By the time I did that, the service got outsourced to Travisa. Travisa doesn't recognize the newspaper ads anymore. They MUST have a court document in their hand. Do what I told you to do, It worked for me. Just get the verified G-24 form from the USCIS office. Notarize it and that should be good enough. Make sure you request the officer to write your previous name in the AKA section. As it could have appeared on your green card before naturalization. Notarize the copy and send it to Travisa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem. My name is AB on my birth certificate. Somehow Indian passport agency got AC as my name. When I tried getting it corrected, they said I've to fill out name change documents and get 2 ads in the newspaper. By the time I did that, the service got outsourced to Travisa. Travisa doesn't recognize the newspaper ads anymore. They MUST have a court document in their hand. Do what I told you to do, It worked for me. Just get the verified G-24 form from the USCIS office. Notarize it and that should be good enough. Make sure you request the officer to write your previous name in the AKA section. As it could have appeared on your green card before naturalization. Notarize the copy and send it to Travisa.

Email me at fcuky70@yahoo.com if you'd like to see what the form looks like. I can send you a copy with my information erased. The email is not really my official email address, but I do check it often. I've the emails disabled on this immigration forum.
Good Luck!

What is the G-24 form, I looked for it and I couldn't find it. I am in the same situation for my mom, they are having issues with my moms middle name being different before marriage and then after marriage. I sent in marriage cert and it has been 3 weeks and they still haven't opened the mail. If the marriage cert doesn't work I will have to use the method you mentioned.

http://www.fpdnj.org/PDF/forms/IV-28 INS Form G-24.pdf
G-24 looks like that. Only difference is in the online version, they couldn't find the person in their system. If uscis has a record of your name, then they can provide you with a g-24, Certification of Documents, form. It practically says what your legal name has been in the US and if you ever had a different name you can request the IO to write it in the AKA section. That way Indian Govt can see that you're the same person. Hopefully for your mom the marriage certificate would be sufficient enough.

Any experience or suggestion will really help me.

1. I had applied for OCI last year and got my OCI card as well as a OCI stamp on my US passport.

2. For the name mismatch last year I had given a "Name change Affidavit" to consulate. Which they
accepted and gave me the OCI card. OCI was not outsourced then.

3. Now I have to change my daughters OCI card which has my incorrect name (mother name
column) . I am planning on using the MISC form. I am planning to send my copy of OCI card (
which reflects my correct name ) and copy of affidavit I sent to consulate.

4. Will the Travisaoutsourcing change my name in my daughters OCI?. Will they ask for more
documents on my name information. I am guessing since I already have my OCI card with
correct name my daughters OCI should not be a problem.

I am really worried ..Can anyone help..

If your name is incorrect, then they should be able to correct it using your OWN oci card. But if you changed your name, then it might cause a few hurdles.

Thank you for your reply.

When I had applied for my OCI there was a mismatch between indian passport and US passport for which I gave the consulate "Name change affidavit". I got my OCI card with corrected name without any issues.

But my daughters OCI still reflects my old mismatch name.

Do you think this will cause hurdles...

your reply is deeply appreciated. This worries me a lot.

If I were you, then I would just keep it shush. They usually don't pay much attention to parent's name. Just write your correct name on the new OCI form and make copies of the OCI card and hopefully it should work.

Thank you very much speakamericano...hopefully this should work....i heard when i get my daughters US pasport renewed after 5 yrs then I should apply for OCI stamp again....hopefully this prob will not come up then

Yes, you need to reapply for your daughter's OCI card again after 5 years or until she reaches the age of 20..Her OCI must be reissued everytime she gets a new passport. Just type the correct name in the application form and don't even bother mentioning the paperwork if they don't ask for the name change/discrepancy paperwork.

Sometimes they don't pay much attention to the parent's incorrect name. But they're super a**l about the applicant's name change/correction. Again, if I were you, I would keep it shush until they mention something. Why point it out if it could only cause hurdles in the OCI application... Let them do their job. They're getting their $12.00 for pointing out the errors. Half the time they're too lazy to do that.

Thank you for your reply.

When I had applied for my OCI there was a mismatch between indian passport and US passport for which I gave the consulate "Name change affidavit". I got my OCI card with corrected name without any issues.

But my daughters OCI still reflects my old mismatch name.

Do you think this will cause hurdles...

your reply is deeply appreciated. This worries me a lot.

No experience doing this, but please see here: http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIMisc.html

There seems to be a provision under Change of Personal particulars, which should let you do this without much issues.

Pasting the relevant part below:

A software module has been developed by NIC named as OCI Miscellaneous Services. The public interface for this has been hosted on MHA’s website: MHA OCI Page. The procedure to be followed by the applicant is as under:

(1) After accessing the OCI Miscellaneous Services and going through the Guidelines and Instructions for filing the application form, the applicant has to fill in at least one of the following data fields:

(i) U-Visa number
(ii) OCI Registration number
(iii) OCI File number

(2) Thereafter, the applicant has to fill in all the following fields:

(i) Current Passport number
(ii) Date of birth
(iii) Place of birth
(iv) Mother’s name

The applicant would be able to proceed ahead and seek the particular service(s) only if, the above data (except 2 (i) above) matches with the OCI database. This feature has been incorporated as a security measure so that the scheme is not misused.

(3) The applicant, thereafter has to select any one or many of the following services:

(i) Change of Passport particulars
(ii) Change of Personal particulars
(iii) Loss/damage of OCI certificate/visa
(iv) Change of Address/Occupation

thank you idk

I have gone through this info already...after reading which i was worried.

superamericano

Forgot to mention you earlier...My daughter has already received her OCI card which has my mismatch name. Like you said..i will keep shush..for another 5 yrs. After which when I apply for renewal I will put my correct name.

superamericano thank you again.

Hopefully after 5 years a lot of confusions that occur in an OCI application will be cleared. I am over the age of 21 and my OCI card also has a mismatch on my father's name. His middle name is put down as his last name. I've never experienced any problems so far. I don't even think they pay attention to the parent's name as long as the individual's name matches the OCI booklet who's name is on the OCI stamp and the US passport.

speakamericano...thank you again..it was relief conversing with you. I am planning on send my daughter to india for education from college onwards...by then things should resolve here.

She is already facing cultural challenges here.

Have you considered sending the OCI application directly to New Delhi from India. You can actually avoid the Travisa or the Consulate drama if you apply directly at Delhi. I know a friend of mine who went to kasturba medical college to study medicine after graduating high school in the States.
Your daughter will be paying the tuition fee as an international student (I believe) if you send her to India, which is still a lot cheaper than getting an education at the US School. Have you considered scholarships for your daughter's education. They're a good start and they're available in India too nowadays.
Good Luck with her studies!

I was not aware that i can apply directly at Delhi. Do you need to be in India to do this?. The only reason i would ever want to apply MISC form is my name (mothers name ) prob in my daughters oci card.

But I would definitely want to send my daughter to india after highschool here. Do you think my name mismatch in her OCI card will be a problem for her then in india?

Also, I just learned after 5 yrs i will have only get the oci stamp on her renewed US passport. Which will still not address the my name prob in her OCI card...do you agree.

pls note I do honor what you said earlier.

Unfortunately, you do have to be in India in order to send the OCI from there. I don't think your name change would ever cause any problem on her OCI. I don't even know why our Indian govt writes down parents' name on our passports/OCI booklet. My Indian passport had my wrong name written on it for 8 years. I traveled with the wrong name, just carried my SSN and green card to avoid any problem. Never had a problem at the immigration. A lot of goras understand the problem of name change/correction on Indian passport. For instance my very first Indian passport was blank on the last name. My first name was filled with First name and Middle name (Even though I had no middle name on my birth certificate...God knows where they thought of giving me a middle name from) When I renewed my passport, they put my middle name as my last name, causing even more confusion. I got it all corrected on my American documents at the naturalization as goras follow the birth certificate.

Yes, your name will only be shown on the OCI booklet, not on the visa in the US passport. The parents' name is just a formality to write something down on the last page in Indian paperwork.

NP for the info. provided. I've all the time on my hands. I take a bunch of online classes which is why I am always logged on here.

OMG...u r good. thk god...I met you here. I did not sleep the whole night yesterday...cribing about this with my hubby...one more thing, you were refering to KBC ( Kasturba Medical College :- that is in UPDUPI if i am right...are you from somewhere there? coz my hubby is from mangalore. Udupi not far from there.

Good luck with your online classes....