OCI renewal - Did you apply for renunciation with cancelled stamp on indian passport?

Await_GC

Registered Users (C)
I have a "cancelled" stamp in my passport and it looks like I have to apply for renunciation of the indian passport to renew the OCI for kids as my cancellation does not state due to obtaining US citizenship. I have copied the Travisa instructions below. Can any one that renewed kids OCI recently share your experience.

11.For Minors-Copies of Parents Proof of Renunciation-only applies if applicant's old OCI card was issued before June 1st, 2010:
If one parent or both parents are naturalized citizens; proof of renunciation for parent(s) must be provided, one of the following must be produced as proof:
◦A certificate of renunciation issued by a Consulate of India or,
◦Cancelled Indian passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US (or any non Indian country) citizenship.
◦If parent(s) need to obtain renunciation certificate, please apply for renunciation certificate prior to submitting application for minor.

Renunciation question

I suggest you call and speak to Travisa customer service. If your processing center is NY, you can call the number below -

Phone: (212) 754-9900 - Please have your 9 Digit Application Id ready when calling

They have email also listed, but I have read from others experience that response to email is practically nil.

I suggest you call and speak to Travisa customer service. If your processing center is NY, you can call the number below -

Phone: (212) 754-9900 - Please have your 9 Digit Application Id ready when calling

They have email also listed, but I have read from others experience that response to email is practically nil.

After speaking to travisa and confirming with the consulate I ended up applying for renunciation/SC with the "CANCELLED" stamp in the indian passport. I now have a stamp "CANCELLED as holder acquired US citizenship" and the stamped and signed surrender certificate. This is now required if you renew your OCI for kids that was issued before June 1, 2010.

Await_GC, can you please confirm how much you paid to Travisa to get your "CANCELLED" stamped Indian passport to have "CANCELLED as holder acquired US citizenship" and a signed surrender certificate?

I am in the same boat and when I tried to sumbit a new request for a surrender certificate, Travisa automatically assess $250 fine in addition to the $40 surrender certificate fee. FYI, I have the CANCELLED stamped indian passport and I have acquired naturalization/US Citizenship in 2009. Appreciate your feedback.

After speaking to travisa and confirming with the consulate I ended up applying for renunciation/SC with the "CANCELLED" stamp in the indian passport. I now have a stamp "CANCELLED as holder acquired US citizenship" and the stamped and signed surrender certificate. This is now required if you renew your OCI for kids that was issued before June 1, 2010.

You don't have to pay the $250 fine if you have the 'CANCELLED' stamp in the passport. So pay the fees without the $250 fine.

You don't have to pay the $250 fine if you have the 'CANCELLED' stamp in the passport. So pay the fees without the $250 fine.

Did you send the original Indian cancelled passport or a copy with the application for minor's OCI renewal?
Did you also send a notarized copy of parents' naturalization certificate?
Can you also summarize list of documents sent? Answers appreciated!

For documents to attach for minor's OCI renewal see my document list in the thread below.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...-of-kids-OCI-re-issue-due-to-passport-renewal

OCI renewal needed both surrender certificate copy and a copy of the cancelled Indian passport which was requested after(see timeline in the thread above) I sent all the documents listed in the Travisa form. So you want to include a copy of the cancelled indian passport for both parents, copy of us passport for both parents and oci card copy of both parents in the initial document list.

Did you send the original Indian cancelled passport or a copy with the application for minor's OCI renewal?
Did you also send a notarized copy of parents' naturalization certificate?
Can you also summarize list of documents sent? Answers appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
For documents to attach for minor's OCI renewal see my document list in the thread below.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...-of-kids-OCI-re-issue-due-to-passport-renewal

OCI renewal needed both surrender certificate copy and a copy of the cancelled Indian passport which was requested after(see timeline in the thread above) I sent all the documents listed in the Travisa form. So you want to include a copy of the cancelled indian passport for both parents, copy of us passport for both parents and oci card copy of both parents in the initial document list.

Thanks for the information. We got our Citizenship in 2008 and OCI in 2009. There was no renunciation certificate at that time, but ours and and childs Indian passports were stamped "canceled due to acquisition of US citizenship". I think I can send copies of the page showing that stamp instead of the surrender cert, right? Also no notarized documentation is required, correct?

I think you can send the copy of the cancelled due to acquisition of US citizenship copy without the surrender certificate(based on what I see in the requirements for OCI reissue - see item 10 below) but ultimately Travisa decides whether to accept that. So I my suggestion would be to call Travisa and see what they say. All copies can be self notorized/attested. The only originals are the old and new US passport for the minor, and the original oci card. All other documents are self attested copies only.

10.Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship - only applies if applicant's old OCI card was issued before June 1st, 2010:

If the applicant has already renounced Indian citizenship, one of the following must be produced as proof:
◦A copy of your Certificate of Renunciation issued by a Consulate of India or,
Your cancelled Indian passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US (or any non Indian country) citizenship.

Thanks for the information. We got our Citizenship in 2008 and OCI in 2009. There was no renunciation certificate at that time, but ours and and childs Indian passports were stamped "canceled due to acquisition of US citizenship". I think I can send copies of the page showing that stamp instead of the surrender cert, right? Also no notarized documentation is required, correct?

Last edited by a moderator: