OCI - India (MHA/FRRO) Tracker

abhiski

Registered Users (C)
Getting OCI in India - Delhi FRRO

Does anyone has first hand experience in getting OCI in India through Delhi FRRO ? Is the process similar to as in the US that everything is through mail/courier or do you have to go to the office ? Can you use agents to stand in line just like it happens at the US consulate ?

Also, is there any restriction of the kind of visa that you're on to get the OCI in India ? I would be most probably on "Entry Visa" or "X visa" which is the one that Indian origin people typically have.

Does anyone has first hand experience in getting OCI in India through Delhi FRRO ? Is the process similar to as in the US that everything is through mail/courier or do you have to go to the office ? Can you use agents to stand in line just like it happens at the US consulate ?

Also, is there any restriction of the kind of visa that you're on to get the OCI in India ? I would be most probably on "Entry Visa" or "X visa" which is the one that Indian origin people typically have.

I also plan on doing that, anyone with insight on this?

Me too, but here is some info

Looks like the people who get OCI have achieved moksha and do not visit this forum again. I have also been scouting for this information ... and found the following

This forum does nto allow me to post urls, but the url basically is

http colon slash slash www dot r2iclubforums dot com then forums then f19 then mt-overseas-citizenship-india-oci-discussion-565 then index14.html

Replace then by / and it should work

If that does not work just google for "OCI man singh 1030 flight". 2 people have put down their experiences. Although the information is one year old, it is useful.

I am also wondering how the process will go since I did not take an employment visa before coming to India. I had to take an entry visa in a hurry to get my kids started in school while the India employment offer was still being finalized. Now I can not start work until the OCI is done - hopefully it is as fast as SFO does nowadays.

Best of luck all ... if you have any latest information, do let us know. I am even willing to make another trip to Delhi to submit forms if that will make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI Application at MHA

Hi all,

I have applied to MHA for OCI as I am at Pune. The application was sent on June 30th with speed post. The speed post tracking shows it delivered there on July 4 th. I am worried until my application has not yet acknowledge. Any one in similar predicaments?

Does a visit to the MHA will help?

Any phone number?

Thanks. I am worried. Any help is appreciated.

AdditionalyCould I file at Mumbai FRRO?

I think if you are in Pune, you should have applied to FRRO, Mumbai as it's their jurisdiction. That may be causing the delay. I don't think you should apply again to Mumbai FRRO while this is pending.

I don't quite know how timely things are with FRRO Mumbai and MHA. But when my wife went there to apply for OCI as she was in Mumbai, as usual after the 3rd visit, the guy pointed out how it was going to be very difficult to do it (she had lived in India on PIO for 4 months already) but he would be able to get it done! Of course, you understand what he was implying, right?

She didn't apply there. We registered with the commissioner's office in Pune as I was setting up the house etc in Pune at that time. Then, after we came back to US for a short visit, we applied here (Chicago) and it came back in less than a month.

Good luck with your application with MHA!

I think if you are in Pune, you should have applied to FRRO, Mumbai as it's their jurisdiction. That may be causing the delay. I don't think you should apply again to Mumbai FRRO while this is pending.

I don't quite know how timely things are with FRRO Mumbai and MHA. But when my wife went there to apply for OCI as she was in Mumbai, as usual after the 3rd visit, the guy pointed out how it was going to be very difficult to do it (she had lived in India on PIO for 4 months already) but he would be able to get it done! Of course, you understand what he was implying, right?

She didn't apply there. We registered with the commissioner's office in Pune as I was setting up the house etc in Pune at that time. Then, after we came back to US for a short visit, we applied here (Chicago) and it came back in less than a month.

Good luck with your application with MHA!
Thanks. May I know the process of registering at the comissioners office in Pune? I will follow up with a visit to MHA. I am really worried now.

I am planning to appy in MHA today and tomorrow and will post my findings.
I just hope it gets done in like 1 month or so.

Any lawyers for OCI help in Bangalore?

Does any one out there know if there are any lawyers in Bangalore who provide service in the areas of OCI or general immigration to India?

Registering with Pune Commisioner's office was a relatively painless process. It's near Sadhu Vaswani Chowk in downtown Pune. It will take a minimum of two visits. First time you go to submit the application (you can download it via their website also) and second time to pick it up a week later. People there were friendly. If you have PIO card, it's very simple. If you have a visa, then I think they might ask for other documents.

Me too

I am planning to file directly to MHA next week.

However, if someone can respond before then and help me through the process, it will be wonderful (and paid as agreed).

Does any one out there know if there are any lawyers in Bangalore who provide service in the areas of OCI or general immigration to India?

Is your case straightforward? If so, you don't need a lawyer.

If your case is not straightforward, here's the links:

1) http://www.hg.org/law-firms/Immigration/India/Bangalore.html
2) http://www.martindale.com/immigration/c-india/all-lawyers.htm
3) http://yellowpages.sulekha.com/bangalore/immigration-lawyers_bangalore_contacts.htm

Hope this helps.

FRRO / SSP Office in Noida (Delhi NCR)

Hi,

I came to India last week on X visa. Need to register with FRRO within another week.

It seems one can go the local SSP office (in my case Noida) for the foreigners' registration. I'm not able to find the info for this office online. If anyone has info on the location/contact details of this office, can you please let me know ?

Thanks,
Abhishek

I think on Visa, you don't need to register unless your stay is for longer than 6 months...
I read this on India immigration form also.

Well here's my story.

First time I went there, they rejected the photos because of white background.
Second visit(one week later) , I had the wrong name on the draft, so went to nearby bank and got the new draft and submitted my application. They said 2 months to process.

There was a guy who came from B'lore to collect OCI, his experience was very good, he said he sent the application by mail and within one month his status was updated to ready, so he came to collect OCI.

hope mine comes through in a month.

Applied 06/30 to MHA , the website did not update the status. Therefore, sent a friend with authorization and PP copy to MHA in Sep 1st and was told the application has been granted. Then the friend ha to go again with my PP and authorization letter. He had to deposit extra balance of fees as I had deposited less than the current fees of 14K. They stamped and gave the PP an OCI booklet.

I finally got mine. The website never got updated. I had to send my friend in with authorization letter and PP copy. They told him and asked to come later with the balance money of application an also with my original passport. He did both and they gave him the visa stamp and booklet.

Applied 6/30 and granted 9/1.

Applied with FRRO/Mumbai

Recently my wife and kids applied by EMS Speedpost with FRRO/Mumbai. ( I applied from US 3 months back and got it in a month). She got a call from the FRRO office in 3 days saying that Mumbai office needs the application in Triplicate (3 copies). My wife asked them why Triplicate when website clearly says the application needs 2 copies. FRRO says it is common practice and one copy is for them. Also they needed marriage certificate even though why wife is applying as an ex-citizen of India. Any way we send the 3rd copy and the marriage certificate a week ago.

Application Sent: Sep 14 2009
Additional Material Sent: Sep 21 2009
Waiting for Acknowledgement

Hope this helps