OCI fees

mario123

Registered Users (C)
I can't seem to find any old threads that provide an answer to these questions, so excuse me if I post again:

1) We have a family of 4 application: me, wife and 2 minors. Is it one fee of $275 for all 4 or is it $1100.00 ($275 + $275 + $275 +$275)?

2) Mailing charges: Again, is it $15 * 4 or just $15?

3) Can I write one check for appl. fees & mailing fees or is it separate checks?

4) Finally, regarding cancelling the Indian PP - I was told and have read here repeatedly that you DON'T have to cancel your passport before hand - you can do it when collecting the U-sticker in person. Is that true or does it not matter either way? I don't want them to reject my appl. just because there is no "cancelled" stamp on my Indian pp.

Answers

I can't seem to find any old threads that provide an answer to these questions, so excuse me if I post again:

1) We have a family of 4 application: me, wife and 2 minors. Is it one fee of $275 for all 4 or is it $1100.00 ($275 + $275 + $275 +$275)?
$1100.00

$15 for all 4

3) Can I write one check for appl. fees & mailing fees or is it separate checks?
yes for 1115

4) Finally, regarding cancelling the Indian PP - I was told and have read here repeatedly that you DON'T have to cancel your passport before hand - you can do it when collecting the U-sticker in person. Is that true or does it not matter either way? I don't want them to reject my appl. just because there is no "cancelled" stamp on my Indian pp.

I sent my passports for cancellation when I applied but thats not necessary send them with your american passpotrs after your OCi is approved and documents received.

Thanks

I sent my passports for cancellation when I applied but thats not necessary send them with your american passpotrs after your OCi is approved and documents received.

Thanks shooshman.

Any comments about the first 3 questions?

1. The fee is $275 for each person, so it will be $1100.00
2. The houston embassies website says it is $15.00, I think you can include one $15 application fees based (in my case for SF embassy, I included a express mail envelope with $16.25 affixed to it)
3. You cannot write a personal check, it has to be a money order/cashiers check and I think one check will be sufficient for all 4 applications.

I applied at the san francisco consulate and responses are based on the guidelines that are provided on their website http://www.cgisf.org but looks like houston embassies instructions are not at the same detail as SF embassies website, you may want to call them to confirm

######From the OCI guidelines section on the SF indian embassy website#####
Application fee for OCI is US $275(per applicant) + A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED(Postage Prepaid $16.25) USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE SHOULD BE SENT FOR RETURNING CARDS LATER.

For PIO Card Holders, the fee for OCI is US $25(per applicant) + A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED(Postage Prepaid $16.25) USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE SHOULD BE SENT FOR RETURNING CARDS LATER.

One SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE is applicable for the entire family.

Fee will ONLY be accepted through MONEY ORDERS & CERTIFIED/CASHIERS CHECKS in favor of Consulate General of India, San Francisco.
CASH and Personal Checks WILL NOT be accepted.
#################################################

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot!

1. The fee is $275 for each person, so it will be $1100.00
2. You need to include a self addressed USPS express mail envelope with $16.25, I think you can just send one self-addressed envelope but make sure that there is enough postage to cover the weight of all four cards/passports.
3. You cannot write a personal check, it has to be a money order/cashiers check and I think one check will be sufficient for all 4 applications.

I applied at the san francisco consulate and my responses are based on the guidelines that are provided on their website http://www.cgisf.org

######From the OCI guidelines section on the SF indian embassy website#####
Application fee for OCI is US $275(per applicant) + A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED(Postage Prepaid $16.25) USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE SHOULD BE SENT FOR RETURNING CARDS LATER.

For PIO Card Holders, the fee for OCI is US $25(per applicant) + A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED(Postage Prepaid $16.25) USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE SHOULD BE SENT FOR RETURNING CARDS LATER.

One SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED USPS EXPRESS MAIL ENVELOPE is applicable for the entire family.

Fee will ONLY be accepted through MONEY ORDERS & CERTIFIED/CASHIERS CHECKS in favor of Consulate General of India, San Francisco.
CASH and Personal Checks WILL NOT be accepted.
#################################################

mant0478

Thanks for answering deligently! I don't plan on sending my passports to CGIH - they are notorious for messing up/losing stuff (check this forum for experiences). So, I'm planning on going down there to get the stamp as well as get my Indian PP cancelled at the same time.

1) Does that sound workable to you?

2) Do I still need to enclose a self-addressed envelope?

3) How do we know when the OCI appl. is ready for the U-sticker? Do they call/write/email?

Thanks again

Mario,

Note that I edited my post based on Houston embassies website, they are asking for $15.00 to cover the fedex shipping, so you should not include the express mail envelope but include the shipping cost, but if you are going to be picking up the passports then you may not need to include the $15 fees but I am not sure, you may want to check with them or check the houston thread for details.

When the card's arrive, someone said they send you an email and you can also track the progress from the tracking provided on the website.