OCI - Chicago Tracker

I Just want share My OCI status, looks like CGI, Chicago also moving faster than I think..... My application is Family Application and Surrender certificate applied and received 3 months ago.
Now I applied for OCI.

Sent to CGI chicago : 01/10/11 by USPS Express Mail.
Received at CGI Chicago : 01/11/11.
Date of Acknowledgement : 20-JAN-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned : 21-JAN-2011
Registration Status : UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status : NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on : NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at CHICAGO : NOT YET

12/3- applied in person, surrender certificate and passport canceled the same day
1/26/11- scanned

When I called them, they said they are working fast and catching up now. Good luck to all.

Application Sent 12-OCT-2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 07-DEC-2010
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-DEC-2010
Registration Status Granted On 09-JAN-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 11-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 12-JAN-2011
Documents Received at CHICAGO 18-JAN-2011
Passport sent to Chicago CGI by FedEx (ground) 18-JAN-2011
Passport delivered to CGI (signed by RAJ ) on 20-Jan-2011
CGI-Chicago mailed the documents back by
USPS Express mail on 25-JAN-2011
USPS EXPRESS MAIL delivered note in mailbox 26-JAN-2011
Collected USPS express mail at local PO on 26-JAN-2011

1. All entries on both the visa and the certificate are PRINTED rather than handwritten as in older versions of the documents.
2. Photo seems to have a light washed out look; may be my documents were done towards the end of life of the ink cartridge.
3. Visa stickers that are printed in landscape format are usually stuck to the passport with the top of the visa at the interior of the page; this is done this way so that the two printed lines at the bottom of the visa can be inserted in the swiping slot of a scanner. see the example: http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/PDF_FORMS/OCICardandOCIvisasticker.pdf This is also true of the passport ID pages of all passports of any nationality. Check your own passport. The two lines of print are at the bottom of the (landscape formatted) page so that you can swipe that page in a boarding pass or ticket issuing reader. However, my OCI visa sticker has the bottom of the visa (where the two lines of scanning numbers are printed) at the interior of the passport page. Well... now I understand why they need us to carry the certificate document "the OCI card" also -- it has the correct orientation of the visa page for swiping in a machine !!
4. U-Visa issue date is the date of printing rather than the date of OCI grant.

Checked documents for spelling, correct Passport numbers etc.. And made a pdf copy of the visa sticker and all the pages of the certificate and mailed myself a copy. This safeguard will help, if I happen to lose these documents and have to produce a copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
12/3- applied in person, surrender certificate and passport canceled the same day
1/26/11- scanned
1/28/11- registered

In our family application, the documents are printed forw myself and the kids. My husbands picture was rejected! Any idea on how long does it take to re process the application?

Dispatch time

My documents were dispatched on 21 Jan and they haven't yet arrived at Chicago. Does anyone know what is the typical time it takes for the docs to reach the mission (Chicago) Thanks

Same here my documents were dispatched on the 20th Jan 2011 still have not reached the consulate. Any comments as to what can be done?

I called CGI on Monday. They said the documents must have come in but may not have been verified and entered into the system by the officer. That sounds like a reasonable explanation, but lets keep our fingers crossed

Just checked the website. It is updated saying my documents were received at Chicago on 2/3/11. My guess is that a batch job runs every morning in Delhi that updates the inforamtion from their internal systems. I doubt if people in Chicago have updated this website at 7:00 PM

Well, I just checked the status on my OCI, boy, I am glad Its been updated and moving fast finally......
DATE OF ACK---DEC 3, 2010
PHOTO SCANNED- JAN 26, 2011
REGISTRATION STATUS -- JAN 28, 2011
DOCUMENTS PRINTING STATUS -- PRINTED
DOCTUMENTS PRINTED ON -- FEB 1, 2011
DOCUMENTS DISPATCHED TO
CONCERNED MISSION/OFFICE ON -- FEB 03, 2011
DOCUMENTS RECEIVED AT --- CHICAGO---FEB 10th, 2011

I am hoping this was the last step in the process that started 10+ years ago for me as I started with the GC process followed by USC & now OCI , :) . Planning to collect the documents this week.

Date Of Acknowledgment :18-NOV-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On:06-JAN-2011
Registration Status Granted On:18-JAN-2011
Documents Printing Status:pRINTED
Documents Printed On:19-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on:20-JAN-2011
Documents Received at CHICAGO On : 03-FEB-2011

Documents for OCI Collection

Hi,

For OCI Collection I am sending US Passport and Status page. My question is do I need to send the Indian passport too? It's already been cancelled and I got the Surrender Certificate too.

Is there anything else I need to send?

Thanks.

===========================
Photo/Signature Scanned On 19-JAN-2011
Registration Status Granted On 20-JAN-2011
Documents Printed On 21-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 25-JAN-2011
Documents Received at CHICAGO On 03-FEB-2011

Hi,

For OCI Collection I am sending US Passport and Status page. My question is do I need to send the Indian passport too? It's already been cancelled and I got the Surrender Certificate too.

Thanks.

This is the list from CGI New York. i am not sure if this is applicable to Chicago CGI.
The documents required for collection of OCI card and U visa are as follows:
(i) US passport in original;
(ii) a print out of the online status (it can be obtained by accessing http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry);
(iii) original PIO card in case the applicant is a PIO card holder;
(iv) return mailing charges of US$20 by way of postal money order (for up to 4 passports) if documents are to be received by mail;
(v) cancelled Indian passport/surrender certificate.

Hi,

Thanks.

Send a copy the surrender certificate..

Hi,

Thanks.

I sent only US Passport and copy of status page with copy of surrender+Indian passport showing its canceled. No need to send original.

hope this help.

Hello everyone, Just joining the thread since I applied for my family and I. See signature for timeline.

Consulate: Chicago

Obtained Surrender Certificate/Cancelled Passport: 4 weeks.

OCI Tracker:
02/13/11 ---- Mailed via FedEx Ground
02/15/11 ---- Delivered Chicago Consulate
02/22/11 ---- Chicago Consulate Acknowledgement
02/23/11 ---- Photo/Signature Scanned

hope it moves fast. 3.5 cm picture requirement was a pain in the &^%&^%

hope it moves fast. 3.5 cm picture requirement was a pain in the &^%&^%

+1. I took the pictures myself at home for my family and I and yeah, it was a b&@$h to get the 35 mm requirement right. I'm just glad things are moving along fairly quickly for me - see my signature below.