OCI - Chicago Tracker

Anyone in Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area for trip to Chicago consulate...!?

I am considering driving to Chicago consulate sometimes in the first two weeks of August - actually both to consulate and the separate visa building...

Anyone interested in car pool, let me know...

I applied to get SC before OCI.

OCI Timeline:
July 08 2010 - OCI application mailed (USPS Priority with signature confirmation). Post office says it is delivered. But tracking says Notice left. So I hope it is delivered.
July 12 2010 - I think application is delivered.
???? - Application acknowledged
???? - Scanned
???? - Granted
???? - Printed
???? - Documents dispatched to Chicago
???? - Documents received in Chicago
???? - Sent US passport, Indian passports to Indian Consulate (FedEx priority)
???? - Passports delivered to Indian Consulate
???? - Passports, OCI docs mailed by Indian Consulate (USPS Express Mail)
???? - Docs received, all in order.

Recd. the OCI s

After a long ordeal and a couple of nasty emails, we got back our OCIs and the US passports. I had told them that I would be compelled to write to the State department that they were withholding US passports w/o assigning any reasons. Then only these fellows responded thru' email and sent the OCIs promptly.

However, we haven't got back our Indian passports or the SCs (almost 2 months now)

I am a US Immigrant Citizen from India. I do want to apply for OCI card. I did lost my Indian passport. All I do have now is a copy of the Indian passport. How do I get my surrender certificate. Please explain
Hello,

I just want to start this thread for Chicago applicants. Please post your time. My time line is in my signature below, I'll update it regularly as we move along.

Thanks all

Good luck

Finally We got all the documents by making a visit to Chicago. There were lot of people at consulate for applying OCI in person. I told the lady at OCI counter that our US passports were received by Chicago on 7-20 and I have not heard anything back. Lady told me that they have sent everything back for all July applications. She asked me to come between 4-5. I was glad to hear my name at 4:10 and was pleasantly surprised that she had all my documents ready to receive. Lady told me that my surrender certificate was misplaced with someone else. I heard that there are many boxes for OCI application at consulate. I suggest you folks to make a trip if you have problem.

Good Luck to all!

Here is OCI application status update for my family

05/24/10 : OCI App Mailed to Chicago
05/25/10 : OCI App received
06/25/10 : Date of Acknowledgment
07/11/10 : Photo/Signature Scanned
07/11/10 : Registration Status Granted
07/12/10 : Documents Printed
07/13/10 : Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office
07/16/10 : Documents received in Chicago
07/19/10 : Sent US passports
07/20/10 : Passports received at Chicago
08/09/10 : Received all documents by visit to Chicago (US, Indian passports, OCI cards, Cancelled PIO cards, Indian passports and surrender certificates)

Thanks.

Dear

Last edited by a moderator:
After a long ordeal and a couple of nasty emails, we got back our OCIs and the US passports. I had told them that I would be compelled to write to the State department that they were withholding US passports w/o assigning any reasons. Then only these fellows responded thru' email and sent the OCIs promptly.

However, we haven't got back our Indian passports or the SCs (almost 2 months now)

Got the Indian passports back along with the SC and with this ends our OCI saga.
It took more than 5 months for us from start to finish.

But thank god it has ended.

How do I reach live person at chicago consulate for OCI? I called and they have all menus but after about 5 minutes of instructions no way to reach live person.

It is very difficult to get hold of live person for OCI. Try calling main numbers 312 - 595 - 0405 & 312-595-0409 and ask for extension 245 during non oci hours (10-11AM). I would suggest making a visit to Chicago consulate. Lady at OCI counter was telling that she replies to all e-mails. Try e-mail also.

What after "Registration Status Granted"

Hi,

I am from Chicago, and the OCI application has been granted, I believe after this the documents will be sent to the consulate, can I go in person with my passport once it says the documents are received or do we have to mail it in?

Hi,

I am from Chicago, and the OCI application has been granted, I believe after this the documents will be sent to the consulate, can I go in person with my passport once it says the documents are received or do we have to mail it in?

You can visit consulate after documents are received there. Not sure, if you already paid for mailing the documents back to you.

Thanks 'Dear' . I have not paid for the postage, I included a letter as they asked me to saying I will pick them up in person.

Will try to call them. So once the documents are received, do I submit my passport and come back or is it a one day work that you submit the passport and then get it back in the evening?

email address for Chicago consulate

It is very difficult to get hold of live person for OCI. Try calling main numbers 312 - 595 - 0405 & 312-595-0409 and ask for extension 245 during non oci hours (10-11AM). I would suggest making a visit to Chicago consulate. Lady at OCI counter was telling that she replies to all e-mails. Try e-mail also.

What is the email address for Chicago consulate?

Thanks

Thanks 'Dear' . I have not paid for the postage, I included a letter as they asked me to saying I will pick them up in person.

Will try to call them. So once the documents are received, do I submit my passport and come back or is it a one day work that you submit the passport and then get it back in the evening?

You give passports to consulate between 10-11 AM and pick them up on the same day between 4-5 PM.

Update, I went to the Indian Consulate and gave my passport at about 11 Am and had to collect it back at 4 PM.

Took the surrender certificate
Canceled Indian passport
US passport

Thank you and good luck to all!

OCI Chicago - in person

I got my SC and OCI - in person by visiting Indian consulate general in Chicago. Here are some of the details..

I live in the suburbs. So took the train to downtown. Indian consulate (NBC Towers) is about 25 mins walk from union station.

I was there at about 8:45 AM. They opened at about 9:00 AM. There were already several people standing in line outside the building. We were asked to come into the building at 9:00 AM. Then few mins of waiting outside the consulate in 8th floor. When they open the door we had to line up in front of the reception and they give out tokens there. ( One token for both OCI and SC and same token can be used for the entire family). Once we get the token we will have to wait until the OCI counters open at 11:00 AM. This is good time to head out and walk around downtown... at 11:00 AM OCI counter opens. This counter is at the far end of the hall. Then they start calling numbers and they verify and collect our paper work. I had following documents with me..

Surrender Certificate:
1. Original Indian passport.
2. SC form downloaded and filled
3. copy of Indian passport.
4. copy of US passport.
5. $20 Bank cheque.

OCI:
1. Color print-out of ICO status (Online status) which show Granted and document received info.
2. Original US Passport.
3. Copy of Indian Passport.
4. copy of US Passport.

Once the documents are verified and submitted at the OCI counter. We have to comeback at 4:00 PM to collect these documents... I spent my time in the Library at State Street and was back at 3:45 PM. There was a queue in front of the building as in the morning ( consulates closes from 1:00 PM -to- 3:30 PM). OCI counter opens at 4:00 and they call out names for us to sign and pickup our OCI and SC..

I have read people had bad experiences at the Chicago consulate. But I think they are doing best they can... I found them very friendly and nice.. YES they could have streamlined the process a bit and made us visit the consulate only twice instead of 3 times.... but it is what it is... depending on the personal situations this may not work for everyone.. Mailing is the other alternative..

Last edited by a moderator:
Apply for surrender certificate and OCI at same time at Chicago consulate

Can i apply for surrender certificate and OCI at same time at chicago consulate ?. Or i have to get first Surrender certificate then attached that doc to apply for OCI?

thanks