OCI - Chicago Tracker

Just got back from Chicago. Went personally to get the OCI in Chicago (6hr drive) and apply for the renunciation. I was not sure about what the deal about renunciation. Essentially you need to pau another $175 or you wont get the OCI. SCAM written all over it.
In any case the lady at the consulate was very nice (didnt feel much pain in giving up $175 :-D), actually they were all friendly totally unlike what I had expected and very helpful. Anyway: all done now I guess..
Update:
04/09/10 : OCI App Mailed to Chicago (USPS Priority Certified Mail)
04/12/10 : OCI App received
04/23/10 : Date of Acknowledgment
05/06/10 : Photo/Signature Scanned
05/08/10 : Registration Status Granted
05/11/10 : Documents Printed
05/13/10 : Documents despatched from Delhi
05/19/10: Documents received in Chicago
05/21/10 : Applied for renunciation and received the OCI documents in person in Chicago

I am going to apply OCI for me (US Citizen to OCI), wife (US Citizen to OCI) and daughter (Citizen by birth, PIO to OCI). Here are the three seperate cashier checks I am including

Cashier Check of $695 (2 x $275 and 1 x $145, PIO to OCI) for OCI application
Cashier check of $22 ($20 + $1 + $1) for mailing fee
Cashier check of $350 (2 x $175) for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship (for me and wife)

I am sending original Indian passports for me and wife as well. Let me know if I missing anthing.

Question: Do we need to send all our US Passports at this time?

Thanks.
Dear

Snay,

What is the processing time for renunciation certificate? Can you get it on the same day? Do you need this for travel?
I will be going to collect my OCI next week and planning to travel in the second week of June. Appreciate your feedback..

thanks,

mms

Just got back from Chicago. Went personally to get the OCI in Chicago (6hr drive) and apply for the renunciation. I was not sure about what the deal about renunciation. Essentially you need to pau another $175 or you wont get the OCI. SCAM written all over it.
In any case the lady at the consulate was very nice (didnt feel much pain in giving up $175 :-D), actually they were all friendly totally unlike what I had expected and very helpful. Anyway: all done now I guess..

Can you give us the details of your visit to indian consulate in Chicago.. Like what time you had to go there and what time do they issue your SC..etc.

Thanks

PROTEST RALLY MAY 26th at 10 am
A Rally in front of the Indian Consulate in NY City is planned for May 26 at 10 am to protest the new rules and fees imposed on the Diaspora. Contact Thomas T Oommen, Chairman political forum, FOMAA, and Leela Maret, treasurer, FOKANA, at 631-796-0064.
This is right out of India Abroad dated May 28th.

All,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out of town..

Dear - You dont need to send any Passports while applying for OCI, you will need to do that only after you get an online confirmation that your cases have been approved. You will need copies of both US and Indian passports. Not sure how to upgrade from PIO to OCI. You will need double copies of both applications (partA and partB) and double copies of passports and address proof. You will need to self attest these copies. The instructions are fairly clear, except you have to read a lot to get to that part.

For the renunciation certificate - it will be given the same day.
I went to the consulate by 830 am, but the OCI counter only opens at 11. But I got a number (they issue numbers on first come first serve basis) and I could go out have a coffee and return by 11 am. I had the renunciation certificate all filled out and had a demand draft for $175. YOU MUST print a screen shot of the online status showing its been approved, else they say they cant track your application. Again YOU MUST PRINT....... You will again need copies of US and Indian Passports. **In this paperless age, they are just making more and more paper to keep account** After she accepted my $$ and the renunciation certificate, I had to wait for about 30 min for cancelled Indian passport and the SC and another 30 min for my US passport with stamp and OCI document.

Hope this helps.
Snay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snay. Anyway, I sent my Indian Passports with Renunciation/OCI application. Website says that you should send Indian Passports.

How do you get acknowledgement?

Thanks.
Dear

Good News!
"Government of India has decided that Persons of Indian origin who have already
acquired foreign citizenship until 31 May 2010 will not be required to pay
renunciation fees of USD 175.00, he/she will be required to pay Miscellaneous
fees of USD 20.00 when getting the old Indian passport canceled/surrendered.

In future those Indian citizens who acquire foreign citizenship on or after 01
June 2010 will have to submit declaration of renunciation of their Indian
citizenship forms as given on website and fees of USD 175.00 "

More details at:
http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=144&key
http://www.cgisf.org/
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/02/citizenship-rules-changes-relief-to-indian-community.htm

Any word on people (suckers like me) who have already paid? Any repayment? Guess not!!

Chicago consulate website still says $175+$20 for surrender certificate. So not sure if they will change soon.

Snay - May be you should send out a letter and hope for them refund your $175 Minus $20.

snay,
Check the New York tracker and they have been updating on the latest about what their local office is replying about refunds....
Looks like they are checking with Indian Gov to make a decision on this..... Once that decision arrives, it will slowly propagate to other "Branches"....
It might be all lost, yet......

Good luck,
V!

My OCI documents have been received in Chicago. However, I do not have a surrender certificate. since I applied in March when the new regulations for the Surrender Certificate were not in place.

Should I send BOTH the renunciation form along with the requisite fees ($40) and documents and the US Passport for OCI stamping at the same time ?

Or should I obtain the surrender certificate first, prior to sending the US Passport for the OCI card ?

Any experiences /insight in this regard will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Venki

My OCI documents have been received in Chicago. However, I do not have a surrender certificate. since I applied in March when the new regulations for the Surrender Certificate were not in place.

Should I send BOTH the renunciation form along with the requisite fees ($40) and documents and the US Passport for OCI stamping at the same time ?

Or should I obtain the surrender certificate first, prior to sending the US Passport for the OCI card ?

Thanks,
Venki

We too have a family OCI application pending with the Chicago mission (Date of Ack. May 8th, Scanned on May 13th.)
However, my Indian pp was cancelled in 1999 after I got my Canadian citizenship. My wife has her Indian pp intact but haven't used after we got our US citizenship.

So I just sent the $20.00 for my wife's SC and the additional $2.00 for the mailing fee (Chicago web site says $23.00 mailing fee for a family applying for OCI and SC together) since we already paid $21.00 as the OCI mailing fee earlier.

Of course, we sent my cancelled Indian pp for them to 'see and believe' and my wife's Indian pp for cancellation and all other 'copies ' that they asked for. We also attached the OCI enquiry screen shots for our pending application - explaining through a covering letter to relate all these together.

< But now I gather from the NY forum that the NY mission has removed all info regarding SC from their web site. I don't understand what this bedlam is for >

Last edited by a moderator:
We too have a family OCI application pending with the Chicago mission (Date of Ack. May 8th, Scanned on May 13th.)
However, my Indian pp was cancelled in 1999 after I got my Canadian citizenship. My wife has her Indian pp intact but haven't used after we got our US citizenship.

So I just sent the $20.00 for my wife's SC and the additional $2.00 for the mailing fee (Chicago web site says $23.00 mailing fee for a family applying for OCI and SC together) since we already paid $21.00 as the OCI mailing fee earlier.

Of course, we sent my cancelled Indian pp for them to 'see and believe' and my wife's Indian pp for cancellation and all other 'copies ' that they asked for. We also attached the OCI enquiry screen shots for our pending application - explaining through a covering letter to relate all these together.

< But now I gather from the NY forum that the NY mission has removed all info regarding SC from their web site. I don't understand what this bedlam is for >

Thanks for posting your experience - I guess I will wait a bit to see what other shenanigans evolve..

*fingers crossed*

Refund of $155 - Please send email to Ambassador / GOPIO / CG

Please see the link in renouncedindian.blogspot.com regarding mass appeal for refund of $155.

Let us all send emails to ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org,gopio-intl@sbcglobal.net, cg@indiacgny.org
with content as under :

While I welcome the decision of the Indian Govt for revising the surrender certificate fee to $20, I'd like to represent that I have not been treated justly. On May xx, 2010 , as I had to obtain VISA/OCI to visit India, I was forced to submit applications for the Surrender Certificate with the Consulate General of India along with the fees of $175 each for every member of my family . I had no option then but to adhere to the rules. Also penalties applied if we didnt act quick enough.

With the amended rule, I request you to refund a sum of $155.00 . There is no justification for charging differential amounts for the same category of people (all who obtained naturalization by June 1 , 2010). CG is trying to justify that $175 was the prevaling fee between May 4 and 28. The $175 fee is an aberration and not a fee that stood for several months and hence that argument is invalid.

A special camp was held by CGNY on May 29 and they collected $175 from thousands of people who stood for several hours in lines without food and water to comply with the law, only to know that the next day the fee is brought to the new $20 level.

The differential amount is a huge sum for me. Please do not punish people like me for trying to follow the law to the fullest , correctly and quickly all the time.

Thanks,
Venki

---
You could get the sc right there itself and yes you need to show them the SC before you collect your OCI documents.

Hi OCI applicants -

Anyone out there who applied in May 2nd week?

My application was received by chicago consulate on 05/16/10...So far the application has not been acknowledged by the indian authorities.

Anybody in the same boat....