OCI Checklist for Minor

second stage

Registered Users (C)
We applied for OCI card(for our kid born in the US) and below was the checklist. Hopefully this will be helpful to others.

Myself and my spouse are naturalized US citizens.

We made two copies of all of the below documents.

The serial number matches the OCI instructions.

1 OCI Online Application - Part A and Part B

2 BLS Order Form

3 For minors below 18 of age :
• Below 5 years, thump print.
• Signature of both the parents notarized on Part B

4 Photo :
• One (1) passport sized photo.

5 Signature :
OCI Part A: Thumbprint of Minor in black ink.
OCI Part B: Both parents signature.

6 Copy of United States passport :
• Copy of the information page.
• Copy of the endorsement/amendment pages.

7 Original Passport To Be Sent At The End of Processing(To Be Done)

8 Copies of Parents US Passports or OCI Cards:
• Copies of both parents OCI cards.

9 Copies of Parents Indian Passports and Proof of Renunciation :

• First 3 pages in each Indian passport and the last 2 pages of each Indian passport.
• Proof of Renunciation include a stamp in the Indian passport stating “Cancelled to due acquiring US/foreign citizenship”.

10 Copy of Naturalization Certificate((Not Applicable for Minor)

11 Copy of Birth Certificate

12 Proof of Indian Origin :
• Copy of both parents OCI cards.

13 Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship (Did not Include)

14 Proof of Address :
• For minors, a proof of address from both parents(Driver’s Licenses)

15 Name Change Documentation(Not Applicable)

16 Visa Status(Not Applicable)

17 Travel Rules for OCI Card Holders(Not Applicable)

18 Fees:
• Money order or Cashier's Check( Payable to “BLS INTERNATIONAL SERVICES USA INC” ) for $282.70

19 Return Shipping Label; Used USPS Flat Rate Prepaid Priority Envelope.

I will post additional details as we go along.

Hi second stage,
A. When you filled your BLS order form, how did you get and fill your Airway Bill number and the return airway bill number? Did you go to fedex and first get your airway bill number before filling BLS order form?
B. did you self attest all your supporting photocopies as true copy of the original and sign every page? If yes, what is the exact verbiage/text that you entered in each photocopy page?

Please let me know since I am applying for my baby who is less than a year and us citizen. Btw: we (parents) both are naturalized US citizens.

Thanks.

Hello Sapro.

For #A:
I got prepaid shipping labels from USPS(you can purchase this online and print it out) and used that tracking number for the Airway Bill number. That's much cheaper than FedEx and provides same value.

For #B:
I self attested all pages except for Part B(got this notarized). I wrote "this is a true copy of the original" and signed it and it's no fun self-attesting so many pages - I don't know what value this adds to the application.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

OCI(for Minor) Application Status:

01/30/2014 - Mailed the package to the BLS location in Atlanta.
02/03/2014 - Package was delivered at BLS International.
02/10/2014 - OCI Application Received at the BLS Office
02/10/2014 - OCI Application accepted by BLS.
xx/xx/2014 - OCI Application Processed and Ready to be submitted to the Consulate.
xx/xx/2014 - OCI Card and Original US Passport Received at BLS from Consulate.
xx/xx/2014 - OCI Card handed over to Applicant.
xx/xx/2014 - OCI Card and Renunciation Dispatched Via Courier.

OCI(for Minor) Application Status:

01/30/2014 - Mailed the package to the BLS location in Atlanta.
02/14/2014 - OCI Application Processed and Ready to be submitted to the Consulate.
02/14/2014 - OCI Application Submitted to the Consulate.

Hi second stage,

I have shipped the OCI docs for my baby boy to BLS address in SFO which is our jurisdiction. The signature/thumb print needs to be applied in 2 places. 1 in Part A inside the box and the other in Part B question # 34 where it talks about solemn declaration. This # 34 says Signature. Since my baby boy is less than 1 year old we had made him put his thumb print here as well. If you look at the OCI sample form it says signature/thumb impression of applicant only for question # 34. Hope you did the same thing for your child unless he/she knows how to sign.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi second stage,

I have shipped the OCI docs for my baby boy to BLS address in SFO which is our jurisdiction. The signature/thumb print needs to be applied in 2 places. 1 in Part A inside the box and the other in Part B question # 34 where it talks about solemn declaration. This # 34 says Signature. Since my baby boy is less than 1 year old we had made him put his thumb print here as well. If you look at the OCI sample form it says signature/thumb impression of applicant only for question # 34. Hope you did the same thing for your child unless he/she knows how to sign.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Not necessary.
Parents have to sign and get Part B notarized if a Minor cannot sign.
We did not complete #34 however signed the section under it and got it notarized.

The online tracking says the documents were dispatched to the consulate - will keep posted if that's returned.

Probably a new non-sensical BLS add-on requirement, just like their 2 copies required crap (which they themselves don't need when dropping off the forms).

Might make sense to notarize since they mention it... but it was not a requirement until 3-4 months ago when I submitted an OCI for my minor child.

BTW notarization of part B is not mentioned on the government instructions printed separately with the OCI app. Bureaucracy at its best!

Hello Sapro.

For #B:
I self attested all pages except for Part B(got this notarized). I wrote "this is a true copy of the original" and signed it and it's no fun self-attesting so many pages - I don't know what value this adds to the application.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Self-attestation is NOT required. I just submitted an application, around the same time as yours, to SFO. The application has been accepted and sent to GOI.

Self-attestation is NOT required. I just submitted an application, around the same time as yours, to SFO. The application has been accepted and sent to GOI.

Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted.

It doesn't end until you have the OCI on-hand so we will have to wait and see..

What does your status say on the Online OCI Services page?

Hi second stage,

Just an Update: I sent only OCI cards photocopies of me and my wife for my son who is a minor. 2 days back I recently got an email from BLS that they are missing the US passport photocopies minor's parents. So I sent that as well by Fedex. The reason why I say this is because eventhough the instructions # 8 says "Copies of Parents US Passports or OCI Cards" (either parents US passport OR the OCI card), it seems like they need both. I wish the instructions are much more precise.

Hi second stage,

Just an Update: I sent only OCI cards photocopies of me and my wife for my son who is a minor. 2 days back I recently got an email from BLS that they are missing the US passport photocopies minor's parents. So I sent that as well by Fedex. The reason why I say this is because eventhough the instructions # 8 says "Copies of Parents US Passports or OCI Cards" (either parents US passport OR the OCI card), it seems like they need both. I wish the instructions are much more precise.

This is news to me. My tracking says it has been sent to GOI(Govt of India)

Did your's make it all the way to GOI and then back to BLS or if BLS requesting these docs?

Can you please post your tracking from the BLS website and on the OCI service website?

Hi second stage,

BLS is requesting these docs. No it hasn't gone to GOI yet. Here is the tracking from BLS website:

Current Aplication Status : Your Application is pending for the reasons mentioned below. Kindly send the requisite documents through post. Please mention the Passport number and BLS Application Reference number in the body of the email. The Application will be processed once the documents are received at BLS Office, within 48 working hours of receipt.
(Last Updated On 25-02-2014)

Additional Infomation
# Comments On
1 Your application is in pending due to the following missing document/s.

1)current valid usa passport copies of minor applicant's parents are missing

*please note that we will return your entire application back to you at your own expense if bls doesn�t receive your additional documents within 10 business days.

btw: I found ambiguity even in their BLS tracking text given above. Don't know why they say 'in the body of the email' since I need to send the additional docs by postal mail.

I am unable to post a tracking from OCI service website at this moment but will do it in a day or two.

Hi second stage,

Here is the tracking of my application so far: (all are in dd/mm/yyyy format).

OCI Application Received at the BLS Office:25-02-2014
OCI Application accepted by BLS : 07-03-2014
OCI Application Processed and Ready to be submitted to the Consulate : 07-03-2014
OCI Card and Original US Passport Received at BLS from Consulate : - xx/xx/2014
OCI Card handed over to Applicant : - xx/xx/2014
OCI Card and Renunciation Dispatched Via Courier :- xx/xx/2014

Hi second stage,

Here is the tracking of my application so far: (all are in dd/mm/yyyy format).

Any update on your end?

I see GOI has processed the application and it's waiting to be dispatched.

Here is the updated tracking....

On BLS International Website:

01/30/2014 - Mailed the package via USPS to the BLS location in Atlanta.
02/14/2014 - OCI Application Processed and Ready to be submitted to the Consulate.
02/14/2014 - OCI Application Submitted to the Consulate.

On the Online OCI Services website:

Date Of Acknowledgment : 15-FEB-2014
Registration Status at Mission : ATLANTA
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED On 21-MAR-2014
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : XX-XXX-2014
Document received At ATLANTA On : XX-XXX-2014

Second stage,

No updates from my end. Obviously it will take little longer than yours. I will keep you posted.

Guys, need help in tracking my OCI on

online OCI Services Tracking

When I click on OCI Enquiry, it is asking me for the Passport Number and online registration No or File Acknowledgment no. What are these numbers? Any idea or help please?