OCI application for Minor ONLY

bltzkrig

Registered Users (C)
hi all,
I'm trying to file an individual OCI application for my minor child ONLY.

PART A is clear enough. But PART B seems to be made for an adult applicant (and his spouse and minor children). Filling it in for a minor first applicant creates inconsistencies. Specifically, my questions are:

1. What do I fill in for Item 24 of PART B, as I am not the first applicant, and my child is incapable of solemnly declaring anything!

24.* I/We, ....... do solemnly and sincerely declare [...]
Date.....
Place.........................Signature (first applicant)......

2. What do I fill in for the note below Item 24? Again, I could sign here as the parent, but I'm not an applicant myself

I am a parent/guardian of ...... to whom the foreign particulars relate [...]
Date.........................Signature of first applicant.......

Can anyone tell me how they resolved this? What is an acceptable way to fill in this form? Thanks a bunch.

bltzkrig

I have the same questions about section B bullet point 24. These forms are ridiculous and shows the callous attitude of the Indian govt folks..These forms look so unprofessional...It says minors left thumb impression should be in the box..where the hell is the signature box? There is only a signature area :mad: Part 24 is so inconsistent.. I am also applying for my minor child when we both are Indian citizens as of today.

mnsweeps said:
I have the same questions about section B bullet point 24. These forms are ridiculous and shows the callous attitude of the Indian govt folks..These forms look so unprofessional...It says minors left thumb impression should be in the box..where the hell is the signature box? There is only a signature area :mad: Part 24 is so inconsistent.. I am also applying for my minor child when we both are Indian citizens as of today.

Look in the top part of Part-A.

It states that very clearly - "Signature Box"

I guess by your standards and comments, someone would have
aptly commented - where the hell are you looking ??

But, I will abstain from making any disparaging comments
about your subtle nature to criticize the so called
callous attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
bltzkrig said:
hi all,
I'm trying to file an individual OCI application for my minor child ONLY.

PART A is clear enough. But PART B seems to be made for an adult applicant (and his spouse and minor children). Filling it in for a minor first applicant creates inconsistencies. Specifically, my questions are:

1. What do I fill in for Item 24 of PART B, as I am not the first applicant, and my child is incapable of solemnly declaring anything!

24.* I/We, ....... do solemnly and sincerely declare [...]
Date.....
Place.........................Signature (first applicant)......

2. What do I fill in for the note below Item 24? Again, I could sign here as the parent, but I'm not an applicant myself

I am a parent/guardian of ...... to whom the foreign particulars relate [...]
Date.........................Signature of first applicant.......

Can anyone tell me how they resolved this? What is an acceptable way to fill in this form? Thanks a bunch.

bltzkrig

kindly look for my feedback in the below post. Hope it helps
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=222098

Thanks tdesai! I will do as you suggest in the other threads (sign on behalf of minor child).

I do believe that some more thought and care could have gone into drafting these forms, to make them error free and consistent.

-bltzkrig

bltzkrig said:
Thanks tdesai! I will do as you suggest in the other threads (sign on behalf of minor child).

I do believe that some more thought and care could have gone into drafting these forms, to make them error free and consistent.

-bltzkrig

You are absolutely right my friend. I don't believe that most of the country's
visa forms also think about the corner cases - which we all believe should
have been thought of and drafted accordingly.

BTW, when you will see the OCI visa, I was impressed since that is so
much better than the visa of 80%-90% of the countries out there.

I have had more than 20 visa stamps in my earlier -now defunct Indian
passport and except for the US visa stamp, none other looked any
professional or better than the Indian OCI visa stamp, which I have right
now. So there you go..

Good luck...

bltzkrig said:

-bltzkrig

Let me know if I am correct in your position as I have to do the same thing. The minors left thumb print goes in the so called "signature box" for point 24. And for part below 24 for minors you would sign on behalf of the minor ? Also do you have a inkpad for thumb impression? I dont have one at home....anyway to get the inkpad for one use at Kinkos or so ?

mnsweeps said:
Also do you have a inkpad for thumb impression? I dont have one at home....anyway to get the inkpad for one use at Kinkos or so ?

go to your local bank. Most of them have it in front of the teller.

For e.g. at all Wells Fargo locations, they have a small black box near the counter
and you can use that as well. The bank is not going to charge anyone for that.

Or any notary would have it as well.

mnsweeps said:
Let me know if I am correct in your position as I have to do the same thing. The minors left thumb print goes in the so called "signature box" for point 24. And for part below 24 for minors you would sign on behalf of the minor ? Also do you have a inkpad for thumb impression? I dont have one at home....anyway to get the inkpad for one use at Kinkos or so ?

That's not quite what I did. I put my child's thumb impression at only one place - in the box at the top of Part A.

For Part B Item 24, I wrote my child's name on the dotted line (I/We, <child's name>) but signed myself in the Signature area, indicating "On Behalf of <child's name>".

In the part below Item 24, I signed again as the parent of the minor.

But I guess there's no one right way to do it. As for the inkpad, I picked one at Staples for $2.50.

Having done all this, looking at the SF timelines, I might in all likelyhood have to apply for a visa for our Dec trip!

-bltzkrig

When I read the eligibility criteria for OCI, it looked to me like minor children are eligible for getting OCI only when the parents are eligible for OCI.

And Indian citizens are not eligible for OCI (OCI, by definition, is for foreign nationals only).

So in my opinion, if you are applying for your children only, you may want to confirm that they are indeed eligible. i.e., one of the parents (or grandparents) is no longer an Indian citizen.

Alt, my understanding is a little different --

Kids are US citizens. Parents are Indian citizens. Therefore kids are eligible to apply. Doens't matter that the parents themselves might soon need to apply for OCI - the fact that the kids are not citizens means they can apply.

Please read this FAQ on Ministry of Home affairs web site -

http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/faqs.pdf

#6 in this document clearly says -

Are minor children whose both parents are Indian citizens,
eligible for OCI?
No.

And the deifnition of minor as per #5 is a person under the age of 18.
So if you choose to remain Indian citizens, then your kids can apply only after they reach the age of 18.

Till then, I suggest that PIO is the way to go for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
alt said:
Please read this FAQ on Ministry of Home affairs web site -

http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/faqs.pdf

#6 in this document clearly says -

Are minor children whose both parents are Indian citizens,
eligible for OCI?
No.

And the deifnition of minor as per #5 is a person under the age of 18.
So if you choose to remain Indian citizens, then your kids can apply only after they reach the age of 18.

Till then, I suggest that PIO is the way to go for them.

I wonder what the rationale (if there is one) was behind such a rule. Why does it matter if parents are Indian or not? It doesn't make much sense. Then again these people took 5 years to come up with "dual citizenship" that is not much different from PIO in the first place.

harry2005 said:
I wonder what the rationale (if there is one) was behind such a rule. Why does it matter if parents are Indian or not? It doesn't make much sense. Then again these people took 5 years to come up with "dual citizenship" that is not much different from PIO in the first place.

Yup..only apply for the minor if one of the parents is eligible to apply for OCI. Just got information from a friend, whose minor's OCI application was rejected as a result. (since both my friend and her spouse are still Indian citizens)

they changed the rules!

$%x#&&@$^!!!!!

I was horrified to see the new FAQ cited above. I looked at the copy of the FAQ that I had saved in Aug 2006 when I applied for my child, and it has no mention of minors of Indian citizens not being able to apply. Questions 5 and 6 are new additions to the FAQ. I would clearly not have missed such an explicit indication of ineligibility!

In fact I know first hand at least one case where a US citizen minor child of Indian citizen parents was granted OCI (This was in Feb 2006.)

But I guess their rules for such cases are pretty clear now. Does it mean my $275+15 are down the drain?

Anyone know of any restrictions on PIO status for minor child of Indian parents? Thanks.

bltzkrig

bltzkrig said:
$%x#&&@$^!!!!!

I was horrified to see the new FAQ cited above. I looked at the copy of the FAQ that I had saved in Aug 2006 when I applied for my child, and it has no mention of minors of Indian citizens not being able to apply. Questions 5 and 6 are new additions to the FAQ. I would clearly not have missed such an explicit indication of ineligibility!

In fact I know first hand at least one case where a US citizen minor child of Indian citizen parents was granted OCI (This was in Feb 2006.)

But I guess their rules for such cases are pretty clear now. Does it mean my $275+15 are down the drain?

Anyone know of any restrictions on PIO status for minor child of Indian parents? Thanks.

bltzkrig

i believe you will get your $250 back (refundable part of the processing fee) as per the FAQ

Update...

I emailed the SF consulate section and they confirmed (pretty quick reply, actually) that minor children of Indian citizen parents are now NOT ELIGIBLE for OCI status. There ends my OCI chapter for now.

bltzkrig

same boat here... filled up the app form a couple of months ago, but mailed in Sep - now I find out that they changed the rules...

bltzkrig said:
$%x#&&@$^!!!!!

bltzkrig