OCI and Surrender Certificate

USCZN

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am just starting my journey towards OCI and seems like it is already starting with confusion. A couple of questions -
1. Can I apply for the surrender certificate and OCI at the same time? Or do I need first to apply, receive a surrender certificate and then apply for OCI?
2. My wife received her US Citizenship in May and I received in June. I assume she has to pay $20 and I have to pay $175 for surrender certificate. Is that correct? although we will be applying for both surrender cert and OCI together as a family.

Thanks in advance

To avoid confusion you are better off getting surrender cert first, then apply for OCI. Surrender cert will cost you $175 and your wife $20.

Just another question...the OCI application requires you to send the original Surrender Certificate correct? Is this returned back to the applicant?

I applied for OCI along with the Indian passport for renunciation. I am not sure how long it will take to get the OCI. Meanwhile, there is a likelihood that I have to travel to India. In order to apply for the visa, I will need the surrender certificate. Is it possible to get the surrender certificate from the consulate before the OCI is obtained so that I can get the visa? Any other ideas are welcome too.