Obtaining Birth Certificate if the Birth is not registered

sselva69

Registered Users (C)
I have never had a Birth Certificate. I born at town in Tamil Nadu where I found difficulties to obtain a Non Availability Certificate, and then decided to obtain a Birth Certificate through the Court. I hired a lawyer (who is also a Notary Public in my home town). The following is the order of events that led to get my Birth Certificate.

1. Obtained a letter from Office of the Registrar of Births/Deaths stating that their office do not have any birth records in their files for my name and date of birth

2. Obtained a letter from the Taluk Office stating that their office do not have any birth records in their files for my name and date of birth

3. My lawyer filed a case request in the local court to issue a Birth Certificate for me. He has submitted the letter mentioned in item 2 as supporting document for the case.

4. A hearing came up from the court and my father attended it on 1/18/2005. And then the Magistrate ordered the Taluk office to issue a Birth Certificate.

5. The Taluk Office then sent the necessary paper work to the local Town Panchayat Office where primarily any Birth/Death will be recorded first time.

6. After the birth record was registered in the Town Panchayat Office they referred back to the Taluk Office to issue the Birth Certificate and then I have finally received the Birth Certificate from the Taluk Office on 1/24/2005.

The whole process took about 2 months and my lawyer took care of everything. The total cost was about INR.2500.

Thought of sharing this information to the fellow forum members who will be in similar situation of mine.

sselva69 said:
1. Obtained a letter from Office of the Registrar of Births/Deaths stating that their office do not have any birth records in their files for my name and date of birth

2. Obtained a letter from the Taluk Office stating that their office do not have any birth records in their files for my name and date of birth

It is really a pain. Problem since the registration was not done at the time of birth they nay not accept this.

It would have been easier to get affidavit from the parents once you have done above two steps.

tammy2 said:
It is really a pain. Problem since the registration was not done at the time of birth they nay not accept this.

It would have been easier to get affidavit from the parents once you have done above two steps.

Thanks Tammy2 for your suggestion. Yep, it was pain going thorough this kind of process. Do you mean to say that USCIS may not accept this Birth Certificate? The problem was none of the govt. authorities were ready to provide an Non availaibility letter in a separate sheet, rather they hand written and sign on the back of my request letter to them stating they do not have the birth record. I thought of that kind of letter is useless. I am still able to get the affidavit from the parents if there is any issue.

Please comment.

Thanks

sselva69 said:
Thanks Tammy2 for your suggestion. Yep, it was pain going thorough this kind of process. Do you mean to say that USCIS may not accept this Birth Certificate? The problem was none of the govt. authorities were ready to provide an Non availaibility letter in a separate sheet, rather they hand written and sign on the back of my request letter to them stating they do not have the birth record. I thought of that kind of letter is useless. I am still able to get the affidavit from the parents if there is any issue.

Please comment.

Thanks
Yes that is the non-availability certificate