Obtaining a visiting visa to Canada for my parents in India/US

sg80

Hi,

I am working in US on H1B for a different employer from what is stamped on my passport. I am planning to get my parents here to US and also take them to Canada for a short trip. I am pretty sure that I can use my new H1B and my paystubs to apply for the US visiting visa for my parents. What I am not sure is where to apply for their Canada visiting visa. One of my friends parents got their Canada visiting visa rejected when they applied from US. They were asked to apply from their home country. Is there any rule as such? Or is just that one particular case. And what are the chances that my parents would get their Canada visiting visa from India with me being the sponsor in US?

Thanks in advance.

It is better to make visa applications in the country where the person ordinarily resides. Your parents (even though are visiting you in the US) reside in India therefore they should to apply for Canadian visa in India. However since you are a H1b visa holder which allows you to live and work in the US, you will be considered a resident in the US and can apply for a Canadian visa in the US.
It is impossible to predict the chances of getting a US or Canadian visa but from a practical point of view, if they get a US visa first, getting a Canadian visa would become easier. You will have to clearly outline their travel plans to US and to Canada and how they will pay for it (this is where your US employment and money comes in handy).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally your parents should apply for their Canadian visit visas in India itself.
You being a sponsor is a moot point. Firstly, visit visas (even US visas) are self-sponsored. Secondly, even if you sent your parents an I-134 for their US visit visas, that has nothing to do with them applying for Canadian visit visas.

Is there any rule as such? Or is just that one particular case. And what are the chances that my parents would get their Canada visiting visa from India with me being the sponsor in US?

Your parents (even though are visiting you in the US) reside in India therefore they should to apply for Canadian visa in India. However since you are a H1b visa holder which allows you to live and work in the US

It is actually quite simple - if you parents have a Multiple Entry (M) US Visitors Visa (B-1/2) - they will have no issues applying and getting a Canadian visa here in the US.

Make sure you make it clear that (a) both you and your parents are in the US legally, and (b) you all have been authorized (have the visa) to return to the US upon Canada visit.

One more thing - (c) make sure you demonstrate that no applicant has any ties to Canada, i.e. even if you have distant relatives or cousins there - you don't put them on the Canadian visa application.