Oath

ranipettaian

Registered Users (C)
If an individual travels to India after the interview (before Oath) for about 4 months and returns back to US. Will it be possible to postpone the oath date for 4 months. I know it is possible for a few weeks or a month but did anyone have a similar situation ?

Any suggestions, thoughts....?

Thanks in advance. Good luck to all of you !!!.....

If at all possible I urge you to keep whatever appointment you are given. Certainly you can reschedule (by putting the request in writing to USCIS DO), but they may forget to send you a new appointment...

I agree with boatbod. Anytime you get something from USCIS on time take it. They might make you wait a long time to get it again. If you can put that trip off for a while do it.

Newly

Thank you/ combined oath & interview..?

Thanks to both of your reply - boatbod & NewlyMinted

I did talk to the USCIS CS dept and they said there should be no problem in getting the oath date scheduled at any date in future.

I wonder why the oath date can't be same as the interview date in all states as they do in states like NJ, etc. ? Any idea ...why ..?

Thanks again.

ranipettaian said:
I wonder why the oath date can't be same as the interview date in all states as they do in states like NJ, etc. ? Any idea ...why ..?

Sometimes your interview is just too late in the day for you to be included in that day's oath ceremony.

Sometimes there is no ceremony that particular day.

Sometimes the IO isn't ready to approve you on the day on the interview.

The list of reasons why not is endless... actually I think you're pretty lucky if you DO get same day oath.

I had the same situation. Had interview on 04/26/2006 in Des Moines, IA. However had booked the tickets before the interview to travel to India in July 2006 and so requested the officer to have the oath ceremony after mid of August 2006. Also I and my wife wrote a letter to DO in Des Moines to postpone the oath ceremony and to have after August 15th 2006. I sent copy of tickets,price as a proof. After I came back from India, I received the oath letter in end of August to have the ceremony on September 15th 2006. We also had it last week. So you should be fine I guess. May be you can request in writing with some proof like tickets. Good Luck!...

vramakrishnan:
If you travelled to India between your interview and the oath ceremony, I am assuming they did not take away your GC at the interview? Is that correct that they took away the green card during your oath ceremony?

thanks!!

As Sachin said, you need to return the GC only during the oath ceremony. So for the travel like this situation you should be ok.

Possible gotchas include breaking your "continuous residence" (i.e. taking a greater than 6 month trip) and screwing up your physical presence (you still must meet the 30 months of the last 60 at the time you take the oath).

sachinphadke said:
The GC is never taken away at the interview. It is taken during the Oath Ceremony.

Not true. My GC ws taken from me after the interview because I was swearing in the same day.

Well, that really means it was taken at Oath, right? If you weren't swearing in that day, you'd still have had it. So, it is tied to Oath and not Interview.

GC/Naturalization Certificate/US Passport

Oath date(Tampa, FL) was 5 days after the interview.
GC was exchanged(taken) for Naturalization certificate.
Interview was very smooth. (6/7 questions to me and 2/3 questions to my wife but she had additional questions about her current employment status, etc. she quit a year ago)

Got our passport the next day from Miami (emergency travel to india within 10 days) and got Visa from Indian embassy the following day from Houston , TX.

Fortunately, things went smoothly.

Good luck to everyone. I hope this is helpful.