Oath & Passport

sns10

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Is is possible to apply for cdn passport and get it the same day as the oath ,i.e, after one gets the citizenship card?

priya75/raj009/iit123 - I'm currently in US on H1 after having lived & worked in Canada for 4 yrs ... similar to you guys. It would be of immense help if you could share the ppt application process you went through? What did you provide as permanent/mailing address on the ppt application form? US or Cdn address? Did you drop off & pick up the passport in person? Did you use "urgent" process? Did you return back same day or a few days later? Would it be better to drive across or fly? Any other useful info?

Thanks a bunch.

You can apply for passport either from US or Canada, it dosent matter which address you use. You can apply by mail too. See Passport Canada for all details/express service.

Is is possible to apply for cdn passport and get it the same day as the oath ,i.e, after one gets the citizenship card?

- No. The urgent service (the fastest) gives you the passport on the next day if you apply right after your oath (and if your oath is in the early morning).

- If you want the passport on the next day, you have to use the cdn address, since they do not mail the passport outside of Canada - if you apply in person in any passport Canada office in Canada.

If you want to get it in the US, you have to use a form "application for cdns in the US" and must apply to Hull, Quebec. In that case, you will get the passport within a month. Moreover, you have to send your original citizenship card with the application.

I had my oath yesterday morning and applied for passport in the afternoon. I would get my passport in 2 days under express scheme. They charge 30 dollars for it on top of 87$ for standard passport processing . I live in canada and hence had a canadian address .

bhand11683 said:
I had my oath yesterday morning and applied for passport in the afternoon. I would get my passport in 2 days under express scheme. They charge 30 dollars for it on top of 87$ for standard passport processing . I live in canada and hence had a canadian address .

Bhand,

So if you apply on Mon afternoon, you are scheduled to get it on Thurs? Or is it on Wed? Please explain, since my relative is also in the same position. How tough is it to get it in 2 days or if urgent service, 1 day? Do you have to give a reason for express/urgent service? Is it tough for us to convince them?

Please help...

sns10,

There is a same day passport for extreme emergency (i am not sure what would that mean exactly) but urgent is next day and stringent though their rules are, you get it the next day. You will require a canadian address for it. I had explicitly told my passport agent that I was in the US and had no canadian address, but he asked me to fill in my old address since the rules required canadian address. So I assume it's mere formality.

It doesn't matter whether you drive, fly, take the bus, via rail or even walk across the bridge. Once you have your citizenship card, it's all the same. Do as it suits you.

You could very well take your oath & then get back to the US and apply from that address. It will take 20 working days but it will be mailed to your house and you needn't worry about anything.

I work down in US so I just showed them my US visa and told them that I would need to move my I-94 to my New Passport and they agreed to give me a passport under the express scheme

i applied as urgent, i got it the next morning. i was travelling 2 weeks later but from US it would have taken me 4 weeks & the only category was urgent. no you don't have to convince them, they just verify every single contact of yours though. if you work in the US, something like you can't get another break to come into canada is also good enough reason to apply as urgent.

Thanks for your response, Priya. My relative was denied urgent passport - the office asked for the ticket whereas my relative just had an itenary. The ppt officer told my relative "that's how it is" when my relative tolde him "how can I buy a ticket without the ppt?"

But the passport office agreed for the express scheme - within 48 hours...
Seems different ppt offices have different criteria for "urgency" or may be the rules are changed recently..