Oath Letter returned

dgarstang

Registered Users (C)
Well, this sucks.

I am heading back to Australia to visit family on Dec 21. UCSIS sent me a request to attend my oath ceremony on Dec 17. Since the passport office could not guarantee that I could receive my passport by the 18th (the 19th and 20th are the weekend), I decided to send back the letter stating this, and to please reschedule me for a date after I return.

A number of people told me on this forum that I could pick up the passport the same day. However, the passport office web site AND the person I spoke to there both said within a few days. That's just too close to my flight.

Anyway, so I sent the letter registered USPS mail. I checked the status of it tonight and it failed to be delivered with a status of "Undeliverable as Addressed".... The address I sent it to was the one on the oath request letter, which was:

USCIS
1111 California (Masonic Center)
San Francisco CA 94108.

By the way, the oath letter is NOT clear. It just says that if I can't attend the oath ceremony to "return this notice immediately". Since there was no other address mentioned, I sent it to the address above. What gives?

Jeez, this is frustrating! I'm not sure if I have time to get it back now to them.

I think you should of send it to the DO address where you took the interview

Well, this sucks.

I am heading back to Australia to visit family on Dec 21. UCSIS sent me a request to attend my oath ceremony on Dec 17. Since the passport office could not guarantee that I could receive my passport by the 18th (the 19th and 20th are the weekend), I decided to send back the letter stating this, and to please reschedule me for a dthate after I return.

A number of people told me on this forum that I could pick up the passport the same day. However, the passport office web site AND the person I spoke to there both said within a few days. That's just too close to my flight.

Anyway, so I sent the letter registered USPS mail. I checked the status of it tonight and it failed to be delivered with a status of "Undeliverable as Addressed".... The address I sent it to was the one on the oath request letter, which was:

USCIS
San Francisco CA 94108.

By the way, the oath letter is NOT clear. It just says that if I can't attend the oath ceremony to "return this notice immediately". Since there was no other address mentioned, I sent it to the address above. What gives?

Jeez, this is frustrating! I'm not sure if I have time to get it back now to them.

Who told you to send it to the oath address? The 1800 number? Take the copy to the infopass and verify they receive it. You shouldn't leave until you resolve that.

By the way all the people I have spoken to have gotten their passport in a day. You shouldn't have listened to a website or phone rather look at peoples experience on this board.

wantmygcnow: I thought I was clear. I'll state it again.

From the letter, "If you cannot come to this ceremony, return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear"

The oath address is the _ONLY_ address ANYWHERE on the letter. Where ELSE could I send it?

What's DO and what's INFOPASS? Of course I am going to listen to the web site over people's personal experiences.

Who told you to send it to the oath address? The 1800 number? Take the copy to the infopass and verify they receive it. You shouldn't leave until you resolve that.

By the way all the people I have spoken to have gotten their passport in a day. You shouldn't have listened to a website or phone rather look at peoples experience on this board.

On my browser (I think it should be same for all), clicking on Infopass as part of the comment takes me to a predefined link. Since you are a moderator, I guess you have the privileges ... could you update the link to provide the Infopass phone number since this is a common request.

I can click on the infopass link. It takes me to a page that says "Is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD".

That doesn't help me much. What's a DO? What's an iEAD?

Well, this sucks.

I am heading back to Australia to visit family on Dec 21. UCSIS sent me a request to attend my oath ceremony on Dec 17. Since the passport office could not guarantee that I could receive my passport by the 18th (the 19th and 20th are the weekend), I decided to send back the letter stating this, and to please reschedule me for a date after I return.

USCIS
San Francisco CA 94108.

you can get passport the same day if you show them a ticket

you made a big mistake by sending the oath letter

i got passport the next day at san francisco passport office at hawthorne st

my friend got it at the same day because he was leaving the second day

WANT is correct, you should read people experiences at this forum

i will never trust customer service employess or calling the 1 800 number
they know nothing

I can click on the infopass link. It takes me to a page that says "Is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD".

That doesn't help me much. What's a DO? What's an iEAD?

My comment was for the moderators so that they can update INFOPASS / customer service number on that link.

DO - District Office - The office where you had your interview.

iEAD - Irrelevant to this discussion.

# to request INFOPASS appointment - 800 375 5283 - I might have picked it from an old thread ... but think it should work.

Sanjoseaug20: Sorry, don't follow you.... no visa is/was required?

I think your original post talked about you having an Australian passport now. Which means you will be a dual citizen after oath, and do not need to get a visa to enter Australia. That also means the only thing you need to do is to get a US passport which is less things than a lot of people require to do before travel.

you can get passport the same day if you show them a ticket
Getting it on the same day or next day is not guaranteed, even if you show an airline ticket. If they have a heavy workload (which can happen in the holiday season), or all the relevant data hasn't been transmitted by USCIS yet, or an employee is out sick, or any other glitch, that could cause delays.

jackolantern: Exactly, and that's a risk I won't want to take.

sanjoseaug20: When I attend the oath ceremony I have to surrender my green card. If I then leave the country, I do not have a green card OR passport to re-enter the US with. Bit tricky, don't you think? It's also a federal offence to enter the US if you are a citizen without showing your passport. Since I would have taken my oath ceremony, and therefore be a citizen, I'd be breaking the law if I re-entered the US say as an Aussie citizen on a tourist visa.

Dgarstang, now the main thing is to sort it out face to face at an infopass. This way you can be sure your case is not abondoned. If you have the contact of the officer that interviewed you, try to contact him.

Ok, so how do I do that? I still don't know what Infopass actually is. If I click on the infopass hyperlink in this thread, it takes me to a new page where it says Infopass is an online appointment. How do I find their number? Is there a real person I can speak to?

The emergency passport appointment number doesn't have a way to talk to a real person. Does the Infopass?

Doug

Ok, so how do I do that? I still don't know what Infopass actually is. If I click on the infopass hyperlink in this thread, it takes me to a new page where it says Infopass is an online appointment. How do I find their number? Is there a real person I can speak to?

The emergency passport appointment number doesn't have a way to talk to a real person. Does the Infopass?

Doug

Infopass is an online appointment system for your Local office. So go to http://infopass.uscis.gov

Enter your zip code and go through the steps(enter your address, name, a# etc), choose the option of case already filed. You will get an infopass, most likely wherever you had your interview. THere you can sort this out. Infopass is a way to find out about your case status face/face in front of an representative that can help you right there or point you to another office or guide you what needs to be done.

Emergency passport appointment only gives you the appointment which you can take and request to give you same day or next day passport. Ofcourse you are taking a risk that you may miss your trip..but its up to you.

I know people say that go and reschedule Oath if you don't need U.S Citizenship urgently but everyone can tell you that changing dates with USCIS is not as simple as changing dates with your doctor.

So up to you what you want to do. But my suggestion is that you sort this out before you go.

So, uhm.. I went and made an appointment with Infopass for tomorrow morning at 8:30am. It really isn't clear to me still what this is all for. Is Infopass just a general way of speaking to a real person about an issue?

The post office has not sent back my original Form N-445 document. All I have is a copy. I hope that will be good enough for them.

So, uhm.. I went and made an appointment with Infopass for tomorrow morning at 8:30am. It really isn't clear to me still what this is all for. Is Infopass just a general way of speaking to a real person about an issue?

The post office has not sent back my original Form N-445 document. All I have is a copy. I hope that will be good enough for them.

Yes its to meet an officer face to face. A real person.

The finger of fate is helping you. When you go for your infopass tomorrow - ASK TO GET THE OATH CEREMONY ON THE SAME DAY. Bring the airline ticket as evidence and if denied - ASK TO TALK TO THE SUPERVISOR (this is always your right to do so).

In any case - be cheerful and nice to everyone - things will work out for you - I promise.