oath letter received from san jose

pj007

Registered Users (C)
My wife had her interview on 10 March. She received her oath letter today for her ceremony on 26 May. She has to reach at 7:30 am. She has to take her green card and any other immigration docs she has. What does this mean?

How long will the ceremony take?

Her timeline

PD 26 May 2003
FP 2 July 2003
Interview 10 March 2004
Oath 26 May 2004.

This means that she will be a US cittizen on May 26.
The ceremony typically shouldn't exceed an hour during which she (along with others being sworn in) will be asked to take the naturalization oath and the pledge of allegiance.

This means, one INS person will read the oath & pledge of allegiance and everyone being sworn in will have to repeat after the INS person.

Before the oath, all people will have to fill in a brief 7 question form (with questions similar to those on N-400), sign the form, turn it in along with the original green card. Example of the 7 questions are: have you travelled outside the country after the interview, have you been arrested after the interview etc.

Then after the oath ceremony, they will receive a naturalization certificate, which has their photo, and which is proof of citizenship.

This original naturalization document will be required proof if you apply for a US passport. Therefore, make multiple copies of it, before handing it to a passport agency (just in case) which will keep it till the passport is processed.

The documents required for the oath ceremony are:
1. Green card
2. Oath letter/apointment
3. Document showing you passed interview
2. Drivers License (proof of identity)

Though not required, it wouldn't hurt to have all the docuemnts carried during the interview-again, just in case.

All the best for the interview.

Thanks for sharing that. However, what's the difference between the oath letter and the document that shows that we passed the interview?

Oath letter - Letter you receive asking you to appear for the ceremony at XXXXX place at XXXXXX XXXXX day and time.

Document that shows that we passed the interview - the doc that you receive from the officer after the citizenship interview stating whether you passed the interview and eligible for oath ceremony.

Cheers
BB :)

Thanks. I received my oath letter right after my interview. I guess the 2 letters you mentioned are 1 in the same for me.

No. You should still have received two docs after the interview.
1. After the interview, a document which has the "Congratulations....." box check marked.

2. Separate doc asking you to appear for the ceremony at XXXXX place at XXXXXX XXXXX day and time. This doc has 7 questions on it.

General question..

When u get an oath or interview letter, do u get it from ur local Dist office or Svc ctr?