Oath letter/Last name misspelled

VERA979

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone.
I have a question. Maybe someone had a similar exparience and can advise.
I recieved an Oath letter and my name is misspelled. They put an "I" insted of "Y" in my last name. I was wondering what should i do?
How bad is it? What should I do now?
Thank you!
VL

VERA979 said:
Hello everyone.
I have a question. Maybe someone had a similar exparience and can advise.
I recieved an Oath letter and my name is misspelled. They put an "I" insted of "Y" in my last name. I was wondering what should i do?
How bad is it? What should I do now?
Thank you!
VL

i hope it is just a misspelled on the oath letter. however, usually the oath letter match up with your name in the system, and it might have the misspelled name on the natz cert. if it is the case, it is no good because they have to correct the name on the cert and either mail to you or have you to pick up. (i am not sure how they would handle it at all).

The thing is though, that I requested a name change on my N400 and it will be not what it is now. So if what you are saying is true then they totally ignored my wish to change the name and will put my "OLD" name on the certificate.....

and one more thing that i find interesting is that ALL the other letters I recieved from USCIS during the whole process have my name spalled correctly, only this one is wron....I don't know how come...?????

It may help to call the court where you will have the oath ceremony ( at least in my city it is the court ). A person who deals there with oath ceremonies has for sure had that situation before. Chances are this was just a typo in that one letter ... and if not it must be fixable.

Alex

VERA979 said:
The thing is though, that I requested a name change on my N400 and it will be not what it is now. So if what you are saying is true then they totally ignored my wish to change the name and will put my "OLD" name on the certificate.....

Your naturalization certificate will have your new requested name during the naturalization interview. They cannot print your new name on the oath notification letter yet, since your new name is effective after you attend the judicial oath ceremony. Don't worry, they will ask you to verify your name on the naturalization certificate before you take your oath. Any name corrections are performed by the USCIS on site at the ceremony or they will ask you to pickup the certificate. Good luck.

Dont worry, if you remember during the interview the officer asked you to review all information, the spelling that would appear in your certificate, and ask you to sign your name.

I had the same problem, got my first name mis spelled, but when I got my certificate it is correct.During the oath I oath they even tell you to review your certificate properly and if found a mistake they can correct it on the spot. My DO is Detroit..

In your case you even requested a name change so I wont worry about the oath letter.

congrats,
abs49080

Make an appointment with INS & bring it to their attention.
If the name has been incorrect all along, this might be a cause of concern, but if it is only the oath letter then should not be a problem.

Since they will be issuing you a naturalization certificate with your name etc. on it, it becomes very important that you get this taken care of asap.

On a similar note I had my DOB incorrect in the letter I received from INS. I then realized that I had my dob incorrectly printed on my GC. I made an appointment before my interview. They stamped my passport & took my original gc. The interview officer made a note of this in the itnerview and everything went smooth in the oath ceremony as well.

All the best.