Oath Ceremony Postponement: URGENT QUESTION: Please help

Love

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends,

I got a letter of oath ceremony today (Jan 30, 2007) in Los Angeles for Feb 2nd, 2007. Unfortunately I cannot attend this date. The letter states that

" If you cannot come to this ceremoney, return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear. In such case, you will be sent another notice of ceremony at a later date. You must appear at an oath ceremony to complete the naturalization process"

Questions I have:

- Is it fine to postpone?
- Does anyone have any experience with postponing Oath Ceremony?
- How quickly does USCIS schedule for next one?

I will appreciate any advise on best way to handle this situation.

Regards

Love

Please do your best to attend the oath ceremony. The IO threatened my wife to withdraw the approval after my wife mentioned at the interview that she will be overseas during the proposed Oath date. IO mentioned that the Oath is more important that traveling overseas and if my wife insist on traveling on that day that will give the impression of no interest in the citizenship. The end result, we changed the air tickets for 4 people and paid 2600 ticket fare difference including penalties.
Best Regards,
Sams68

It would be in your best interest to postpone whatever you have going on that day to attend the oath.

I don't understand why you would even want to postpone it especially since it could pose delays in getting another oath letter. You are so close to being done. In my opinion, postpone whatever you have planned and attend the oath on Feb 2nd.

There are a lot of people desperately waiting to get their oath letters. I wouldnt want to miss that ONE chance of being naturalized....If you have the oath letter in hand, it's better to go ahead and attend it unless it's ABSOLUTELY impossible..

Please go to your oath ceremony is so important. It can take months to get a new one. Good luck to you!

Backup

Let's backup a little bit.

We don;t know what emergency the individual is having. I had same kinda situation few days back but I got my OATH postponed by two days.

NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

But as everyone has said, it is always better to keep with the date as far as possible. Trust me I was scared to ask IO about it but she turned out to be nicest IO I have ever met.

I had actually gone back to her on OATH date to personally Thank her!

First of all do your best to keep the oath. If you cannot then schedule an InfoPass and ask then the procedure to delay to a resonable date. If that does not work then send in the delay notice. Be aware that your oath may be delayed as much as 3-6 months. If that is OK with you then go ahead with the rescheduling.

At my interview, the IO said "there's an oath on XXX and on YYY, which one works for you". I picked the first.

My advice is the same as N400Applier's: do your best, but if you can't make it, follow the instructions. The instructions aren't there to lure you into some bad situation.

However, you must realize that once you get off the "fast track", anything can happen. The advice to take an Infopass might be good - depending on circumstances, they may give you a new oath date on the spot (of course, they might not too).

More Information for Everyone

The recommendation NOT to postpone is absolutely right!

I checked with few sources including some who work for USCIS and it was advised that in order to prevent your file from going into a dark hole, this is the best course of action. I was scheduled to fly out and take a training for 60 people who were flying in from different places - but given no choice and such a 3-4 days short notice from USCIS to take oath - I went ahead and postponed the other event (disappointing a lot of people) and am going forward with the Oath. There are horror stories out there in the way things can mess up. I have come across people who have got tired writing letters to Congressman to request help and have yet to get it.

Friends. DO NOT DELAY OATH at any cost. Those who were able to reach I/O and speak about the new date were lucky and had the benefit of a good officer. Everyone may not have that benefit. A lot depends on whom you meet and how well they are willing to understand your problem in USCIS.

Yep!

Love is absolutely correct. I think I lucked out since I had such a nice IO, she was one of the 1% people who really care about your USC. Unless it is life and death situation please DO NOT POSTPONE>>>

two things

if you are not dead then atttttteeeenndddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
people are dying to atttend their oath who knows when ...
so do nottttt delay no matter what ..
turk 75