Oath ceremony New Orleans Louisiana

durgum

Registered Users (C)
I passed the citizenship exam on 02/28/2002 and have been waiting since then for the oath ceremony. Its been almost 7 months and there seems to be no sign of the oath letter. whenever i go to the INS new orleans louisiana I get informed that it may take 2 months or 5 years to get the oath letter. though I had to give the the INS my divorce certificate and my new marriage certificate on 03/14/2002 as they asked me just after passing the exam. can anyone advice/ inform me about these kinds of extreme delays for the oath ceremony please!

Were you given an N-14 and asked to provide additional documents ?

I am not sure how long does it normally take for such cases but if you do know of others getting their oath letter after the interview (who had it around the same time), that would tell if the additional documents has caused this delay.

Also, when you go to the local INS office personally, do they look into yuor file or is taht a standard answer (2 months to 5 years) ?

Sorry, I know not much help.

Originally posted by durgum
I passed the citizenship exam on 02/28/2002 and have been waiting since then for the oath ceremony. Its been almost 7 months and there seems to be no sign of the oath letter. whenever i go to the INS new orleans louisiana I get informed that it may take 2 months or 5 years to get the oath letter. though I had to give the the INS my divorce certificate and my new marriage certificate on 03/14/2002 as they asked me just after passing the exam. can anyone advice/ inform me about these kinds of extreme delays for the oath ceremony please!

As far as I can remember I was given a small paper and the officer wrote that he needs my divorce certificate and my new marriage certificate. Note that I got my gc on 04/21/1996 through MY JOB and my first wife also given a gc through me. She divorced me on 11/11/1997 and i went to India and got remarried on 02/21/2002 just 37 days before the citizenship exam. The INS New orleans does not seem to be conducting oath ceremonies for those who had passed the exams with or after me as far as I can see. Even the INS officer mentioned that many have been finger printed again(after 15 months and after passing the exam) lately. Only last week I was made to wait for 2 hours and then the officer evidently pulled up my file and said that wait for 2 more months before enquiring again.When asked that if my divorce was causing the delay I was told that that was not the reason for the delay.Any way 7 months is a long time waiting for the oath.

The officer pulled out your file but could not tell you what the reason for the dealy was ?

Here in Oakland CA, I know of at least 2 cases late last year where they got interviewed and got the swearing-in letter within a couple of weeks. In my case its only been about 3 weeks so far since I sent them the additional document they needed.

So I am not sure if going to the local INS office now would be of any help or should I just wait for a month or so. Even then I am not sure if they are even going to let me know what the status is. All I want to know is how long will it take so I can make travel arrangements. (Maybe thats too much to ask !!!)

Yes the officer pulled out my file after 2 hours of waiting and told me to give it some more time like till thanksgiving and also said she couldnt promise anything. I see 7 months is a long wait for the oath ceremony . But by what I gather I guess New Orleans IS taking that long and I'am afrais that it may take even longer.My wife is waiting in India eagerly wanting to join me and that all depends on my certificate of citizenship.

What I don't understand is -- all processing after the interview happens at the local office. So, why couldn't she tell you exactly what the delay was about. If she can't tell you then who can ?

I know it must be tough. Good Luck and keep us posted.

What is I-140 with your case. If INS asks me for that I-140 I dont have it with me (even a copy). Would like to clarify please

I-140 is the immigrant petition filed by the employer that is doing the GC.

Luckily I had a copy of my I-140 and since they seemed to have misplaced that document and in my interview, I mentioned to him that I have a copy at home, he asked me to send it to them. (which I did).

You may want to check with your employer who filed for the I-140 or the lawyer to see if they have a copy. The INS might not even ask you but if you are worried, see if you can that document.

But in your case, they asked you to just send the marriage cert. and thats it right ? Hopefully that should be enough and they will call you for the swearing-in.

Originally posted by durgum
What is I-140 with your case. If INS asks me for that I-140 I dont have it with me (even a copy). Would like to clarify please

My I-140 was approved way back in 1995 june 7 years ago . I dont have any documents from my greencard at all as I did all the gc process by myself and I didnt go through a lawyer .My employer doesnt have any documents of my greencard as far as I know since it is a very small company. So Please tell me how do I get my I-140 in case the INS asks me for one.

I keep all the documents from way back.. Even I was under the impression that once you get your GC, all the documents that lead up to your GC are perhaps irrelevant but I guess, until you get your C'ship, INS can ask for any documents. I wish I had taken all those documents with me for the interview... :-(

I am really not sure how can you get a copy of I-140. You may want to check with a lawyer.. But most likely you won't need to worry about it.

If they just asked you to provide your marriage cert. and if you have already sent it to them, that should be good enough.