Oath Ceremony Details - at Dearborn -Chicago US District Court -pls share your exp

DreamUSA

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

My wife is scheduled for an oath ceremony at Dearborn street -Chicago based US Ditrict Court instead of USCIS office (this is due to name change)

We are not sure if it is worth to take kids from school for the event. Mine was at USCIS office and it was a well-organized ceremony: Nice speeches, video show, patriotic songs and finished/followed by Obama's address to a new citizens. Frankly, it was a really cool. I was wondering if the ceremony at District Court in Dearborn street in Chicago follows the same model or it is more boring, too formal (may not be fun for kids)....

Please share your experience.

Thank you

Mine was at the the fedral court on dearborn. We didn't hear any patriotic songs or saw any video shows or messages from Obama. However, the process who exciting, and you can trust me that it will be even more organised at the court room than at the USCIS bulding. When the judge arrives, you have to follow all the court processes. A motion is opened, etc... The judge then gave a nice speech and personally handed out the citizenship certificate and allowed to take a picture whith her while handing out the certificate and shaking hands (The IO said that he had know only two judges that personally shook hands and handed out the certificate). The whole ceremony (motion, oath, speech) did not take more than 7 minutes and an additional 20 minutes to call everyone and hand them their certificates. The longest time was for everyone to check in and be seated.
Depends if your kids are old enough to appreciate the court process and their mom becoming a US Citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guju...This helps...This will be interesting for them....they never been in court...it will be cool for them to see a Judge and witness at 1st hand- mom -becoming US Citizen.

Do they allow Photo Camera or Video cameras ? I know some courts are strict about that...

They will not allow you to record or take photos during the oath ceremony or even before the ceremony starts, only after the ceremony when the certificates are handed out then depending on the judge you will be allowed to take a pic or not in the court room. You can always take photos in the lobby anytime, no issues there. The IO will let you know if you are allowed to take photos or not.