Oath Ceremony and Employment

topaz123

Registered Users (C)
I am supposed to have my interview next month. Because of some problems at work, I may not be able to hold on to my job for long. I hope I can make it till my interview date. If for some unfortunate reason, I am let go, or if I have to quit after my interview, will there be any problems at the oath ceremony? What about when applying for a passport? Can I just mention I am self-employed and looking when taking the oath and applying for a passport? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

By the way, does anyone have any details on what exactly are the questions asked at an oath ceremony?

Nothing to worry about (other than being unemployed). You don't need a job to become a citizen. Just update your employment history with your end date. If you loose your job after the interview, but before your oath, you don't need to tell anyone (I think - it has been a while since I looked at the oath letter questions). And, unemployed people can apply for passports.

From what I have read on this forum, I believe that the questions for the Oath Ceremony are meant to provide an update allowing the USCIS to verify that you have maintained your eligibility in terms of good moral character, attachment to the Constitution, continuous residence etc. - anything relevant to the decision to approve your application to become a citizen

Yes, in fact there is definitely no oath ceremony question along the lines "are you employed or have you changed employers recently" ;)

The employment questions asked during interview are intended to provide backup information on your residency and former GC sponsorship etc. There is no penalty if you aren't currently working!

Changing employers

Thanks. The last response brings up an interesting question. I had changed employers twice after getting my GC, all within the same field. Will that have a negative impact on my interview? I did stay on for 3 years with the same employer who sponsored my GC before changing jobs. (EB2 category).

Thanks. The last response brings up an interesting question. I had changed employers twice after getting my GC, all within the same field. Will that have a negative impact on my interview? I did stay on for 3 years with the same employer who sponsored my GC before changing jobs. (EB2 category).
During my Interview the officer was interested in knowing whether I worked for my GC sponsoring employer after getting GC. I said "Yes". She asked me for dates which I provided. Thats it. No documents were asked. Neither was I asked why I quit.

For GC's before AC 21 rules, the officer is interested in knowing whether you worked for the GC sponsoring employer or not.

Sounds ok to me.

Job mobility and Oath questions

Yes, I worked for 3 years for the same employer after I got my GC, for a total of almost 6 years for that employer. However, given that nowadays job security is not there, I would think not many people would work for the same employer for 5 years after getting their GC. Marriage, layoffs, burnout, low pay, mergers etc can cause people to change jobs before that. I hope the interview officer realizes the current situation.

Thanks for the responses on this forum. I am now somewhat more confident of handling this at the interview.
By the way, can someone point me to the list of questions asked at the Oath Ceremony? I could not locate this on this forum. Thanks.

During my Interview the officer was interested in knowing whether I worked for my GC sponsoring employer after getting GC. I said "Yes". She asked me for dates which I provided. Thats it. No documents were asked. Neither was I asked why I quit.

For GC's before AC 21 rules, the officer is interested in knowing whether you worked for the GC sponsoring employer or not.

Successful Interview experience at Boston Monday July 16, 2007

I had my interview in Boston on Monday, and it was far different from other interviews that I have read on here. It was over in something like 15 minutes. Maybe I got an IO in a good mood that morning. I was dressed formally, and came prepared but did not need anything except my GC, Passport, Drivers License and Interview Letter.

My interview was scheduled to take place at 10.30am. There was a delay of 15 minutes after which I was called in, maybe due to the large crowd of about 50 people present. I was invited into a small office and asked to stand and take an oath that I would be truthful. We then sat down and he went through my application and read aloud each item and asked me to confirm all points. I am still employed, so there were no issues on the employment front. I had been pulled over for an expired inspection sticker last year, but I did not bother to include it on the application. I was not asked about it either. We then breezed through the rest of the questions. I was asked to write a simple sentence and read it aloud. Then he asked me 6 civics questions, I got it all correct, and he did not ask me the remaining 4.

He told me at the end I had passed. I signed my name at the end on the N400. We gossiped about the weather and travel for a couple of minutes while he updated my application on his computer. He then told me I could collect my Oath Letter in the waiting hall after 15 minutes and led me back out. All in all, smooth as butter. He did not even look at my passport even though I had been out for a couple of months to Europe on business trips, and had traveled extensively to my home country over the last 5 years.

I was very polite, respectful, smiling and very attentive. Maybe this made a difference, I do not know for sure. But I will be having my Oath ceremony in exactly one month and now I do not care even if I lose my job. I plan to look for a better one anyway, and now I have the freedom to. Thanks to everyone for responding to this thread, and now I just a few steps away from becoming a US citizen. I am really glad things went so smoothly!

Congratulations topaz123! Believe it or not, I think most interview experiences are like yours, which is pretty much like mine. Problem is that many people write in this forum when things have gone sour, but not when they are good. I am sure there is a lot of people reading this forum who have had good interview experiences but choose not to write about them here.
I think most interviewers are polite, but there are also some that aren't. I'm glad you ended up with a nice interviewer.

Congratulations, Topaz123, most IOs are pretty reasonable I think. Treat them with the respect they deserve and things almost always go well unless there are difficult or ambiguous circumstances.

Now I noticed something strange on my Oath Letter. I am asked to bring GC and "Reentry Permit". I do not have any "Reentry Permit" with me. So what should I do?

The reference to a "Reentry Permit" is a standard on the Oath letter, although it does not apply to you.

Got my naturalization certificate

Alright, it is official now. I am a naturalized US citizen, and have my Naturalization Certificate. I also still have my job. And yes, no one asked me at the Oath Ceremony if I am employed or not :) I have applied for my passport and should receive it in 2-3 weeks. Now I can travel across the country in search of a good job, without having to file AR-11's or deal with other such issues. Happy ending to a long journey. Freedom at last!