Oath ceremoney

ouhsc92

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

Can any of you post your Oath ceremoney experiance? especially do's and don't etc.
Thanks,

Hi,

For Oath you can take your family memebrs & friends. First they will call all the applicants for sitting arragement, packet of inforamtion (including oath paper) already kept on your seat, once everybody sits they will call family members & friends to watch. Your family members or friends can take pictures and video. Everybody stand and read oath together. Once it is done they will call each name and hand over the Naturalization certificate - exit .

Hello Friends,

Can any of you post your Oath ceremoney experiance? especially do's and don't etc.
Thanks,

Dos -

1. Arrive early enough to ensure that you get parking space - it can be bad if this is a large public ceremony.
2. Keep your passport application ready with the photos and a check - there will be plenty of rush at the passport booth. I screwed up and did not bring my check.
3. They also hand out and accept the voter registration forms at the venue. I did not want to fill out one during or after the ceremony - you could check if there's one online that you can complete and drop it off after the oath ceremony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

For Oath you can take your family memebrs & friends. First they will call all the applicants for sitting arragement, packet of inforamtion (including oath paper) already kept on your seat, once everybody sits they will call family members & friends to watch. Your family members or friends can take pictures and video. Everybody stand and read oath together. Once it is done they will call each name and hand over the Naturalization certificate - exit .

They do not allow any video or photos last time I went to an oath @ courthouse in Manhattan... not even outside !!!

They do not allow any video or photos last time I went to an oath @ courthouse in Manhattan... not even outside !!!

We were told that we should conduct ourselves as though we were in the courtroom with the exception that taking pictures was allowed. We were asked to turn off cell phones, remove head gear and put away those lunch sandwiches, etc. Actually the speaker encouraged us to take pictures as this was a special occasion in our lives.

Yes, I thought it sounded weird not to be able to take pictures. Imagine all the people that wanted to take pictures.-

I had my oath ceremony in Austin yesterday and it was a great experience. There were 820 people becoming US citizens. There were no restrictions on camera or anything.. in fact they had the local TV crew from Univision (i think they are mexican tv channel) and just a very festive atmosphere. They had singers performing the national anthem and few other patriotic songs.
It was very well done and I was moved by the whole experience.

My oath was at the Federal Courthouse in Brooklyn. Not only was filming/photographing prohibited, everyone had to turn in their cell phones, in exchange for which we were given numbers to reclaim the cell phones after the ceremony.

Just follow the instructions that is being told before the ceremony. You should be fine. There will be others along with you to take oath.

i had my oath ceremony earlier this week in fairfax, va.

when you arrive, you go through security as usual. you come into a room and line up according to the last digits of your A-number. they have you submit and sign your N-445 form and also have you verify the information on your naturalization certificate.

you're provided a packet with the declaration of independence, constitution, and another book with important points in american history. i was impressed that i remembered a lot of this stuff from my american history class in 11th grade (that was a while a go :eek:). the packet also has your seat number on it.

then you go upstairs, find your seat, and wait for everyone to get seated. then the oath itself takes about half an hour - there is a little speech, a short movie featuring george w., and a video set to "i'm proud to be an american" which you might remember being recorded shortly after the events of 9/11. then you're called up one by one and handed your certificate and you are on your way.

voter registration forms were provided and collected at our location, but not passport applications. it's easy enough to either visit the passport office (if you're traveling within the next couple of weeks) or your local post office - the lines will usually be shorter there than if you line up with the others who just got their naturalization.

i think there were less than 100 people at the ceremony. some people brought guests with them, had pictures taken, and so forth.

-s

Kinda same at the San Antonio ceremony. We were allowed to take a photograph with the judge after the ceremony, if so inclined. The lines were too long for my liking, so I skipped that. I would add one note of caution to applying for passport at the oath ceremony (if available). The chances of them loosing your Nat Cert are high when you have hundreds of folks applying at the same counter one after another. I would make a copy of the cert before applying for passport (at any location, more so at the oath ceremony).