Oakland Interview & Oath Procedure

Naaz2004

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys:

Please share your interview and oath experience in Oakland-CA. I have heard that in Oakland the oath ceremony is on same day of interview... is this true? If not, how long more you had to wait to get oath notice afte interview? What kind of test and questions are common in Oakland office? Please share and help. Thanks :)

My interview is on Oct 14 in oakland. :D

Oakland Timeline

This is my timeline and experience for you to get a reference!

Region: San Francisco, CA (Oakland Field Office)
Mailed: April 20th,2005
PD: April 25th,2005
FP: June 3rd, 2005
Interview notice: June 25th or so...
Interview: August 22, 2005
Oath Ceremony: September 27th :eek:

The interview went well. The interviewing officer went over my application in great detail. All questions on the form, addresses, dates, one by one...I found it a little bit unusual, but she was polite...She went over all my tax papers in great detail...(I owed some taxes) She asked some of the questions twice or more. I just focused to answer them in detail...specially my addresses and employers... I could not remember exact dates... I have moved over 5 times, and changed employer 3 times. She also went over all my passport entries, one by one against passport stamps... It was a thourough interview but in all, less than 15-20 minutes. The civics questions were printed on a form, she asked me to read them and answer them outloud....
At the end, she asked me to sign in cursive letters and not like my original signature. It was a bit odd, since I do not write cursive.... She asked me to sign my photographs in the same manner.

I passed, got the N-652 with the standard 'congratulations....
Oath: The N-562 says ' If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony'......
I asked about the Oath ceremony, and she explained to me that the dates were pre-arranged. It is my believe that people who have early AM appointments are given the option to have the ceremony on the same day. I have also read in this forum, that some people walked with the oath ceremony paper in their hands! I really do not know the protocol, but I believe that an early appointment time improves the chances of either two scenarios mentioned above.

I wish you luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
here's my timeline...my fingerprint and interview were done in oakland, CA.

(3 years marriaged based n-400)
mail app: march 26, 05
USCIS rvcd date/priority date: march 28,05
fingerprint #1: may 13, 05
fingerprint #2: (rvcd notice saying #1 is not clear): june 15, 05
interview notice rvcd: july 7, 05
interview: aug 4, 05

Regarding same day oath in Oakland. I don't believe so since officer showed me a print-out and there are 2 oaths scheduled each month. Oakland is a mirror office of SF, so Oakland oath schedule would be the same as SF.
However, I did see officer handed-in oath notice for those who recommended for approval on the way out.

10 civil questions asked, they are all from the 100 sample on CIS website.
wish you luck :)

germana said:
This is my timeline and experience for you to get a reference!

Region: San Francisco, CA (Oakland Field Office)
Mailed: April 20th,2005
PD: April 25th,2005
FP: June 3rd, 2005
Interview notice: June 25th or so...
Interview: August 22, 2005

The interview went well. The interviewing officer went over my application in great detail. All questions on the form, addresses, dates, one by one...I found it a little bit unusual, but she was polite...She went over all my tax papers in great detail...(I owed some taxes) She asked some of the questions twice or more. I just focused to answer them in detail...specially my addresses and employers... I could not remember exact dates... I have moved over 5 times, and changed employer 3 times. She also went over all my passport entries, one by one against passport stamps... It was a thourough interview but in all, less than 15-20 minutes. The civics questions were printed on a form, she asked me to read them and answer them outloud....
At the end, she asked me to sign in cursive letters and not like my original signature. It was a bit odd, since I do not write cursive.... She asked me to sign my photographs in the same manner.

I passed, got the N-652 with the standard 'congratulations....
Oath: The N-562 says ' If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony'......
I asked about the Oath ceremony, and she explained to me that the dates were pre-arranged. It is my believe that people who have early AM appointments are given the option to have the ceremony on the same day. I have also read in this forum, that some people walked with the oath ceremony paper in their hands! I really do not know the protocol, but I believe that an early appointment time improves the chances of either two scenarios mentioned above.

I wish you luck!!!!

Thanks Germana!

"and she explained to me that the dates were pre-arranged."

So if that was the case then she should have told you the oath date... Were u told to just wait for it or she told u the date? If not, I hope u get it soon and please share when that happens. Thanks much again!!!!

N-400 Oakland - Oath Ceremony

She said that I would receive the notice by email, and she did not give me a date. Technically the notice says that she recommends my case to be approved, but her 'supervisor' had to 'officially' approve it. From what I have read in this and other forums, basically my case has been approved...I have not received anything, but it has only been a few days....I will keep you posted!

Good Luck!

germana said:
She said that I would receive the notice by email, and she did not give me a date. Technically the notice says that she recommends my case to be approved, but her 'supervisor' had to 'officially' approve it. From what I have read in this and other forums, basically my case has been approved...I have not received anything, but it has only been a few days....I will keep you posted!

Thanks Germana for the information. I wish you get the oath letter very soon.
Good luck!!!

Any other experiences with others in Oakland office regarding timeline between interview and oath is much appreciated. Please share your timelines. Thanks much

germana said:

Hi Germana, have you received your oath letter yet? Please update us. Thanks!

cookie99 said:
here's my timeline...my fingerprint and interview were done in oakland, CA.

(3 years marriaged based n-400)
mail app: march 26, 05
USCIS rvcd date/priority date: march 28,05
fingerprint #1: may 13, 05
fingerprint #2: (rvcd notice saying #1 is not clear): june 15, 05
interview notice rvcd: july 7, 05
interview: aug 4, 05

Regarding same day oath in Oakland. I don't believe so since officer showed me a print-out and there are 2 oaths scheduled each month. Oakland is a mirror office of SF, so Oakland oath schedule would be the same as SF.
However, I did see officer handed-in oath notice for those who recommended for approval on the way out.

10 civil questions asked, they are all from the 100 sample on CIS website.
wish you luck :)

Hi cookie, are you done with your oath by now? Please update us. Thanks :)

Naaz2004

hi Naaz2004, I haven't received the oath letter yet. I will hang on to this for another week then I will ask at the DO.
Btw, I did have a 2nd interview on 9/1. You may check my other thread which I posted my experience there.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks.

SFO oath Ceremony calender

cookie99 said:
hi Naaz2004, I haven't received the oath letter yet. I will hang on to this for another week then I will ask at the DO.
Btw, I did have a 2nd interview on 9/1. You may check my other thread which I posted my experience there.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks.

Thanks cookie99.

I found out that San Francisco conducts oath ceremonies twice a month but I don't know if oakland conducts separate oath ceremonies ? If it does, then where? can any one help with the ceremony calender for oakland??? Or is it that Oakland and SFO has just have one joint ceremonies which is in masonic center, sfo????

Here I have found the oath cermony calenders/Dates for SFO and want to share if it helps any one:

http://www.sfelections.org/outreach/calendar.html#10

http://www.masonicauditorium.com/calendar.html

http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/msc/announce/SFMuniUSCISNaturalizationCeremony.htm

Please share for Oakland if any. Thanks

oath will be in SF

hi Naaz2004, we will have oath ceremony in SF masonic center. There is no seperate oath in Oakland. I got a flyer about this from the officer so I am pretty sure about the answer.

Oakland Interview done!!! :)

Just un update to this thread aswell so that it might help someone out there.

My interview was like they made me wait for 2 hours and called me the last very person and I saw people coming out failling and that made me more nervous but finally I was in there sitting in front of the officer.
So, I did not take my marriage certificate with me as I thought it has no relevance to my interview but I was asked about it, oh no, I got a shock as I was about to make go back and send it and wait and get delayed but thank God and luckily I had other evidance of my marriage and showed that to officer and fortunately she accepted it and crossed the form she was about to give me and send me back -- what a relief, but I was really mad at myself for not taking it with me in spite of being super careful. Ok, then she asked 10 civic Qs and of course reviewed and asked all Qs from N400 and finllay asked me to write a sentence and sign my name on the form and my photos and said congrats , u passed! :)

Now waiting for oath and she said I should get it within a month. :D

Good luck to all!

naaz

ps. take with you every document even if they are not mentioned on the notice as at the interview they can ask and if u dont have it, there, u get stuck unnecessary and need to resend and etc. I was being too careful to have everything with me even my boarding passes but still did not think that my Marriage certificate will be asked as I am not applying based on my marriage. So take all docs u have even though u think it has no relevance.

HELP!November Oath date and expedite

Hi. I would like to find out what date have oath ceremony in SF on the month of November. I went to check Mosaic center site , they are still not posting the date yet.
And, is there any way to expedite oath ceremony after the interview? On the inerview date, can I wait for a paperwork for oath and can they post for next available date? Does anybody know or has experience?
Do you think sending a letter with expanation why I need to expedite from my lawyer in advance will help??
Please advice.

makisushi

I guess the pattern of the oath dates would be the Tuesday of 2nd week and 4th week of the month at Masonic SF...(rarely case would be Friday)
as far as expediting the oath...I don't have any experience on that, hopefully there are some other members can give you an answer.
good luck

Oakland USINS !! - Any more Interview Experiences - Please post.

Hello,

If anyone have more interview experiences at Oakland USINS, please post. Thanks...

Here's my timeline -

July 6, 2005 Sent N-400 application via USPS Express mail
July 7, 2005 Application reached USINS Laguna Niguel, CA
July 7, 2005 Priority Date/ Receipt Date
July 11, 2005 Received "Returned Receipt" back
July 13, 2005 Checks cleared
July 18, 2005 Letter received from USINS with Priority Date as 07/07
August 2, 2005 Fingerprinting Letter received
Aug 10, 2005 Fingerprinting Date
???? FP received by FBI
???? FP sent to USCIS by FBI
14-Sep-05 Interview Letter Notice Date
20-Sep-05 Interview Letter received
???? Case be able to add online
9-Nov-05 Interview Date - SCHEDULED at 1301 Clay St. Oakland, CA

Thanks,
Goodyman

Smooth sailing at Oakland UCSIS

Got my interview today at Oakland USCIS on Clay St. Lots of 2 hour metered parking nearby for $2.50.

The interview was very fast - lasting about 5 minutes and felt very hurried. You can stress out about bring all the stuff that "Johnny Cash" recommends if you are paranoid, but I was only asked for what they wanted me to bring - so don't stress out if you don't have that tax filing from 5 years ago.
- appointment letter
- green card
- all passports that show my travel in and out of US (including expired ones)
- drivers license

One thing that the examiner asked that I had failed to find anywhere else. What company did I work out before the 5 years that the N400 required and from when to when.

Oath ceremony in San Fran on March 21st.

good luck

Peter

plumeria said:
Got my interview today at Oakland USCIS on Clay St. Lots of 2 hour metered parking nearby for $2.50.

The interview was very fast - lasting about 5 minutes and felt very hurried. You can stress out about bring all the stuff that "Johnny Cash" recommends if you are paranoid, but I was only asked for what they wanted me to bring - so don't stress out if you don't have that tax filing from 5 years ago.
- appointment letter
- green card
- all passports that show my travel in and out of US (including expired ones)
- drivers license

One thing that the examiner asked that I had failed to find anywhere else. What company did I work out before the 5 years that the N400 required and from when to when.

Oath ceremony in San Fran on March 21st.

good luck

Peter

Congrats !!!

just a question - Did you ask the date for the oath and rgdless, did they even tell you
upfront about the exact date ??? My interview is on March 17th and so just wanted to find out whether I could inquire about the same as well

thanks

They told me upfront the date at the end of the interview and asked if I was available. I, of course, said yes!

You may end up on the same date as me - March 21st or the one afterwards.. amazing how fast it is.

peter

Any recent experinces @ Oakland.

My interview is on Sep 19th. I am hoping I will get in for the oath on 26th.

Thanks
Aloha

My timeline
App sent - May 29
FP done - June 16
Int date - Sep 19 (Oak)