NYC immigrant fights green card red tape

poongunranar

Registered Users (C)
There are no FIFO (First-In-First-Out) rules at INS for green-card processing. What is more frightening is that they lose files of applicants, etc. Here is a latest article that spells the woes with the INS, especially for Green-Card applicants. Most of these observations tally with my own at the local District Office -- this only shows that the indifference and apathy is universal when it comes to INS.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-imm1031,0,6527149.story?coll=ny-nynews-headlines

Some highlights:
  1. They gaped at the extreme clutter in the Immigration Office, bureaucracy central for immigrants desperately seeking legal status. They could barely believe it, they said. Applications for green cards littered the tile floor. In the center of the unoccupied room stood a shopping cart overflowing with still more completed forms.
  2. What the couple endured in actuality, they said, was a seven-year odyssey fraught with misdirection, disorder and condescension -- or "skeptical disdain. For a middle-class person like myself, who had never intersected with such an inefficient and hostile government service as this one, it was shocking," Gurvitch said.
  3. But the Immigration and Naturalization Service, as the federal agency then was called, wasn't exactly known for speed or alacrity, and the agency lost her application despite cashing her $360 check, she said.
  4. While they had relative advantages when compared with other applicants -- knowledge of English and the know-how to push against unwarranted resistance -- they said they endured six daylong waits on the infamously long line outside 26 Federal Plaza, and encountered a surprising amount of indifference and disarray typified by that vacant office with the stuffed shopping cart and green-card applications strewn on the floor.

Good article, and it shows how much ignorance exists about the facts:

"Despite President George W. Bush's promise during the 2000 presidential campaign to cut immigrants' waiting time for green cards and citizenship to one year, combined, the wait still takes three times as long, Gurvitch said."

In fact, even the last step, the filing of I485 takes almost 2.5 times that much... On average...

"A spokesman, Chris Bentley, said the president's goals are now on target for 2006"

Which is absolutely not true, because for that, the I485 processing wait should have been 20 months on Oct 1 2004 (=FY2005), not the 29 months it is now. They are in fact already 45% behind schedule!

And is help on the way?

At all?

Great Article from great man Poongunranar

It is really wonderful article, a must read story. I have a question for Poongunranar. If I hire an independent immigration attorney- whether my current Employer and my company attorney, who petitioned my I-485 on September 15,2003 will able to find out about my intention of hiring new independent immigration attorney. Please reply at your own convenience.

srbose

I don't think they will know. However, even if they do, it shouldn't matter to them. Right? You are paying for the services of your attorney who should be able to file a G-28 on your behalf.