NYC Federal Plaza Interview Today

NYC400

Registered Users (C)
My interview time was 10:50AM,got there at 10:30AM,interview was finish at about 11:30AM. Fast and easy.

One problem,since I was not working and attending college,I had to get a affidavit of support from my GF.

On the interview result,she checked both that application recommended for approval and decision cannot be made.

She explain that I have to get the affidavit of support,I took it back at 2:15PM, hand it in and they told me they will send me oath appt in the mail.

Sorry,this is my timeline"

N400:06/2003
FP: 08/2003
Redo FP: 02/2005
Interview:06/16/2005
Oath: Waiting

martin307 said:
so do you mean your application was approved after you submitted the "support" doc.?

Yes,they say they will send me letter in the mail.I hope that will be pretty soon. I am waiting to jump on that plane.

question

Hi,
why do we need affidavit of support for n400.As long as you file taxes regularly,that is enough.Your employment status is not required.Only if you are sponsoring for someone,do you need affidavit of support.So I was a bit surprised that the officer asked you for the affidavit.Even in the N400 application there is no mention of any affidavit of support.

rajtheking said:
Hi,
why do we need affidavit of support for n400.As long as you file taxes regularly,that is enough.Your employment status is not required.Only if you are sponsoring for someone,do you need affidavit of support.So I was a bit surprised that the officer asked you for the affidavit.Even in the N400 application there is no mention of any affidavit of support.

I was surprise too,on the paper that she give me where it tells u what document u are missing,that affidavit was not there. She check other and write that in herself.

The document that I t hought was the most important,the letter from the IRS stating that I owed taxes and paid off most of it,she did not even ask me for that. I had to remind her at the end that I have it.....then she took it from me.
:confused: :confused: :eek:

During my interview the officer asked me questions about a trip that was over 6 months. I told him that I studied abroad but had a re-entry permit for the trip. Asked if he wanted it, he replied that it was not necessary. However, he asked for proof that I was a student while I was away. I'm 22 years old now and was 16/17 during my trip, what else would I be doing? Plus, I listed the name of the school, contact details, and dates attended on the application.

Except for certain categories; otherwise providing an 'Affidavit of Support' form is mandatory at the time of green card process. But this issue is completely mute and is definitely not required at the time of Naturalization process.

Having an employment is not a requirement to be naturalized. However, if someone has no visible means of income for whatever reasons like because of not working or etc. then it is the job of USCIS to find out how such person is supporting himself/herself in the absence of any visible income. And if someone would not come up with a reasonable reason for this then USCIS automatically presume that such person might either working off the book (under the table) or involved in a "shady" business like drug dealing or illegal gambling, etc. And then USCIS would deny the naturalization application for such a person because of having a bad character. That's why, USCIS usually ask for an Affidavit from a person who has been supporting the applicant when applicant has/had no income, but it is not the same type of 'Affidavit of Support' form which people need at the time of green card process, instead it is merely a simple Affidavit. Be noted, USCIS ask for Affidavit only when an applicant mentions that s/he is either employed or a student. Some officers may ignore this, but mostly do ask for an Affidavit from someone about saying that that person has been supporting the applicant when applicant has no income.

NYC400 said:
Yes,they say they will send me letter in the mail.I hope that will be pretty soon. I am waiting to jump on that plane.

Would you kindly update us when you get your oath letter in the mail? I'm waiting on mine too. :)

martin307 said:
Would you kindly update us when you get your oath letter in the mail? I'm waiting on mine too. :)

Got my Oath letter last week Wednesday.The Oath Ceremony will be taking place tomorrow on the 28th of June,2005,8.00AM.

congrat!

i found out NYC usually sends out the oath letter 2-3 weeks (max) after the interview was done, passed, no name check pending.

my friend got her oath letter 2 weeks after her interview.

ocworker said:
congrat!

i found out NYC usually sends out the oath letter 2-3 weeks (max) after the interview was done, passed, no name check pending.

my friend got her oath letter 2 weeks after her interview.

Oath ceremony was here in Brooklyn at 8AM,it took about 2 and half hours. Someone was asking about bringing a minor to the ceremony??Yes they did allow a few ppl with their minor children in.

Thank you guys very much for all the information on this forum,you have beed a great support.

Off now to get passport to travel :D :D :D

NYC400 said:
Oath ceremony was here in Brooklyn at 8AM,it took about 2 and half hours. Someone was asking about bringing a minor to the ceremony??Yes they did allow a few ppl with their minor children in.

Thank you guys very much for all the information on this forum,you have beed a great support.

Off now to get passport to travel :D :D :D

Congratulations!