NY Federal Plaza Stamping instructions.

sam_sl

Registered Users (C)
Update: NY Federal Plaza Stamping instructions.

I went to NY Federal plaza get I-551 stamp yesterday. Went without Infopass appointment. Got on theline at about 8.40am.

Here are some useful information to guys who will go there for stamping.
1. Advisebale to carry the minimum possible number of metal objects in your pockets bags etc. so you will have no hassle in entrance. I carried everything in an envelope I was through security really quickly. You cannot call guards friendly. But they are professional. (Worth st. entrance.)

2. Letter says to go to room I-102. There is no such room there. Letter has old information. I tried 10th floor. Then I could get hold of a internal mail delivery guy to find location.
Go to Room 310 on 3rd floor first. You can get in line and get electronic token there. Line is long. But it moves fast. I got token by 9.30am.You will be asked to shut off cell phone. Then you will be directed to Room 300 to wait until your number is called.

3. There you will have a set of counters like DMV. When your turn comes an officer will ask for the approval notice, passport with I-94 & pictures. (I gave courtesy copy only even though I had original with me. You will not get this back. Also pictures must be new frontal face format.). Then officer will fill out a form by hand with your name and A#. I watched like a hawk for any mistake. Also officer will ask your current address to mail the card. then they will take your right index finger print and signature on the form he filled. Letter does not say to bring old APs & EADs. However they will ask for them and take them all. After the once again you will be waiting for the PP to be stamped. There was one officer for that row of counters stamping all collected passports and checking something on the computer. Then your number will be called again and passport will be returned to you. Then officer will tell you 'Congratulations now you are a permanent resident' without any facial expressions whatsoever. In fact all officers left their smiles at entrance security to pick up on the way home I guess.
None of the documents you handover will be returned except the passport.

After this step you will feel good and go home.
I asked the officer whether he can check anything about my wife's pending case. He said he cannot check anything.

I was out of the bldg around 12.15

See post #56 for updated instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an infopass appointment for next Friday at Federal Plaza. (Maybe I didn't need it?) Your post is very helpful. Thanks.

At the place you wait in line for electronic token you will see a amall sign saying 'Infopass appointment required effective from 09/??/04' Just dont worry about it. They will scan your approval notice and issue token.

How long will get the plastic card after stamping

Anyone knows how long it takes from the stamping to we receive the card? Is that different from the location we stamping or we all depents on Vermont Center?

Sam SL,

Because of your post:
(i) I could help other people in the foyer who were about to go to the wrong floor for the stamping.
(ii) Had all my EADs and APs ready. The clerk took them all.
(iii) Watched as someone had to leave after finally getting called to the counter after the 2 hour wait. They had 3/4 face rather than full face photos.
It seems if you only followed the directions on the approval notice, you'd never make it to the stamp!

So thanks for taking the time to post the information on your experience. It was a lot of help.

laptop said:
Sam SL,

Because of your post:
(i) I could help other people in the foyer who were about to go to the wrong floor for the stamping.
(ii) Had all my EADs and APs ready. The clerk took them all.
(iii) Watched as someone had to leave after finally getting called to the counter after the 2 hour wait. They had 3/4 face rather than full face photos.
It seems if you only followed the directions on the approval notice, you'd never make it to the stamp!

So thanks for taking the time to post the information on your experience. It was a lot of help.

Great. Enjoy the new feeling.
Did LUD or message change about card ordering after the stamping?
Nothing changed in mine.

sam_sl said:
Great. Enjoy the new feeling.
Did LUD or message change about card ordering after the stamping?
Nothing changed in mine.

Only got the stamp yesterday - so not sure when/if I should expect an LUD. Will let you know. Have you seen any sort of trend on this?

sam_sl

Thanks for your informative post.

I am planning to visit 26 Federal Plaza tomorrow for passport stamping and will update the thread.

Sam & usnycus:

For stamping, What type of photograph you provided?

ADIT Type or Front face?

Please reply

Got PP stamped today in NYC and following are the details:

Arrived at Worth Street entrance around 8:00 AM and it took approx. 5 minutes to get into the building after going through routine security check. Please note that I just showed up there without infopass appointment. Guards at entrance were only checking Approval notice and valid photo ID.

After clearing security, as “sam_sl” instructed, I went straight to room 310 (3rd floor) to get into line. It took almost 20 minutes to get electronic ticket (like they issue at DMV with a number on it) and lady at the counter (room 310) instructed me to go to room 300.

Room 300 was like a big hall and had counters like DMV office with around 50 people sitting. At 9:30 my number started displaying along with counter #12 and I went to counter #12. Officer at that counter asked me the approval notice and passport. She went through the passport and took I-94 out of the passport She also told me I no longer need H1B and started writing “COWP”. She took fingerprint on a form and asked me to sign the form. After going through all the formalities, she instructed me to sit and wait for my number to be called again. She gave me back the electronic ticket so that I can collect my passport.

Around 10:30, counter #15 announced my number again and I went there to get in the line. Officers were asking four-five people to come at the same time. Within 5 minutes I was in front of the counter and showed my electronic ticket. She opened my passport and showed me 551-stamp (along with validity date & A#) and told me that I should be getting GC in mail. According to her it's taking from 3 months to 6 months.

They never asked me for EAD/AP and I also decided not to mention about them. I was out in another 5 minutes.

I would be going to Federal Plaza on friday. Can anyone clarify as what kind of photographs exactly do I need?
My approval notice says 'take 2 ADIT style color photos,that show three-quarter frontal profile of the right side of your face, with your right ear visible'.
But, I've been reading in this forum that everyone takes a frontal-face photo

So, even though my approval notice says ADIT style, should I take with me frontal-face style ?

usnycus said:
Got PP stamped today in NYC and following are the details:

Arrived at Worth Street entrance around 8:00 AM and it took approx. 5 minutes to get into the building after going through routine security check. Please note that I just showed up there without infopass appointment. Guards at entrance were only checking Approval notice and valid photo ID.

After clearing security, as “sam_sl” instructed, I went straight to room 310 (3rd floor) to get into line. It took almost 20 minutes to get electronic ticket (like they issue at DMV with a number on it) and lady at the counter (room 310) instructed me to go to room 300.

Room 300 was like a big hall and had counters like DMV office with around 50 people sitting. At 9:30 my number started displaying along with counter #12 and I went to counter #12. Officer at that counter asked me the approval notice and passport. She went through the passport and took I-94 out of the passport She also told me I no longer need H1B and started writing “COWP”. She took fingerprint on a form and asked me to sign the form. After going through all the formalities, she instructed me to sit and wait for my number to be called again. She gave me back the electronic ticket so that I can collect my passport.

Around 10:30, counter #15 announced my number again and I went there to get in the line. Officers were asking four-five people to come at the same time. Within 5 minutes I was in front of the counter and showed my electronic ticket. She opened my passport and showed me 551-stamp (along with validity date & A#) and told me that I should be getting GC in mail. According to her it's taking from 3 months to 6 months.

They never asked me for EAD/AP and I also decided not to mention about them. I was out in another 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take frontal photo. I saw people having ADIT style photo turned away by officers. Check following link for details:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/04_08_02photo_release.pdf

vascan said:
I would be going to Federal Plaza on friday. Can anyone clarify as what kind of photographs exactly do I need?
My approval notice says 'take 2 ADIT style color photos,that show three-quarter frontal profile of the right side of your face, with your right ear visible'.
But, I've been reading in this forum that everyone takes a frontal-face photo

So, even though my approval notice says ADIT style, should I take with me frontal-face style ?

Hi all,

Isn't there a big line outside the federal plaza building. Do you skip the line for passport stamping? I am wondering since some of you mentioned you didnt' take infopass apt. Anyone with exp with infopass, please post.

Also is there a particular day of week for NY passport stamping?

Try going early in the morning and at the gate on Worth Street. Usually only 10-15 people are standing at that entrance.

Also, I went there on Friday as per approval letter.

ak2002 said:
Isn't there a big line outside the federal plaza building. Do you skip the line for passport stamping? I am wondering since some of you mentioned you didnt' take infopass apt. Anyone with exp with infopass, please post.

Also is there a particular day of week for NY passport stamping?

Social security card update

I had heard that after you get your passport stamped you also need to get Social security office to remove the condition on your SSCard and send you a new card. Anyone with experience of doing the same at NY Federal plaza same day as stamping, please post exp.

Replace word "need" with "Want".

It's upto you if you want to get that done the same day you are going for stamping.

ak2002 said:
I had heard that after you get your passport stamped you also need to get Social security office to remove the condition on your SSCard and send you a new card. Anyone with experience of doing the same at NY Federal plaza same day as stamping, please post exp.

I(and my wife) went to Federal Plaza for stamping.Reached there at 9.15 a.m.
The approval letter directed me to go on Friday.My attorney suggested to go with an Infopass.So, got the Infopass for friday 19th.
Went to Worth street entrance..They directed us to go to the main entrance(I think all Infopass should enter via main entrance).
Got a token in Room 310 and waited in Room 300 for an hour.
Finally, got the stamping and were out at around 12.30 p.m.
Such a simple stamping( like the ECNR stamp you get in india), you might feel that, is this what for I waited for so long..