NVC Consulate Assignment

GS28

Registered Users (C)
Hey folks:

My I-824 (EB4-Relg Worker) was approved by TSC last week. I got an electronic notification, and I just got this email from my lawyer:

"I wanted to let you know that we got the approval notice for the I-824 and it indicates a cable was sent to New Delhi, but the approved petition file was sent to the NVC. Once we know the NVC has the file, we will request that you be processed in Mumbai. I cannot guarantee they will change it, but we will try."

I checked the original I-360 application, and though it lists my permanent Indian address in the jurisdiction of the Mumbai consulate, the request was that New Delhi be notified.

When the NVC gets this case, (they haven't received it yet), it's likely they might assign it to New Delhi.

If this happens - how easy is it to get them to change it, especially since, in this case the "fault" is mine (rather my lawyer's)? I've researched the forums, and it seems that my lawyer will have to contact the NVC and request a change (more delays!). However, I didn't see anyone posting anything about a successful change.

If NVC doesn't change it, does this mean I have to go to New Delhi? Wouldn't the Embassy in New Delhi object, because I'm in Mumbai's jursidiction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [Of course, the Delhi assignment hasn't happened yet ... !] Thanks!

I think we had few cases like yours posted in this forum. And I believe those guys (lawyers) were successful in getting consulate changed. So I suppose it would be easy for your lawyer as well.
NVC will change it, but just in case if it doesn't change it: New Delhi consulate shouldn't have any objection because of your jurisdiction. I have seen Chennai people getting Mumbai consulate and stuff like that. FYI, If you get Delhi consulate and you later change it to Mumbai your case number will still show as Delhi not as BMB. It is always better if you get a consulate close to your place, but if that doesn't happen then this forum comes very handy.
Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
GS28,

Ram is right. Once NVC gets ur case, ur lawyer will need to contact them and make a request to get ur consulate re-assigned to ur liking. It does cause some dealys...in our case it was about 1 month.

also, in our case first we were assigned Chennai consulate even though the 140 explicitly specified Mumbai consulate. Initially, we had a 'MDR' case number assigned. After we got the consulate change completed, we got a 'BMB' case number. And I can still check my case status over AVM using both case nubmers...i dont know how that works. but just to be sure, i checked my case status with my 140 receipt number and saw that it was 'tied' to my 'BMB' case number.

good luck!

Thanks!

Ram_frm_RIC and praytx: thanks so much for your prompt responses! That is a bit reassuring. If I end up with Delhi that is actually not that bad a deal - my brother lives there. Mumbai is a lot more familiar, that's all. And I didn't know if Delhi would have issues with me being from out of their jurisdiction. Let's see what the NVC does. Thanks again! :)

GS28,

My case was also wrongly assigned to Mumbai instead of Chennai, thanks to praytx's suggestion I had my lawyer fax the request for change to NVC, within 2 weeks Chennai case number was assigned. As praytx pointed, I could access my case with both BMB and MDR numbers, after P3 review my case was forwarded to Chennai..

-sg

srinivas,

looks like we had our consualtes swapped:) btw, what stage r u at now? we ourselves are waiting for P4 from consulate.

good luck

Yes praytx, they sure got swapped.

My case was sent to consulate on 01/26.. Probably my interview would be in April..

-sg