NSC Progress Updates

abc3 said:
SEPT,
My wait time is not too long. Filed 140/485 on 08/25/2005, EB3.
But if I consider my labour PD Aug2002, if feels like too long. Labour took 2 years to clear.
6 years on H1B complete. Applied for 7th year extension (another $1700.00 of my earnings lost for filing extension + 5000 to date for GC).

I still have 2yrs on my H1B. However, the way things are going, I guess there is I might have to get into my 7th-8th---year as well :eek:

Why don't use your EAD?

snafu said:
Just filed for 7th year extension. Cost me an additional $2200. I also paid $10000 for an existing labor(Attorney fees for GC and other expenses NOT included) :confused:
Snafu,
What is the point in spending $2200 for H1 extenstion, eventhough you have EAD handy?. Does it has some advantage being on H1 than on EAD?, just curious to know .. i am also at the end of my 6 years. Thanks

J2k4 said:
Snafu,
What is the point in spending $2200 for H1 extenstion, eventhough you have EAD handy?. Does it has some advantage being on H1 than on EAD?, just curious to know .. i am also at the end of my 6 years. Thanks

That way, even if I-140 gets regretted, you are with a legal status.

what if you have 140 Approved!

Sept03NIW said:
That way, even if I-140 gets regretted, you are with a legal status.
What if we have approved I-140, is it better to use EAD?, or still better to extend H1 for 7th year. Thanks for update.

J2k4 said:
What if we have approved I-140, is it better to use EAD?, or still better to extend H1 for 7th year. Thanks for update.

As I understand, once you have an approved I 140, chances of 485 approval are extremely high. So it is much safer to switch to your EAD at that stage, rather than with a pending 140. However, consult the Gurus for the final word on the subject :)

Using EAD...

J2k4 said:
Snafu,
It is not recommended to use EAD if the I-140 has not been approved. If at this stage my I-140 gets rejected, I'll not be able to stay here beyond 6 years. I'll have to leave the country for 1 year. Now if I apply for extension, I'll stil be able to stay for one more year regardless of the approval/debial of my I-140. If my I-140 gets denied, I can look(shop!) around for another pre-approved labor and apply for I-140. in this way, I'll be able to extend my stay indefinitely, if I choose to.
If my I-140 gets denied, I'll appeal and if all else fails, I'll go back home and come back after 1 year. Its better than getting stuck with the same employer indefinitely. I've had enough of my current employer.

snafu said:
It is not recommended to use EAD if the I-140 has not been approved. If at this stage my I-140 gets rejected, I'll not be able to stay here beyond 6 years. I'll have to leave the country for 1 year. Now if I apply for extension, I'll stil be able to stay for one more year regardless of the approval/debial of my I-140. If my I-140 gets denied, I can look(shop!) around for another pre-approved labor and apply for I-140. in this way, I'll be able to extend my stay indefinitely, if I choose to.
If my I-140 gets denied, I'll appeal and if all else fails, I'll go back home and come back after 1 year. Its better than getting stuck with the same employer indefinitely. I've had enough of my current employer.

Snafu

After you are done with your first lot of H1, I thought you had to stay out of the country for 2yrs. Is the time period one year?

Thanks for the info!----I like your plan, incidentally.

I might be wrong..

Sept03NIW said:
Snafu

After you are done with your first lot of H1, I thought you had to stay out of the country for 2yrs. Is the time period one year?

Thanks for the info!----I like your plan, incidentally.
.. but I'm pretty sure its one year.
BTW: You are welcome.